Why can't anyone do a good job anymore? (RANT)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by CapnSharpe, Jul 16, 2006.

1. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

I own a 2 story house and decided to hire a handman to re-caulk those high unreachable windows. Easy, right? WRONG. While I was at work this handyman or men (I'm not sure who was sent out or how many) decide to put a bead of clear silicone caulk over the old caulk around every first floor window, door, and both garage doors. They skipped the second floor windows and left me a bill in the front door.

I called and complained and they were sent out the handmen a second time to re-caulk around first and second story windows properly. It looks like they tore out the new and old acryllic caulk and put down beads of clear silicone - and promptly crushed the beads to the point that the caulk went EVERYWHERE. Weep holes, other joints, the siding, and sometimes in the joints between the windows and vinyl siding. More often than not nothing was left in or on the joint. Pointless and a big ugly mess. And they skipped at least 2 second story windows again and put their ladder on the sump pump drain, partly crushing it.

After leaving a LOUD, angry, 10 to 20 minute message on their voice mail, he called back and asked me what I wanted. Now I'm taking a day off from work to hover over these morons and teach them how to put on a proper bead of caulk since they can't seem to manage it.

But there's more!!!!!!!!

Last night a severe thunderstorm came through. Apparently the handymen decided to remove a non-removable awning and then put it back. Water came pouring out under the awning and from underneath the siding. God only knows what kind of water intrusion and damage I've got now and what kind of money it will cost me to get that awning and water damage fixed.

All this to caulk some windows.

Rant over.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Wow, it really sucks that you've had so much trouble with these guys. I don't really have anything to say, but just noticed when you mentioned the severe thunderstorms that you and I are practically neighbors. My wife and I live in Huntersville. So . . . howdy neighbor, and I hope things work out for the best.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Answer: Because people are lazy and stupid, and have absolutely no pride in their work.

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Question: Why do contractors suck?

[​IMG]

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    And people wonder why I want to build a house by myself.

6. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    At the factory where I work, they have 12 hour shifts. They work 2 days and then have 2 days off, so in 2 weeks they work only 7 days. If you add in vacations and holidays, they have to work less than 6 months in a year. We have a 40-50% turn over rate with the number one cause for termination being absenteeism. I admit their work is somewhat demanding, but with only 2 work days between time off, why would you need to miss a day unless you were very sick? [​IMG]
    Dave

7. MarkHastings

Dave, that sounds like "Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" - The more people get used to time off, the MORE they want off. And the less someone has to work, the less work they'll actually do.

8. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Mark, you may be right. On top of the holidays, they also got 3 sick days a year and were terminated after 8 days. Most of the workforce had their absences at 7, 1 day short of termination. So we raised it to 10, they still are one day short of termination. I guess unemployment is low enough that they don't worry much about getting another job. that relates back to the title of this post. Work ethic.
    Dave

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

This opinion is most often shared by people with desk jobs- specifically those who aren't DIY types. Do you fit this mold? Every time someone at work pipes up with something like this, I challenge them to a day with me. I usually never hear so much as a peep from them again.[​IMG]

Finding people who are concerned about the quality of their work is a big concern. I have that problem at work, as does my customer. We can't seem to put together a maintenance team that just flat works well. I shouldn't be surprised, though- finding people who do a significant amount of physical labor outside of work is getting hard. I suppose it's a reflection of where we're headed as a nation. Almost makes sense why manufacturing is disappearing so quickly.

Not that this has anything to do with Theresa's issue. Stick with them, and make them get it right. Don't forget to thank them (sincerely) when they do.

10. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

You know what's funny?? OK, I work a very menial job, nights at a grocery store, YEP I'm unionized, so I could walk around in circles if I choose to, but I work my ass off for the same pay as everybody else. WHY, so when I go home I can say that I earned my income.

Why can't people have a good work ethic?? it drives me nuts!

Brent

11. MarkHastings

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear that all the time. Why do physical laborers think that they work harder than non-physical laborers? My brother (who works for Fed-Ex) tries to pull this crap with me all the time and while I may not be able to do his job full time, I GUARANTEE you he'd NEVER EVER be able to do my job no matter HOW hard he tried [​IMG] At least I'd be able to do his job for a little while - he'd never make it past the first hour at my job.

He bitches that his body aches at the end of the day...I use both sides of my brain at work and I usually end up with a major migraine by the end of the day.

Is that easier than physical labor? I don't think it's fair to make that judgement call. Using your brain power is just as much work as exercising your physical power.

12. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave

I know what you mean, but I worked my way off the floor into my desk job. For the first 2 years the factory was open I worked 5, 10-12 hour days.
    Dave

13. MarkHastings

I once worked 80-100 hour weeks for over 6 months straight. And that doesn't include the 100 miles of commuting per day.

But I didn't do physical labor, so I guess that means nothing. [​IMG]

14. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Out of the 25 years I have been working, 18 have been labor, 5 were half & half, and 2 have been desk jobs. I have always looked at it like this:

I have 5 fingers on my hand. They each have different functions. Some work harder than others and some look better than others. But I wouldn't want to be with out any of them. If one were missing it would make the other fingers work harder.

In the shop floor labor, I made a product that made the company money. In management I have cost costs to help the company from loosing money. Either way I have earned my keep. [​IMG]

15. MarkHastings

I used to do physical labor (working in factories, working on farms, etc.) before I had a back operation. Now I do computer work.

I will say, while I did physical labor, it was nice that I didn't have to use my brain (by just using my muscles), and now that I use my brain, it's nice that I don't have to use my muscles.

I can't say that one was harder than the other - each were difficult in their own way. That's why I think it's unfair to compare the two in any way.

16. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave

I agree 100%

17. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

How's this one: I work for a computer software company on a specific product line in Support. Every time we hire someone for my product they move him to a different product as soon as we get him trained. Worse is that we only have JUST enough people to cover the shifts. Now they want to take another person away, which will leave a few holes in the schedule. When we pointed this out to the dept manager you know what she said? "You need to lower your standards."

-paul

18. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan Stunt Coordinator

How about the Big Dig tunnel in Boston? My God....how can something be 4 years late, $5 BILLION over budget and be flooding, falling apart, and most recently (sadly), deadly to drivers. Unbelieveable....

Thos.

19. MarkHastings

and yet, there was an old restaurant that my town demolished and put up a BRAND NEW bank - it only took less than a month.

20. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

I feel the OP's pain.

This sort of thing must be hurting the economy. I actually try to avoid using many goods and services because it'll be more trouble than it's worth and I can't be the only one.