Why Cats?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Lew Crippen, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Looking at all of the cat threads recently has made me wonder why it is that members of this forum seem to be cat lovers (as opposed to dog owners).

I’ve had both over the years, although right now it’s two cats in our home.

My only theory so far, is that our cats enjoy lying on the couch for two hours while I watch a movie (though they do object to the volume being too loud).

Any other ideas?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, I did read somewhere that cats are overtaking dogs as the more popular pet in the U.S.

I think they appeal to HT owners because, they are generally quiet, require very little attention, and are good for keeping your lap warm in that cold basement HT. [​IMG]

3. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

My shepherd/lab (of 90 lbs) loves to lay on my lap anytime that I'm on the couch. At least the upper part of his body anyway. (Which is enough) He also loves to sleep in the middle of the bed between my wife and I at night. We usually give him about half an hour before kicking him off. (Off the bed that is..) He can stay on the couch with us as long as he likes but he takes up too much room on the bed. [​IMG]

4. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan Stunt Coordinator

I have two cats and a Labrador Retriever. Both have their pluses and minuses. The dog is much higher maintenance than the cats, but I have yet to be able to teach either of the cats how to fetch the morning newspaper from the end of the driveway. [​IMG]

Thos.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'll never own a cat, why, because they make me sneeze. I am a dog owner, have been and always will be. Currently I have a dalmatian, great family dog. She is getting old though, almost 10. Getting about time to bring in a new puppy.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I have noticed that too.
    I think it has already been said above, they are sometimes (I said sometimes)easier to care for and (again, only sometimes)cheaper to feed and care for as well, I guess.

9. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I too have cat allergies, but my dog does watch movies with me, and football. She is great. See my website (in my sig) for a few pictures of her.

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Dog owners are too busy playing with their dogs and cleaning up afterwards to post. [​IMG]

11. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Chicks dig cats. [​IMG]

I know this because every woman I've dated since I've turned 30 has owned at least one cat.

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Well I have dogophobia, and catophilia, fascinating animals cats, they just lie there not giving a crap what movie you have on, no complaints, no need for walkies, a perfect pet for lazies like um me.

Sometimes my cat lies perfectly still on the rug and in a run-over-by-a-car position, with its eyes wide open, I swear it was stone dead, brrr creepy, and its been in that position three days now... kidding just kidding.[​IMG]

13. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I'm a huge cat lover. They are much more cuddly than dogs, and are often MUCH smaller. Cats seem to have more of a personality, and are very independent. They are so darn cute too!

14. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Because when a cat hurls up a furball it's easier to clean up from the carpet than a dog's vomit.[​IMG]

I own 1 cat, 1 Border Collie. They're both B/W and have a white streak running up between their eyes. You'd swear they were intended to be sold as a set.[​IMG]

15. Deborah*T

Deborah*T Agent

[​IMG]

I like dogs too but I don't feel I have time to care for one properly, exercise wise and attention wise. Would ideally like a couple of cats and a couple of dogs but Smudgey is enough for now.

[​IMG]

16. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I'm a dog lover (two Labrador Retrievers) and always will be. And don't give me any of those dust-mop sized tiny breeds...too cat-like. [​IMG]

17. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Cats: For people with ADD. [​IMG]

Dogs: For people who need an excuse to exercise (bend over, scoop, bend over, scoop). [​IMG]

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Because life is unimaginable without them.

19. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I wonder if cats are becoming more popular than dogs because people tend to be busier and have less time for tending to their pets. That could be a possibility. Also, its probably easier to find free cats than free dogs.

Personally, I'm a dog person, always have been, always will be. I like dogs for their loyalty and personality. I've met a few cats I like, but even more I hated. I hate how you can be petting a cat and all is nice, then it wants to play, so it rolls over and plants all four sets of claws in your arms. It takes forever for those cuts to heal. If I was to have a cat it'd have to be declawed. I know that's sacrilege on this forum, but I don't want an animal that's going to cut me up just for fun. Also, one scratch on my SVS, speakers, RPTV, leather couch or pool table would be too much.

Charles, Greta is a cutie. I've thought about getting a Basset but have been told not too because stairs are bad for their backs. Do you have any issues/concerns with stairs?

20. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    Every "tech" minded person I know seems to be a cat lover. It is a gross generalization, but perhaps there is some correlation to the love of technology and the love of the mind and personality of a cat.