What's new

Why is the R2 "24" so Much Better than the R1 Version? (1 Viewer)

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
I had the R1 version but recently sold it in a lot with other DVD's and picked up the R2 version of "24." I did this because I heard the R2 version has a few extended scenes from the last batch of episodes that were never shown in America or in the R1 release.

I get it in the mail, and I notice that the cover art is immediately better. Even the "2" and the "4" are in 3-D/raised off the packaging. They have pictures inside from throughout the entire "day" in the show, not just publicity shots like the R1. The discs are even labeled better as they state something to the effect of, "This disc takes place between the hours of 12pm and 4pm"

Lastly, I popped in the dvd disc. For the R1 version, it's just a boring static photo of Bauer or Palmer with the four episodes labeled on the screen for viewing. With the R2 version, we have moving, interactive menu's, with scenes from the show and audio making it very attractive. Nothing that will make or break the significance of the set, but it does make it much better.

And on top of that, we have chapter stops for the R2 version which the R1 version just doesn't have. There's also the "previously on" segments that come in handy if you haven't been watching for three or four days and need a recap. R1 has NONE of this.

So, I'm curious, what's the deal with this? The R2 version came out a whole month before the R1 version! Why did America get ripped off so badly? If you are a fan of the show and DVD sets, I strongly recommend the R2 version.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Yeah, I was disappointed that Fox didn't replicate the R2 version (which I've only read about and seen pictures of) here. The artwork on the R2 is much better. The R1 artwork matches the Season 2 motif, and I imagine that's why they went with it -- as a marketing tool for Season 2.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I'm actually glad Fox didn't include the extended episodes for the R1 version. Just like I always want the original theatrical cut of a film to be included on a DVD, the same goes for a TV show. Although I would've had no problem with the extra footage being offered in a deleted scenes section along with the alternate ending.

As for the rest of the R2 advantages, I can't argue with them. The missing chapter stops makes no sense whatsoever, unless it was requested by the show's producers(ala David Lynch). And the removal of the "Previously on" intros is something I've been complaining about with Fox and their R1 releases for a long time now. It's one of the biggest reasons I have yet to replace my R4 Buffy Season 3 box set. As for the nicer packaging, again it's one reason why I may never replace the R2 Buffy and Angel sets which come in that cool book design.

One thing you failed to mention however is the PAL speedup you'll have to deal with by getting the R2 version. I probably wouldn't mind on a show like 24, but I know a lot of folks around here would.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Mike-M, did you get it from Amazon.co.uk? As season 2 of 24 has started to reveal that the quality of season 1 was just a fluke, I am more tempted to get this.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe, I'm still enjoying season 2, Will, though I will admit it DOES get ridiculous sometimes with some of these filler plot points. I pretty much watch for Bauer/Palmer, but I agree that season 1 is superior.

But yes, I bought it from Amazon UK, and I recommend it if you want a "24" box set.

One more thing:

Adam,

As far as the extra scenes go, this is different. These aren't deleted scenes or anything, these are scenes that were cut at the last minute to allow for more commercial time. You may know (or maybe not), but one scene that was cut that's in the UK version is a pivotal scene that changes the way you look at the final minute of the final episode.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
You may know (or maybe not), but one scene that was cut that's in the UK version is a pivotal scene that changes the way you look at the final minute of the final episode.
included in the season finale. Therefore, I'll respect that decision.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
One point

"Previously On"'s are not removed, they are not on the masters they use. The US DVDs are taken from the master tapes. They hand that off to another editor, which creates the new "previously" package and passes that off to someone else. The "Next time on X" is also prepared seperately.

If Fox is reading this, I WOULD like to take this time to remind you that on Buffy 522 "The Gift" the Previously On was very special and NOT included in the R2, please correct that.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
If Fox is reading this, I WOULD like to take this time to remind you that on Buffy 522 "The Gift" the Previously On was very special and NOT included in the R2, please correct that.
Jeff

It really was very special and important to the series and it definitely is on my R2 disc so I can't imagine why it's not on yours.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
From Buffy Season 3 and Angel Season 2 onward, the R2 and R4 sets all have the "Previously on" intros included. Trust me, I own them.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Personally, I enjoyed the show more without the "previously" teaser on it, at least with the DVDs. With broadcast I can understand the need for them, but on the DVDs, I enjoyed watching it more like a seamless (nearly) 24 hour long movie, knowing that once an episode ends, I could jump right back into the action at that exact moment! It was great!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I promised Peter if he gave us R1 Buffy I wouldn't buy R2

I was told they weren't on there, my mistake

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I never liked how the show stopped the 'Events Occur in Real-time' slogan. I know it would have gotten redundant after a while, however, I always thought it was a cool line.

And yes, 'boo' to the "previously on" for 24 Season 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks