What's new

Why did Denise Crosby leave Star Trek: TNG? (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Consider that the likes of Marina Sirtis, Nana Visitor, etc., don't necessarily even have that anymore
Nana Visitor, at least, has found steady work as the chief villain on Dark Angel. I know that won't impress most people here, but it certainly isn't bad work for an actor. Keeps you in the public eye, and the pay probably isn't bad.
M.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Jodee, I'm shocked, shocked, that you of all people would succumb to such a sexist assumption.
She played a doctor. :)
M.
Doh! Michael, I think you're right, now that you mention it!
That part was so tiny, the details must have slipped. I just remeber her rushing into a hospital room and having a few lines.
And I thought, that's it?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nana Visitor, at least, has found steady work as the chief villain on Dark Angel.
Yeah, but it's worth noting that she was hired by Rene Echevarria, an ex-DS9 writer, probably at least partially because sci-fi fans would recognize her from her previous job.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>She was the starring role in the recently released "Mists of Avalon" on TNT. Also she voiced Neera on Dinosaur

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yeah, but it's worth noting that she was hired by Rene Echevarria, an ex-DS9 writer, probably at least partially because sci-fi fans would recognize her from her previous job.
And the point is what? That actors are often hired on the basis of previous work and/or by people they've worked with before? That's hardly news.
M.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But, it seems to happen more often with Trek/sci-fi actors - not just that other sci-fi shows tend to hire them, but that it seems to form the bulk of their post-Trek career. It often seems like these actors carry a stigma and only wind up in similar projects. I was just pointing out that Crosby doesn't seem to have that taint on her career, whereas Visitor (so far) does.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Happy "3000," Jason.
As for life after Trek, what about Jonathan Frakes? Other than doing stupid "alien autopsy," um, "specials" for Fox, Star Trek is about all he has. Only Patrick Stewart seems to have a post-Trek life worth writing home about--even more so than Brent Spiner.
For an actor, Trek is a blessing and a curse: It's steady work for seven years, after which it's the convention circuit or else.
(Wow. Kate Mulgrew gets to play a Janeway cameo in Star Trek: Nemesis. Woo-hoo. But what's poor Robert Beltran gonna do--'sides, teach, that is?)
------------------
2001-a.jpg

[Edited last by Jack Briggs on August 14, 2001 at 02:29 PM]

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Frakes seems to have quietly moved behind the camera - he's executive producer and an occasional director for "Roswell", and he's directed a feature called Clockstoppers that Paramount & Nickelodeon are sitting on; he's also been attached to project that go into development hell, like Total Recall 2.
Doing Star Trek does seem to be some sort of weird Faustian bargain - unless you're in the lead, this franchise will likely kill your career. Now, Robert Beltran may have all those Night Of The Comet residuals to fall back on, but can you imagine being Garrett Wang and knowing your career peaked with "Voyager"? Evidently Terry Farrell and Denise Crosby figured out you have to get out before the end. :)
And, FWIW, I'm going to consider Jeri Ryan the lead on "Voayager". I'm still concerned about her, though - she's landed a part on "Boston Public", and good-looking women have a history of looking downright unhealthy after a couple of years on a David E. Kelley program.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
don't forget Frakes did a guest shot on 3rd rock from the sun. He and his real wife, Jeannie Francis appeared as a couple. Come to think of it, other Star Trek people have appeared, George Takei and William Shatner (as the big giant head, how appropriate a role).

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
On that note...
I just did a search on imdb for Roxann Dawson, who played Lieutenant. B'Ellana Torres on Voyager. I found the following:
N.Y.P.D. Mounted (1991) (TV) .... Lt. Torres
So, a Star Trek actor has played a character with the same name and ***rank*** twice in her career.
WEIRD!!!
Moe.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nah, weird is George Clooney having major roles in two series with the same name - the drama "ER" and the sitcom "E/R".

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Nana is currently the lead in Chicago on Broadway, which is almost impossible not to be bombarded with on a daily basis in NYC.
------------------
Link Removed
"Sex? We're men! We wrestled!"
-Barton Fink

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks