why do bands still do an "encore" ???

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ted Lee, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

this always cracks me up. i mean, you just know they're gonna come out at least once or twice more.

i guess in the olden days it meant something else?

2. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

The Wedding Present never did encores. Made getting out before the crush much easier. Encores seem silly to me, too.

Martin.

3. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

Tool is another band that refuses to do them.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

an encore is kinda stupid... but id feel ripped if they never did one... and i dont know why [​IMG]

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I was at a small gig once and after the 'last' number everyone clapped and cheered a bit, then went back to the bar. After about anothe thirty seconds, the band came back on stage to play the encore, which considering the fact that nobody was asking for one was 'interesting' to say the least.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

too funny.

someone told me, it used to be a thing where the crowd would "demand" that they come back out...that was the encore. it was also only given if the band was appreciative.

oh well, it still kills me when people leave after the first finish. i hope it's cuz they wanna beat traffic, not cuz they think the band is done.

which brings up a side note: why would anyone leave before the band was truly finished! [​IMG]

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Agreed. I've been to concerts where the band played for only an hour or so. The next hour was the encore. [​IMG]

It even happens at classical recitals. At a piano performance in Carnegie Hall a few weeks ago, the player did 5 encores. Ugh. Pointless showboating and applause whoring.

(Fortunately the performance before it was brilliant and beautiful, so it was worth it).

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Maybe they just want a drink of water or something? Or if they drink onstage, maybe they need a potty break.

More than two encores is pushing it, IMO.

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

At the last three concerts I went to (exempting local bands you probably never heard of), two Bob Dylan concerts and one Los Lobos concert, all played more than one encore, Dylan had four or five if I'm recalling correctly. But, it's all understood with these groups by both the performer and the audience that this is what's going to happen. So, technically, it's not a true encore, but part of the show. Still, I'd wonder what the matter was if it didn't occur.

10. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

Well, the last show I saw was Ministry, and they appear to be in the "we only do one if the fans want one" mentality. I've read of many stops on the last tour where they would only come back out for one more song and that would be it. When I saw them, the crowd was extremely loud and into the music, so we ended up getting two encores (four more songs total) on top of the regular set. The band (especially Al and Rey, one of the drummers) looked genuinely moved by the positive reaction they were getting from the crowd.

So, there is at least one band out there that still holds to the old-school style of encores and doesn't take them (or the fans) for granted.

11. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I think the best encores are when the band plays something that isn't in the set list they play at every stop on the tour.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I like encores. Gives me a chance to hit the head and get another beer before the show's over. [​IMG]

13. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

Anyone ever seen White/Rob Zombie play blood, milk, and Sky live.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

james

14. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

This has always been a sore spot for me. It seems that many bands now plan the encores as part of the set list. My favorite scenario is when the the band/singer leaves the stage saying "Good Night", yet they still haven't played their marquee song or latest hit. You know that they're coming back out no matter what.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of bands that refuse to do encores even when they're demanded. Many of these bands, hit the lights immediately so that there is no confusion, and I respect this immensely.

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

17. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

why do people still say "god bless you" after a sneeze?

old habit's, myths die hard

18. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I actually heard this once. The belief is, that when you sneeze, you're blowing out air (and "stuff" [​IMG] ) at a very high speed. So then you have to inhale after. The "God Bless You" is meant to prevent demon spirits (or something) from being sucked in on that inhale. Or something like that. [​IMG]

20. David R. Hendrickson

David R. Hendrickson Stunt Coordinator

misc. points:

'96: the Eagles took a 10 minute break in the middle of their 3 hour set. no encore.

AC/DC used to bring the lights up and them turn them off again before coming back out.

Judas Priest wasn't allowed to do their "molten metal" stage show (for the Ram It Down tour?), all they could use was spots and a disco ball. they only used it for "Beyond The Realms Of Death" (worked out pretty well actually!) which they only played in one or two other cities.

after the last Priest song they'd run off and a minute later you'd hear Rob fire up his Harley. encore: Hell Bent For Leather. [​IMG]