What's new

Why do I need an amplifier, a little confused! (1 Viewer)

zak

Grip
Hello,

First post here, great looking forum...
I have been following links to other members personal home theaters and a few configurations have got me confused.
If you already have a powerful 7 channel Pioneer Elite receiver why would you need a 7 channel amplifier?

Thanks,

Zak

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Some folks feel you gain performance if you seperate the parts of a system into different pieces. Many hi-end receivers have pre-amp outputs for adding a bigger / better amp.

You are a serious HT buff if you have seperates...

zak

Grip
Thanks Colin!

So a Pioneer Elite 100+ watts per channel receiver should suffice without an amplifier?
I'm trying to build a home theater with high end equipment but at budget prices.
I plan on getting new Polk Audio speaker combo but was hoping to save money by using an older Pioneer Elite receiver and DVD player.
How old can I go?
I'm hoping to get 5 channel receiver with decent 100+ watts per channel ability. (THX would be good)
Any older model reccomendations?

Thanks,
Zak

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Plus those supposedly powerful multi-channel receivers usually overrate their performance and are not nearly as powerful when all channels are being driven, especially at intense levels.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Actually, you don't really need mega power - I have 40 watts x 5 and never run out of juice (More would sound better, more solid and open, I'm sure, but not now, thanks.)

But you are doing the right thing by using the better lines of equipment. (Sony ES had great stuff in the last 5 years, Elite, NAD, Marantz seperates, etc)

Get the best used stuff you can afford, age doesn't matter as long as you get a clean one with a "no DOA" guarantee. Look at Audiogon and Audioreview dot com for ideas.

Old DVD player = Sony DVP-7000 !

Good Luck!

JamesCB

Second Unit
Just a note, don't let the "THX" logo affect your buying decision. There are tons of components without the THX logo that are more than capable of meeting their requirements. More and more often you are paying extra money for just a pretty logo.

zak

Grip
Quote from JamesCB
"don't let the "THX" logo affect your buying decision"

It's so cool though! :D

A long time ago I bought a high end Yamaha receiver which was not THX approved.
My friends were coming over to see it so I cut out a stencil and tried using liquid paper to apply a fake THX logo. Didn't work so I ended up removing it.
Even thought the receiver was amazing my friends kept putting it down because it wasn't THX approved.
The next one I purchase must have it...

Zak

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Even though the receiver was amazing my friends kept putting it down because it wasn't THX approved. The next one I purchase must have it...
Hmmm....that's like your friends making fun of your B&W 803's because they aren't Bose and then going out and buying Bose speakers! :laugh:

BTW....Do you HAVE Bose speakers?!?! :confused:

Just messin' with ya, a little :D

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
all a company needs for THX is to shell out a good amount of money, and *BAM*

a decent piece has THX approval.

it should NOT be a factor.

the basic idea with adding extra amps is for more dynamics/stronger sound, but if you are driving Khorns or something with an effencey of 104dB1w/1m you're not going to need more than 10 watts :D

NicholasL

Second Unit
You're right about the wattage. Regarding companies paying good $ and getting THX just like that - that's not true at all.

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
if a company has a good product, they have to pay an amount of cash to get the certification.

i'm not saying a 200 dollar sony can get THX, i'm just saying it doesnt mean much at all

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
THX does mean quite a bit - I'm sure the true, complete spec would occupy more than a few pages of literature.

Really, the THX amp / rec. is only one small part of the "THX" home theater - to be truly a THX HT, the speakers, subs, amps, etc ALL need to be THX certified. Only then do you get the stamp of approval on the front door of your house.

Lucas comes by and personally stamps the door if you get it right.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
regarding external amplification - most people still don't get the idea of why you want lots of power. it's not so that you can crank the system and blow out people's eardrums. it's really so that you can have better sound at lower volumes. plus, if you have to turn it up, you won't get as much distortion. finally, you'll probably have more headroom if you need it.

regarding thx certification - it does mean something some of the time. i just read in my latest s&v magazine some review on a thx certified receiver. the technical review said (and i'm paraphrasing here) "just like every other thx certified receiver i've reviewed, this one lives up to the numbers...". again, that's not a direct quote...but something to that effect. with thx certification (at least in home audio) i believe it can make a difference. now...thx certified computer speakers? that one i definitely give a wtf?

NicholasL

Second Unit
Like Ted and Colin said, THX is shunned by many, but i think it deserves more credibility and is not all just "hype." but ted, have you listened to the klipsch promedia series speakers? those are amazing. listen to those and you're "wtf" will be turned into an "omg."

zak

Grip
have you listened to the klipsch promedia series speakers? those are amazing
I can second that, I have the same speakers for PC and can't believe the sound and crisp power.
The included sub is very powerful and must be toned down if you want a good relationship with the neighbors.

Zak

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yeah, pretty much every review i've ever read have rated those promedia speakers as top of the class. no arguments from me there. i would buy them for myself in a heart-beat.

but...thx certified? heh.... ;)

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor

Which speakers? If you are looking at the Lsi's then you will benefit greatly from adding a seperate amp that is capable of driving a 4 ohm speaker. I used my PE VSX-37TX receiver to drive my Lsi's for awhile, but it ran extremely hot. It is a great receiver but it was not rated to handle 4 ohm loads. I added an Outlaw 7100 amp and it made a tremendous difference. Of course adding adding an Anthem AVM-20 later on helped quite a bit also!;) The PE is now sitting in my basement collecting dust!

mike di

Auditioning
i didnt have THX on my first reciever system, but it still sounded damn pretty. Old,old,old,old marantz reciever with some speakers that are just as old but still working great(12"sub,5"mid,3"tweeter) Go accusound! but anyway, i dont think the THX makes a HUGE difference, but it does sound a bit better with ID4. Not good enough to dish out an extra 200 or so for :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks