What's new

Why couldn't this movie be made, instead of Final Fantasy or Dungeons & Dragons? (1 Viewer)

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, and the speed at which Blizzard works, we could look to see it in about 2010... :)
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
... but it'll be released this fall! *grin*
------------------
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That seemed more like a game trailer to me... "the fate of the world is in your hands." and War Craft III... was there a war craft 1 or 2 move before this?

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
"Warcraft 3" is indeed a computer game and that is what the trailer is for.
Blizzard is planning on making films based on at least one of their games however: Diablo. They recently sued the makers of a film with that title to keep them from using it...successfully.

Mike A

Agent
Sorry guys, I shouldn't have assumed that people would know what WarCraft is. Yes it is only a game trailer. I just meant this trailer for this game looks more interesting than the trailer for the FF movie. It was kind of late when I posted it so...
I didn't know about the Diablo movie, that would probably cool if they do it right.
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry but I can't see Diablo or WarCraft being made into movies. They don't have enough cinematic elements for the amount of gameplay, whereas Tomb Raider has dramatic music combined with CG cutscenes and other cinematic elements which would make it easier to be made into a movie. Also, for anyone who played FF8, they will agree that it was more like a movie than a game (but if you got deeper into it, then it was way more like a game).
Resident Evil is getting a movie, which I see as fitting for the style of the series, but the only other game I could see getting a movie would be Parasite Eve, which actually has one already in Japan.
And I liked Final Fantasy. I don't see what people thought was so bad about it. It was better than Planet of the Apes and many of the other movies that have come out in the last year or so.
[Edited last by Morgan Jolley on August 17, 2001 at 05:28 PM]

Mike A

Agent
I'm sorry but I can't see Diablo or WarCraft being made into movies.
Huh? The only thing Final Fantasy:TSW has in common with the Final Fantasy games is the name. Why can't they make movies from WarCraft or Diablo using the characters and making up a totally different story line.
I haven't seen FF:TSW yet, mainly because it's gotten such bad reveiws. I'll probably just catch it on DVD in October. So I have no opinions on the movie itself yet, just comparing the trailers. The FF:TSW trailers looked really lame, especially the voice acting and wasn't very exciting. This WarCraft trailer looks much better, it actually gets your heart pounding even if it's only a game.
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
FF:TSW had more connecting it than the title, but you have to have played the games a lot to understand it. Many of the themes from the series have returned, such as the meaning of life, accepting the cycle of life/death, and some other things. Even if it didn't have any connections to the games it was still it a pretty good movie. The CGI was amazing (some shots looked real), the movie itself moved at a nice pace, the story had some complexities that were made to keep the viewer thinking about the film days later, and the movie conveyed a message without being too literal. The reason people didn't like it was probably because of the scale of the ending and the fact that it is partially open. I can't wait for the DVD mainly for the Thriller thing.
I don't see how they could make Diablo or WarCraft into movies. The storyline is not exactly cinematic, and they wouldn't be able to go the route of "different story, same title" that FF, RE, and TR went. If you think the trailer for WC3 got you excited, check out the trailer for FFVIII or FFX (I liked them).

Mike A

Agent
I've played FFVII, that's about it. Not really into turn based rpg's.
What's makes WarCraft/Diablo different from the other games you mentioned? It's not like any of those video games have such detailed storylines that they instantly translate into a good movie. There are tons of games which are thin on the storyline department that could be made into a movie, Tomb Raider is a perfect example. I just don't understand why you would single out those two movies. At this point, I'm willing to agree to disagree.
I'm looking forward to seeing FF:TSW on DVD. I'll probably enjoy it more because I have lowered my expectations at this point.
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
If there is one thing that Blizzard excels at (other than addicting gameplay) it is their trailers and cutscenes. Of course their trailers have to be good since they make us wait so long for their games
wink.gif
Judging from the Diablo II cinematics on the DVD, I think that Diablo could be adapted into a movie fairly easily. I think Starcraft would probably make a better movie than than Warcraft, but that's just my opinion.
Kenneth

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
What about Starcraft? It's got one of the best storylines in gaming, period.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I think a Starcraft or Warcraft movie would rule. Blizzard does do an incredible job with their cutscenes, and they just keep getting better and better, Diablo 2 for instance.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
What you have to remember is that just because it's to your taste more than the other two movies, doesn't mean it would be a better movie. There were plenty of people that liked Final Fantasy and Dungeons and Dragons, as there would be people that like a Warcraft movie. Also, I'm sure there would be a HUGE number of people that would hate a Warcraft movie.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The reason I can't see WarCraft, StarCraft, or Diablo being turned into movies is because they have too much gameplay and not as much storytelling. They might have great stories, but Final Fantasy games have epic stories than span the entire planet and engulf all of civilization, where Diablo has some hack n slash action in a old tomb. Tomb Raider has many cutscenes, and the games always have exotic locations and people backstabbing Lara and big adventures to get old treasures and such. Tomb Raider created its own storyline separate from the games, and just used Lara Croft. They added every other character (besides her father, who never appears in any of the games) and made an original storyline that was in the spirit of the games. That is probably why people didn't like it. Final Fantasy took a bunch of themes from the games, threw in an original story, and created a movie from that. The fact that some people thought the idea of the film was too outlandish is probably what ruined that film for them. I personally liked both films because I like the games that they come from and enjoyed the films as big-screen adaptations of the games.
Also, just because a company can make great trailers doesn't mean they can make a great movie. They would try to make it appeal to everyone, not just the people who play the games, and that would probably mean a lot of sacrifices. A lot of people were mad that FF:TSW didn't have magic or summon spells, and that Tomb Raider didn't have puzzles and trap doors (at least not as many as the games). I still don't see how WC/SC/Diablo could be made into films.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
They already made the Starcraft movie. It was just the terran and zerg, and it was called "Starship Troopers"
biggrin.gif

But seriously, good movies can be made from any source. It just takes the same talent you would need to make a good original movie. And bad movies can be made from a great source.
I think Starcraft would make an excellent film because the three races are all very interesting, and very different. There isn't one "dominant" race (unless I'm playing, then the dominant race is Protoss
wink.gif
)
They could even do a three film series, with each film telling the same story, but from a different race's perspective. If you had a really strong story, with a lot of intrigue, strategy, and double crossing, it could be fascinating.
------------------
Cancer: (June 22--July 22)
Next time someone comes to your house to tell you that your husband has been shot, you should at least try to act surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks