What's new

Why does tin foil hurt your teeth when you bite it? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Just a random question to give you guys something to do. ;)

I did this once as a kid and YOW! It hurt! If you have never done it don't, you'll regret it, trust me. :eek::frowning:

I've always wondered why it does that and this is the perfect place to ask. Hey, there's a topic about a kid raping a dog so I think that at this point anything goes. ;)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Damn, that was actually interesting. But all this time i thought you were supposed to wear the foil on your head, not in your mouth!

troy evans

Screenwriter
When I was a kid I would take tin foil and mold it to my face. Made a great likeness mask of my features. Used to be fun to play as Destro when we played G.I. Joe as kids. My friends had water guns.......I threw rocks :laugh: Ah, the good ol' days.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i used to have several metal fillings and couldn't chew tin foil due to the pain (as if chewing tin foil is a hobby of mine). my current dentist replaced all my fillings with porcelain. it looks a lot better and now i can check on tin foil without a problem. yay!

kevin t

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I don't understand why anyone is chewing on tinfoil in the first place.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

It isn't a matter of chewing tin foil. John phrased it correctly when he asked about biting (I might have said, "Biting down on") tin foil. This is less of a problem in an age where cling wrap and vacuum sealers rule, and where the foil wrapping on gum is all paper-backed, but it used to be common for stray bits of tin (aluminum) foil to get stuck to food. Foil used to stick to sugared gum especially (geez, do they even make gum with sugar anymore? :).) If you missed even a tiny speck when you unwrapped a stick you could get a very unpleasant surprise the second or third time you bit down on it to soften it. I've also had foil get stuck into folds in frozen meat or chicken then get "cooked closed" into an invisible pocket, waiting to ambush the unwary diner. So it isn't usually a matter of deliberately chewiing on the stuff.

Not that chewing never happens. ;) Kids discover this by accident, generation after generation. And, kids being kids, they often con other kids into chewing on foil as a practical joke. Or they experiment with the pain, the way people pick at scabs or tongue the site where a tooth has been extracted. But mostly this sort of thing happens by accident.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks