What's new

Why don't Americans have field marshals? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
That would be "National Pastime", you insular foreigner!! ;)

Besides, it is also played by guys with huge bodies and little heads who look like a bloated, expanded and deformed versions of the trim, well proportioned, athletic form displayed on their rookie year trading cards.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Continuous action my butt. At any given moment only 4-6 people on the field (out of 22) are actually doing anything resembling soccer. The rest are just standing around chatting with their opponents (or insulting them, but without a mic it's irrelevent) or taking a leisurely stroll.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
That's because a lot of our players want to be either play-by-play guys or head coaches when they retire from playing, and both jobs require that they be reasonably well-spoken.
Perhaps the fact that almost all NFL players went to college and graduated isn't quite the fiction that jokes about jocks being allowed to slide academically suggests? In contrast, professional football players in England barely graduate high school, let alone college/university. Indeed, if a player, or even an ex-player turned manager, holds a degree, that fact is inevitably parroted in references to him as an oddity: e.g. Martin O'Neill (law) and Arsene Wenger (economics).

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Giants in armor - without which the game would be immediately lethal
I assume you are unfamiliar with rugby (league or union), as someone has already intimated. As far as Brits are concerned, American footballers are sissies because they need padding and helmets to conduct a simple rugby tackle, and to add insult to injury, the 'action' lasts about 10 seconds before they have to have a little rest. ;););)

Having said all that, I've got to admit that I prefer American football to soccer or rugby union (though I still have a soft spot for rugby league).

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I love rugby and Australian Rules Football. You have to be a real man to take that sort of punishment and wear those little shorts.

Plus, all the interviews I've seen of these guys, they seem like the nicest people you want to meet. Someone you could have a beer with.

I wish we had a channel that show these. FOX used to but they've become exclusively soccer now.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
As I said, any sport that accepts falling down on the ground and writhing in pain because of a skinned knee as a "tactic" has no right calling any other athlete a "sissy". Your points about American football would be valid if the soccer fan was speaking from a point of strength. Sorry, but any time I hear this argument I picture a guy falling down like he's been shot, then wriggling around like he's having a seizure, only to get up and trot back in the game when 10 seconds before he was screaming for the ambulance. That isn't sport, it's theater. Stick to the rugby argument, at least it doesn't invoke hysterical laughter due to sheer irony.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Your points about American football would be valid if the soccer fan was speaking from a point of strength.
Jeff, baby, lighten up! I'm not a soccer fan. And I still think that it's rather pathetic that those helmets and padding are used. Take a look back to the early days of the game - they weren't used then. And rugby is a game of continuous flow - you don't get to stop and have a rest after each move. And as I said, I prefer American football to soccer or rugby union.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
American football players back then weren't as large, strong or as fast as they are today. The equipment was designed to prevent high speed contact injury as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks