Why did Denise Crosby leave Star Trek: TNG?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Was there a reason behind her death as to why she left the show?

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I remember hearing that she left to pursue her "movie" career.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I didn't know "Red Shoe Diaries" counted as a movie. [​IMG]

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It was a gamble that didn't necessarily pay off. She wasn't getting much to do, it was probably already pretty clear that screen time was going to be hard to come by if you weren't Patrick Stewart or Brent Spiner. She'd probably also seen a good chunk of her screen time siphoned off when Michael Dorn/Worf was added to the cast very late in the process. So, she asked, am I better off getting five minutes of screen time per week on this show, or seeing what else is out there?
    Did it work out? Probably not. But then again, I also have to figure she's worked more steadily in her post-Trek career than, say, Gates McFadden or Marina Sirtis. In her position, I might have done the same.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yup, to pursue other things. Good thing, the show was better after she left. Ever since she's been surviving from the con circuit. Rule #1 of Hollywood NEVER leave a show that's popular, EVER.
    David Duchovony is about to learn this lesson all to well
    Jeff Kleist

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I think that as a general rule it hasn't been all that great a move to leave a successful show. Clooney and Carrey are exceptions. I haven't seen Julianne Margulies (mis-spelled?) recently. ER offered her something like 28 million to stay and she said no. She must have been really, REALLY fed up to do that. I wonder if she has second thoughts?
    William H. Macy was already making movies before he left ER so I don't know if he counts.
    ------------------
    You want to upgrade again?!!

8. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Poor Denise Crosby. I knew her career was officially over when I saw in a tiny part playing a nurse or something on the X-Files recently. I saw her name in the opening credits and thought "oh, cool" then it turned out to be just a few lines that could have been said by anybody (or nobody).
    Sad. [​IMG]
    Speaking of which, does anyone else ever watch The Outer Limits and get amazed at the number of former TV stars they use in those episodes? People that you completely have forgotten about, but yet instantly recognize will show up in an episode. Last week it was Jamie Luner, from Melrose Place. I still remember the Laura Leighton episode.
    I always wonder what these semi-"stars" do after their show ends and they are between gigs. How long until they are forced to take a day job, I wonder?

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

A lot of them, I imagine, do stage work. Doesn't show up in the IMDB or get much press unless it's in NYC or London, but I've seen a fair number of familiar names show up in ads for productions here in Boston, and I imagine it's the same in L.A. and Chicago.

10. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

She'd probably also seen a good chunk of her screen time siphoned off when Michael Dorn/Worf was added to the cast very late in the process
    Do you mean Dorn was the last one casted for TNG? He was there from the beginning.
    IMO, I think she made a mistake. There is NO way the character of Yar would have been ignored. She wasn't a recurring character, she was a part of the cast. Even Quark in DS9 got a lot of screen time. With the exception of the movies, the cast members on all the shows were never ignored.
    Anyway, I think the first, and one of the only, movies she was in after TNG was Miracle Mile. If anyone here hasn't seen it, I suggest you check it out. She's doesn't have a huge part though. Unfortunately it's not on DVD.
    Jeff

11. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Thanks guys. You confirmed what I suspected.

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

13. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Denise appears on tonight's NYPD Blue rerun: "Thumb Enchanted Evening"
    Jim

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

15. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

She was also in one of those "big rock gonna hit the earth movies" like Armageddon or something.

16. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

She said she was tired of saying the same lines every week.
    Roddenbury asked her to be patient and she wasnt. She thought she was wasting her time.I once read Patrick Stewart didnt unpack his bags the first year, because they were all afraid the show would be cancelled, and of course, it took off during its 3rd season.
    Jasen,
    If I remember correctly, Worf was meant to be background material, but they were forced to rethink about the character after the first season when he became a fan favorite.
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
    [Edited last by JonZ on August 14, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Miracle Mile is the only film I've seen Ms. Crosby in--that is, if you don't count the documentary Trekkies.
    Talk about bad career moves. Isn't Star Trek just about the only thing that keeps her name in lights?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

18. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I haven't seen Julianna Margulies recently. ER offered her something like 28 million to stay and she said no. She must have been really, REALLY fed up to do that. I wonder if she has second thoughts?
    She was the starring role in the recently released "Mists of Avalon" on TNT. Also she voiced Neera on Dinosaur.
    Looks like she's got another movie in production still.

19. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor