What's new

Why don't CD players have remote power on/off capability? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lewis,

Your PD-54 has a standby mode? In other words, you can turn it on and off with the remote that came with the player? If so, that's interesting because my PD-65 only has a hard power on.

All,

I understand the idea of leaving components on at all times, but I am not comfortable doing that when I am not home. However, I always let my components warm up for a couple of hours before using them. I certainly don't like the idea of turning them on and using them right away.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
It is done so that the when plugged into the outlet on the back of the receiver...
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that (plugging another component into a receiver's outlet) rob the receiver's amps of some of their power?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Your PD-54 has a standby mode? In other words, you can turn it on and off with the remote that came with the player? If so, that's interesting because my PD-65 only has a hard power on.

No not with the player's remote[I don't have it],but with the Pronto,and I've downloaded the code from remotecentral.com.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
three thoughts...

I cud plug my CD into the amp's switched outlet, but sometimes I only use it once a week, so why leave it glowing needlessly?

Some people feel "safer" with component devices plugged into their own outlet on the surge protector.

And lastly, no one responded to Ron yesterday if switched outlets "rob" amp power. The simple answer is NO. Switched outlets are there for low-power devices -- turntable, CD, tape deck, MD player and the like.

It is NOT ADVISABLE to plug a separate amp or high-current device into the receiver's switched outlet, since the electrical circuitry isn't designed for this load.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Ray-

I have had the CX450 for about 5-6 months. I really like the unit and find that I am listening to more of my collection than I used to. I have about 320 CDs in the changer. I arranged them alphabetically, skipping a few spaces about every other letter for easy expansion. I made a simple list of Artist/Title/Genre using MS Excel. I have my Home Theater Master MX-500 programmed for the changer, so I think a Pronto could learn even more of the specific codes.

-Chris

Jeff Thorstad

Auditioning
This is interesting. I'd never noticed that before about CDPs. FWIW, my Marantz CDRW has a hard power button on the front and a standby button on the remote.

And my Mits VCR remotes do not have an eject button. But I used a discrete code to find this and programmed it into my universal remotes. There're a lot of remote codes that exist even when the supplied remote doesn't have a button for them.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The colder they're kept, the longer they last. The more freqently they're cycled, the sooner they fail.
Let's say my gear is kept in a regular cabinet (not air-conditioned to 50 degrees) and therefore gets warm/hot after being left on for a long time. Is that more detrimental than powering it on and off once per day? In other words, it seems there are two opposite trains of thought going on here. Does the heat from leaving it on shorten the life more than the on/off cycling?

Personally, I turn things on/off once per day. I've never had an item's power supply fail, and I think I've saved a few bucks along the way in energy costs.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I'm just a newbie here, and I don't know all that much about A/V equipment's specific needs, but I can tell you based on some experience that for computer equipment in general (which based on what I have seen is not that different in construction from modern A/V equipment), the thermal-cycling argument has no clear answer. It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't served in a bowl of Murphy's Law.

Credentials: front-line tech support technician, 7 years. Saw a lot of computers live long, happy lives after the human equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigarettes and drinking a quart of bourbon a day, saw a lot that died in infancy of the most trivial afflictions you can possibly imagine.

JackS

Supporting Actor
I have 3 monoblocks connected to my receiver that stay on 24/7. Power draw for all three idling, is about the same as a 25watt light bulb. Every thing else, I switch off when not in use. BTW the same principle may apply to TV's. a few years ago and living with two other guys, we had a 27" Magnovox that seldom if ever was turned off due to various work shifts. The TV stayed on for about 5 years and was working like new when finally retired in favor of a new 32".

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The TV stayed on for about 5 years and was working like new when finally retired in favor of a new 32
You mean without any loss of the picture light output?

That's hard to belive considering that all crt based tubes have certain "fixed" lifespan.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

If your components are getting hot after being on, they aren't getting ventilation/airflow. Even in air-conditioning, those components will run hot if they don't get proper ventilation. If you are talking about hot to the point where it "hot" to the touch as opposed to "warm", then you need to find a way to get air moving across them better. Extremes in either direction will harm the components. Keeping them warm or cool is the best bet for longer life. And yes, heat (hot to the touch) will play a role in reducing your components shelf-life.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks