What's new

Why is DLP so unpopular? (1 Viewer)

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I'm in the middle of calibrating my new 61" samsung and I'm having trouble. Nothing looks good on it? I can't get it to look anything like an HDTV. Would someone who has a similar dlp, send me a PM and help me out? I'm just don't understand...all the pictures ive seen of this tv look so clean, but mine looks like if you were standing too close to an older tv. ugg

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Man,

I wish I lived somewhere so scenic to claim #4.. I have some great flower shots and lots of great photos of my car, that's about all there is to take pictures of around here, unless I want to drive for hours
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ted cruz

Auditioning
Just spoke to Andersen's TV rep. I wanted the Mitsu WD-65835 65 inch, Costco $2400. It has 120 Hz rather than 60 Hz refresh rate to reduce motion blur (especially good for sports), which is a new technology. A comparable LCD would probably cost around $4,000 conservatively. The mitsu bulb runs out around every 2 years at $100 a pop. The mitsu picture is much better or at least as good. 2 years x 5 bulbs = $500 for 10 years, $1000 for 20 years. So I still save a lot of money over the long run. It appears the unpopularity is due to changing the bulbs, and the non-flat panel design. I thought changing bulbs was a pain and swore never to buy a DLP again. But looking at the savings and getting 65 inches at that price point, my view has changed and I will get the Mitsu DLP.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Did he say how often you'd be changing out the color wheel? They don't last forever either. The bulb type DLPs use more power and put out more heat, than the LED models too. That part may or may not be that noticeable to you.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I can usually see a downside to most technologies, but I can't see a downside to the Phlatlight LED setup. It has color accuracy, longevity and wicked fast response times. If these manufacturers would put better optics in the light engine, these cabinets could get even more thin. They will never be "flat" but I bet they could shave another 3" off the depth of the cabinet with better optics.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For me the biggest problem is the significant light roll-off when viewing from off to the side. This is a practical matter for me, since I'll watch from the kitchen when cooking, and that's about 60-deg off-axis, where you see the drop off. After seeing that, I've realized that DLP is not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks