Why I will buy another Saab

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Grant B, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

We were up at Lake Tahoe for a few days and I was by myself looking to pick up a Bday present for my wife.
    Waiting to pull out of a parking lot I was hit by a large SUV going pretty fast. Well my 96 Saab 900s was totaled as can be expected. The SUV ran up the hood on the drivers side - me being the driver. I walked away with a sore arm; the SUV driver was taken out on a Stretcher and an ambulance. I know there are many variables in a accident but looking at the size and weight difference and by the amount of damage on my car; I give a lot of credit to Saab that I am here typing today.
    Something to consider when looking for a car

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Post Pictures!!!

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Sorry, if I knew I was going to total my car, I would have packed my digital camera. It's 5 hours away now in a lot.

4. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Glad to hear everything is alright...

Guess you can chalk one up for the "litte" guys....those damn SUV drivers think they're invincible!

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    pff, someone needs to learn how to be prepared.

kidding of course, glad to hear you are ok in the crash. after 9 years of driving, every one of my friends has been involved in some sort of auto accident, but not me. i hear they are awful to be involved in.

CJ

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Swedish? eh, sort of.
    Saab is owned by GM and Volvo is owned by Ford. I don't know for certain that they're even built in europe.
    The new saab (9-5 wagon I think?) is a rebadged subaru impreza wagon, subaru is partly owned by GM.

8. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

and Wal Mart owns them all...[​IMG]

9. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

The 900 has a remarkable safety record due mostly to its being designed to shelter passengers from harm when center-punching an elk at highway speed. The longitudinal engine is designed to submarine under the passenger compartment and the entire body has crumple zones along with solid steel sub-frame and reinforcements for the passenger compartment cage as well as the engine bay. They were exceptionally strong. Pity they don't make them any longer. I loved mine.

GM owns Saab and is largely hands-off when it comes to management and design deicisions though the first thing they insisted on were cupholders. Sweden was unaware that Americans like to drink while driving.

Ford owns Volvo outright.

The Saab 92 is a re-badged Subaru Impreza.

The Saab 95 is their large sedan/wagon and is not a rebadged anything.

The Saab 93 is based on the GM Epsilon platform and is their mid-size car.

Saab may be doing an SUV. They are currently working on switching their entire line to AWD. Expect more work with Subaru (another company GM owns an interest in, albeit a minor one).

All the cars are manufactured in Sweden, except for the 93 convertible, which is made in Finland, and the 92, which is made in Japan.

Sweden does not produce any other marques nor does any other Scandinavian country.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I wouldn't consider 20 percent share in fuji heavy industry, the company that owns subaru, a small share. They are the largest shareholder in that company.

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Subaru cars are quite well build in their own right. I am seriously considering the 2005 Sabaru Outback wagon.

On the other hand, still waiting for Ikea to come out with their own car. [​IMG]

Glad you're OK, Grant [​IMG]

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Thanks everyone!
    Compared to my last accident, this one was a breeze!
    That one the police took their time because they assumed everyone was dead. Don't remember much of the next two years

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I once read a quote from consumer reports that said something about how you're more apt to get hurt in an SUV rollover than a car. They said something like "When an SUV flips, limbs are easily lost".

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer

It's funny so many people have told me they have a SUV for safety in accidents just like the one I was in.
    I owned a Jeep before the SAAB and I will never forget the time I tried to park on a 30% grade and could feel gravity pulling me over....and that was on dry pavement. Besides that, the Jeep had a habit of dying in bad places....on the Bay Bridge....on the way to a U2 concert etc etc.
    Thank God I was not in that piece of crap!
    Off to the doctors; wish me luck!

15. BrianBo

BrianBo Stunt Coordinator

Saab is the shiz...

16. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Volvo, Jaguar, and Aston Martin are all Ford owned, as well as Land Rover and Mazda--although I'm not 100% sure if those last two are wholly owned by Ford.

Volvos are made in Sweden and elsewhere in Europe. I toured the factory in Trollhatten, Sweden last month. There, they build the XC90, V70, S80, and S60 all on the same assembly line.

Some Volvo models are made elsewhere in Europe. My S60 R was assembled in Ghent, Belgium (on January 12th). Volvo used to build the S40/V40 sedans and wagons in The Netherlands, if I recall correctly. I don't know where they're made these days.

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

to answer your question, ford owns about 33.4% of mazda last I read.

18. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

My 95 9000 was hit broadside last Thursday night. The passenger doors were pushed in about 18". After I was hit I spun into another car coming towards me. That driver
    estimated the other car was going 40+

Once the car stopped moving I opened the door and stepped out. No bruises, no stiffness and no scratches or injuries.
    The police and paramedics were quite surprised I was unhurt.

Even the next day I felt fine. No soreness or anything.

I was lucky there was no one riding with me in the passenger seat.

Tim

19. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    SAAB's are very, very safe cars. I had a friend of mine spin out on some ice on the freeway in his 1980's chevy police cruiser boat and a Saab hit him head on doing over 70 MPH. Both walked away from the wreck without so much as a scratch. The saab was crushed pretty much up to the windshield.

Audi's are right up there as well.. The new A4 has been well lauded as very safe.

I'm acutally on my second one. I had a 2002 A4 1.8T and someone ran into the back of the car doing 60. I was at a stop in bad traffic on the freeway. I was pushed into the car in front of me. The car was totalled out with 22,000 in damages, but my wife and I were fine outside of being shaken up.

I bought a 2003 A4 3.0. [​IMG]