What's new

why do bands still do an "encore" ??? (1 Viewer)

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I've attended shows with 2 encores, which really did seem related to the cheering of the fans. I've been to others where there was none, again, due to fan violence, etc. Still seems to hold meaning in the show's I've attended.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
While encores are generally a given, I like when artists do them without a plan of what they're going to play. Dave Matthews Band, for instance, has a setlist for their show, but nothing planned for the encore - they'll come back, but they don't plan what they're gonna do ahead of time.

Then you have someone like Elvis Costello, who writes out a setlist and then manages to go off it within the first few songs every night. I've grabbed a few printed setlists at Elvis Costello shows where what was written ended up being nothing like what was played.

And just last week, Bruce Springsteen did a six song first encore where the plan called for only three songs.

Someone mentioned Coldplay. I recently saw a Coldplay show where during the first encore, Chris Martin said that they were having a good time, and since it was the last night, if everyone wanted, they'd come back and do another one. Out of all the times I've seen them, it's the only time I've ever seen them come onstage for a second encore.

I've done a little roadie work here and there for bands of varying size, and most of them use the encore break just as a chance to go to the bathroom and run some water on their faces to cool down. If a five minute break makes them more comfortable for the last couple tunes, why not?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Punk bands of the seventies, did not do "encore".
Thought of it as Old Fart posturing.
The Who, copied the punks on the tour to support the release of Who Are You.
They did one encore, the entire tour.
Last show, in Oakland Ca. USA.
Bill 'Greed', the promoter, bribed them with four complete sets of original (who [pun intended] knows for sure if they were true originals. The presses, have yet to stop printing some of those 60's posters) Filmore concert posters.
The band came out, which shocked a lot of fans, since everyone had heard there were no encores on this tour.
And, Keith Moon proceeded to sing & destroy, Johnny B. Goode!
Fun for the whole family.:D

When it's spontaneous & for the love of music.
An encore is great for fans & bands, alike!:emoji_thumbsup:
When it's planned & manipulative...:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks