What's new

Why don't we see more R-rated movies nowadays? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I agree with Jason that the rating "R" vs "PG-13" is fairly meaningless if you are over 17. Also, since I remember the days before PG-13 when there was just PG, I think they moved some of the softer elements of the old "R"'s into the PG-13 ratings. The PG-13's can get fairly violent when they want (LotR's for example), the primary restriction on "R"'s seems to be nudity/sex and extreme violence.

Ironically, even the matrix might have sneaked into a PG13 except for the drug references and that the violence was targeted at police. Both of those items helped get it an R, not the violence on the whole. Studios still release R rated movies when they have to and many directors can make their movies an R if they wish.

Ultimately, a popular movie will make money regardless of its rating. Basic Instinct, Matrix, The Passion, and others all made lots of money as R's. There are plenty of PG-13's that lose money because they are lousy. If Hollywood could figure out how to make more popular movies much of the rating discussion would be moot.

Kenneth

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
As an adult, I don't even look at the rating of a movie in deciding whether to see it. I would if I were taking kids to see something. I imagine many people, maybe most, are the same way.

Rob T

Screenwriter

Same here.
I like good G-rated movies just as much as I like good R-rated movies. :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I think this conversation is amusing, because time and time again at the rental store we'd comb through the many releases we'd not heard of (ie independent releases, I grew up in the midwest), read it, think it sounded really good something that would appeal to the family, then scan down and see it was R. We'd literally go down the new release section looking for something, anything (because we'd seen most of the big releases we were interested in), but nope, R R R R R R R R R and more Rs. And if it's an R on a small movie we knew from experience there was probably a lot of needless swearing and or sex or at least promiscuous sexual attitudes and behavior that really served no purpose (in our minds) except to make the characters repellant and the story not worth seeing. Because if we weren't able to watch it comfortably together as a family, it's not really worth it.

The breaking point was when I hit freshman/sophmore year of highschool and discovered 'film/cinema' I got my mom to rent Magnolia, she screened part of it and turned it off as filth when Tom Cruise started in. I later snuck up around midnight (this was a weekend) and put it in, I was completely sucked in by Tom Cruise, Philip Seymour Hoffman and the little Boy's performance and just blown away by how well the R elements worked in the context of the characters. But it's not a movie I'd watch with my mom or sisters or even think of suggesting they watch, even if it's one of my favorite films. But after that point I was able to rent movies for myself if I wanted to, but I still preferred to watch films with my family, and the R rating on so many films that don't need it continues to frustrate me.

If I want soft core TandA I'll watch late night HBO, but I don't want that, I ODed on it when I was twelve/thirteen like most others I suppose (is it even made for any other audience?), and I'd prefer it wasn't in the films I watch either. If it is necessary then I'll accept it and move on, no problem--the sex scene in Network for example--but it rarely is, in my opinion.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

It's one thing if you dont like R rated films. Thats fine. No harm done. Not everyone does and it's understandable. It's another to bring up the words Pokemon 4Ever as a defense to this opinion above which is just one of the most ludicrous things I have ever heard.

I happen to like my share of Anime (some of which is very well done), so I need to comment on Pokemon 4ever.

You list Pokemon 4ever as being creative and a blossom to the movie industry? Yes, I have seen it. Is this a joke? I am serious. I dont understand if you were being serious or just put that there to get some laughs for amusement?

You are talking about a movie that was critically & publically panned by almost everyone in existance, even the children it was geared to. It was also a disasterous theatrical bomb which pulled in just over $1,500,000 dollars. Do you know how disasterous such a performance is? It makes Gigli look like a Box Office Hit in comparison.

A movie (one of the only ones geared to children) that a 5 year old & 8 year old we took to see this movie begged to go home and said they would rather do homework instead.

What exactly was creative about it? It was a churned sequel that had not one drop of imagination whatsoever. It was produced to sell a toy line. Thats not imagination. It wasnt even fun. It was also an embarrassment to Anime. No wonder more people dont give it a chance.

Dont get me wrong, I love my share of trash so to speak, but if your going for creativity, candy, and roses, that sure was a horrid example.

I hate to say, but some people want realism in some of their choices. Not everything of course, but some movies I expect realism out of so I can take it seriously. Of course realism is not for everyone. Yet, many people (some who I have known) who claim to be against realism in movies sure love to watch The News everyday. Dont think you can get any more real than that.

You are against realism in movies yet watch shows like Law and Order? Isnt that a bit of a contradiction seeing as Law and Order is a show that basis itself in reality?

I also hate to burst the bubble. Of course many R rated film suck. But many G rated, PG rated, and Pg 13 rated films suck as well.

Lets face it. If your looking at a movie as a whole (not just for entertainment, but every aspect), you will find the majority of movies suck.

If you dont want R rated material. Fine & Dandy. Dont see it. It's all really very simple. I dont understand what the big deal is. I mean seriously. Just because you dont like something, no one else is suppose to like it either?

What if someone said that Pokemon as we know it should be banished and started to destroy everything involved with it? Would you be ok with that too?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What is this Poke mon? Please I learn. :crazy:

I miss the 70's, x-rated Hammer horror, lesbian vampires, gratuitous sex and violence, creaky silly 'worshipping flying stone heads' sci-fi cinema, crikey! ;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[rant]Zardoz has spoken![/rant]

Naughty, naughty! You filthy old soomka! Appy polly loggies. I had something of a pain in my gulliver so I had to sleep. I was not awakened when I gave orders for awakening.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, I was with you until I read the following:
That's one bizarre argument? It is precisely because they see enough "realism" in the news that they do not wish to be confronted with it at their entertainment - film is just that, for the vast majority of the public. It doesn't sound contradictory to me. No, I am not one of them, but I can understand the sentiment.

--
H

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Ernest I caught three mistakes on your list:

1.Terms of Endearment: R / is rated PG or at least that what my VHS copy says

2.The Last Emperor: R / is PG-13 or at least the version shown in theaters and that won the Oscar

3.Amadeus: R /PG version won the Oscar

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, as of two months ago I ceased watching Law & Order in a recent refocusing of my entertainment tastes. Now, I watch no TV-14 crime shows, for instance.

And, sure, alot of R-rated films are critically acclaimed, but I don't like them. I don't like The Matrix. I don't like The Godfather. I don't like American Beauty. I don't like Saving Private Ryan.

But, there are some G-rated and PG-rated films I don't like either. I find ET boring and I find Willy Wonka highly annoying.

I realize that alot of people watch R-rated movies and enjoy them. That's cool with me. But, I simply have different tastes and wish Hollywood did too. ;)

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
As Hollywood has increasingly trended towards massive box offices receipts rather than making interesting films (at least in my mind), I've found myself delving deeper into earlier works and foreign and indi films.

I love all sorts of movies, and I love watching exploitation cinema just as much as I love a good family flick like Finding Nemo.

Hollywood can do what it likes. There are tons of people like me, and we'll satisfy ourselves searching abroad or making movies by us and for us. And maybe some day Hollywood will decide it wants to bring us back into the multiplexes. But I'm not holding my breath.

So while the excutives are cutting and rewriting for more marketability, I'll be watching my old Shaw Bros, indi horror, euro sleaze, and picking out the finer works of the 60s through 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks