What's new

Why Is De Palma's FEMME FATALE not available on Blu-ray anywhere in the world? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am scratching my head here. This film is one of De Palma's strongest in a great long while.

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
It's a bad movie, and I really don't know what kind of answers are you seeking for with these request threads? No one here works for WB.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would guess that Warners (and other studios) make educated guesses based on the sales of a movie on DVD and the state of the current market and they decided that Femme Fatale wouldn't be worth releasing on Blu-ray. Of course, I'm sure almost every small Blu-ray company would license the title but it's Warners so that more or less won't happen.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It was a box office flop and lost money and reviews were mixed. So perhaps Warners thinks it won't be "profitable".

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It's a bad movie, and I really don't know what kind of answers are you seeking for with these request threads? No one here works for WB.
It's a "bad movie" according to you, fine. I happen like it more than any De Palma film since its release. I don't expect answers. Like many such threads by many, many members here, this is hypothetical. Horribly sorry if my post offended you, sir, but your sarcasm is uncalled for... :)

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It seems a natural for the Warner Archive's Blu-ray program. I'm also a fan.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I enjoyed it and would buy it if it's released.

And I work for Warner Brothers

Actually....I don't. :D

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I would say it and Bonfire of The Vanities are underrated ... but I would say I think DePalma is an awesome director when he is trying to be DePalma and not Mr. Hitchcock et al :cool:

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I think Femme Fatale is his last great movie up to date. I went to the theater to see it the day it opened and I was surprised at how good it was. I thought everyone was perfectly cast, great locations confusing story at first viewing. Great mood in many scenes, the score helped tremendously. Just loved how it all came together in the end. I know the film was financed by foreign companies. I wouldn't be surprised if WB loses distribution (Not sure if they have full U.S. rights for good or if they could run out)

I will agree it would be a great title for WB Archive to release.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Could one of the mods please fix the title. There are certainly far worse movies that have a Bluray release and I'll never turn down a chance of an extra De Palma film

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
September has been De Palma month in my home theater. I had planned to do a September De Palma "festival" when I saw that both the new documentary De Palma and a blu-ray of Raising Cain were being released this month. So, I kicked off the month with a viewing of Sisters on blu from Arrow, and rolled through Phantom of the Paradise, Obsession (also a great Arrow blu), Carrie, The Fury, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, Body Double, Bonfire, Snake Eyes, Redacted, and The Black Dahlia so far this month...not exactly in that order. It was my first time seeing Redacted and The Black Dahlia (which people warned me to avoid they felt it was so awful) and I loved The Black Dahlia but sort of felt Redacted was something De Palma had already done with Casualties of War. I understand his reasoning behind doing two films about what is a horrific topic but I have to say the films are so effective that I had a hard time watching both due to the subject matter and content. Painful to watch and not films I want to revisit due to this fact. Casualties is the better of the two in terms of beautiful filmmaking but the film puts you through the wringer. Which is why I am not revisiting it as part of De Palma-fest.

I of course also watched the new De Palma documentary, which I highly recommend, and the "director's cut" (which is really a De Palma approved fan edit) on the second disc of the new Raising Cain blu-ray set. The Raising Cain
"director's/fan cut" is a lot of fun as it reflects, according to De Palma and the guy who actually did this cut, how De Palma had originally intended to structure the film. It works and was like seeing the film for the first time. Before the month is out I plan to watch Passion, Femme Fatale, and the theatrical cut of Raising Cain.

Would I buy a blu-ray of Femme Fatale? You bet, and I think Warner Archive are the ones to do it. I hope that the new De Palma documentary brings more people to appreciate and understand the work of Mr. De Palma...who is truly a master of suspense.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...The Black Dahlia (which people warned me to avoid they felt it was so awful) and I loved The Black Dahlia...
There's parts of that movie that work for me but I love the book so I was let down by the movie as a whole. To be fair, they probably needed to do a page by page adaptation to have really satisfied me.

...and the "director's cut" (which is really a De Palma approved fan edit) on the second disc of the new Raising Cain blu-ray set. The Raising Cain
"director's/fan cut" is a lot of fun as it reflects, according to De Palma and the guy who actually did this cut, how De Palma had originally intended to structure the film. It works and was like seeing the film for the first time.
I couldn't believe how much better Raising Cain was in its "director's cut". I liked the movie in its original version (mostly due to Lithgow's performances and the usual DePalma cinematic flourishes) but I found the recut to be a much better movie. It shows how important editing can be.

The documentary DePalma played at the art theater near me last night but I couldn't make it so I'll probably pick up the Blu-ray at some point.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, I would say if you like De Palma and his work you will love the documentary. Which is basically one long sit down with De Palma where he discusses each of his films in chronological order while they cut clips of the films and films that inspired him into the shot of him talking in front of Noah Baumbach's fireplace I believe. The great thing about it is De Palma pulls no punches and is wonderfully candid.

And to come back to the film mentioned in the title of this post, I think Femme Fatale is a good film. It is De Palma working the thriller genre on his own terms and having fun with it once again. I love his thrillers and they seem to always reflect his love of movies...mainly in a big overt way which I think turns some people off because he cares less about "realism" than he does a great "movie moment" but that is the point and why so many of us love his films. He never hides his love of movies when he is making them.

On The Black Dahlia, Travis, have you read The Black Dahlia Avenger by Steve Hodel? It is truly fascinating stuff and the son reveals his father George Hill Hodel was the killer, likely assisted in the crime by Fred Sexton--the guy that made the falcon statue for John Huston's The Maltese Falcon!

This was the only thing that bugged me about The Black Dahlia movie...by the time I got around to seeing it I had already read Steve Hodel's book and so I was not so much thinking about Ellroy's novel when I was watching it (which I had read so long ago it did not affect my viewing) but I was thinking about Hodel's book and how I wanted to see the true story turned into a film and how riveting and twisted that would be. So, I guess both Ellroy's novel and the film made of it were ruined for me by the truth about the Dahlia case.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had no idea there is a dir cut of Cain.

I think FF is a terrific movie and would love to watch it again but all i have is the old snapper dvd.
Gets that's there's gonna be.

BTW De Plama's
:rolling-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks