What's new

Why do owners lose their minds when dealing with Scott Boras? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
It was bad enough that Scott Boras convinced the Texas Rangers to pay Alex Rodriguez $252 million, when the next highest bidder wasn't in the same galaxy. Now the Atlanta Braves have rewarded Andruw Jones for having a less productive year. They just gave him $75 million for six years. This for a player whose average dropped 50 points to .251 and whose strikeouts rose from 100 to 142. And to top it off, it comes after a year in which the Braves paid him $8 million -- the result of losing their arbitration. So in other words, the Braves were forced to pay him $8M after his best year, and are now voluntarily paying him $12.5M (times six years) after a subpar year.
I think Jones is a decent player, but he seemed to lose focus many times during the year. He is not worth $75M. How is Boras able to get so much for his clients?
------------------
Home Theater Pictures

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
It's not that the agents are so good, it's that the owners lack any kind of restraint in their spending and the players are greedy bastards.
And this is why I'm no longer the fan I once was of Major League Baseball. The owners are stupid to pay the sums of money they do and the players are greedy. Together, neither one of those parties cares about the long-term viability of baseball.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'd just like to chime in to mention Mark McGwire. He could've taken the $30mil and half-heartily played those years out but instead he chose not to and allow the Cardinals to use that towards players they needed more. Not all players are "greedy bastards".
wink.gif

------------------
Spoiler:One Thousand Words
My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I don't readily accept that players are "greedy bastards." It's all about negotiation and market prices. If you were in a field where you were able to command an extraordinary salary, would you accept less "for the good of the industry?" Of course not.
Owners lacking restraint is a cogent point though.
It may be that many owners (and ownership groups) treat the ownership of a professional sports team less like a business and more like the remedy for a (collective) midlife crisis.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Ok John, that's one player. My blanket statement doesn't logically apply to every player, but I still stand by that. Most of the players are primadonnas. When I hear about the conditions of their contracts that have to include things such as special luxury accomodations while on the road and players like Gary Sheffield, I come to the conclusion that they are greedy bastards. :)
Baseball is virtually a fixed sport and useless for me to watch. I won't follow MLB again with any enthusiasm until their is an economic structure in place like the one that the NFL has. A salary cap and revenue sharing is what MLB needs. I don't care if there is a long work stoppage, as long as it restores some sanity to the game. Put the game on hold for five years for all I care. I wouldn't care if replacement players are permanently used. At least I could enjoy the game of baseball again.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Mark McGwire among a few others that realize what a dollers worth.
That's the biggest problem with high salaries is that it ruins small market teams!!
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Andruw Jones said that he took "only" $12.5mill/year and didn't go for a shorter contract with $20 mill/year was because all those teams with the players that have the fat $20 mill+/year contracts don't go to the play-offs, and he'd rather take a "paycut" and have a chance to go to the play-offs on a regular basis. Strange logic, but there you have it, someone who plays for the competition of the "game".
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
It just goes to show why baseball needs a salary cap.
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Want a salary cap? go to cuba.
This is the USA. Where it ALWAYS comes down to supply and demand. Always has, always will.
Problem with high priced prima donnas? Go watch double A or triple A ball.
Problem with Jones getting that kind of money? Who are you going to replace him with (keeping the Braves on their current level)? On & on...

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Want a salary cap? go to cuba.
This is the USA. Where it ALWAYS comes down to supply and demand. Always has, always will.
Uhm, not to be impolite but do you live in a bubble. Baseball is the only major sport that doesn't have a salary cap. A salary cap would be greatly beneficial to baseball. Right now, teams can buy whatever players they want as long as they have the money. The Marlins did it when they won the World Series. The big money teams are always more competitive. Smaller market teams that can't afford the talent that they are developing. It would definately present a more level playing field.
Of course, I see that you are in New York and a salary cap wouldn't be in the best interest of the New York teams.
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Just out of curiosity...
If you were drafted by an organization as a teen, played in their farm system, made it to their big league team, went on to be among the best in the league at your position...
After ten years of this, and you're still playing for the same organization, would you accept excuses (well you see we got this cap thingie) at negotiation time?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
quote: Just out of curiosity...
If you were drafted by an organization as a teen, played in their farm system, made it to their big league team, went on to be among the best in the league at your position...
After ten years of this, and you're still playing for the same organization, would you accept excuses (well you see we got this cap thingie) at negotiation time?[/quote]
The problem many people have with a salary cap is that they're under the false illusion that each major league team is a separate competitive entity. To the contrary, Major League Baseball is essentially one corporation with thirty branch offices. The only way Major League Baseball will succeed is if there is legitimate competition on the field, not between the various branch offices.
When you have a situation in which some teams are financially able to spend $125 million on salaries and other teams lose money if they spend $20 million, the whole thing becomes a farce. Just because an idiot like Tom Hicks decides to make a ridiculous offer to A-Rod (and I'm not blaming A-Rod for accepting it) doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do.
The two economic reasons the NFL is flourishing are 1) they have a salary cap and revenue sharing, which returns an agreed-upon amount of gross revenue to the players and keeps the teams competitive, and 2) they very rarely give long-term guaranteed contracts to players. The NBA has one but not the other. MLB has no level playing field, gives out guaranteed long-term deals out like party favors, and has a salary arbitration system in place where other owners could be forced to pay A-Rod dollars to someone who puts up comparable stats, without regard to factors such as leverage, ability to draw fans, etc.
MLB is in a world of hurt right now, and they need to make some major changes.
------------------
Home Theater Pictures
[Edited last by Brian Perry on November 14, 2001 at 10:08 PM]

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Definetly seems like something is brewing...
I hope it gets worked out to the satisfaction of all involved.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'd just like to chime in to mention Mark McGwire. He could've taken the $30mil and half-heartily played those years out but instead he chose not to and allow the Cardinals to use that towards players they needed more. Not all players are "greedy bastards".
Makes one wonder where was Mark's altruism when he barely made it off the interstate with a steller .201 average in 91. I didn't see him giving any of his hugh paycheck back that year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks