What's new

Why are some of you in here? (1 Viewer)

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
I find myself coming here more often because....
AVS has gone to sh!t.
The Hi-Def forum there is nothing more than a gamerfanboy OK Corral.
It's too depressing.
I think Ron and the mods deserve a lot of praise for their no-nonsense stance they've taken regarding BS postings.
I also greatly respect Ron's stance on the so-called format war, unlike another site owner.
Before you correctly color me red, let me say that I chose that format because at the time it was the best option for me.
I truly see advantages and cons to both sides.
However this whole thing shakes out, I hope that Hi-Def media of whatever flavor gains adoption by enough consumers so that a wide variety of films are available and the prices become more affordable and quality remains high.
However that happens I really don't care.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Like others, I am an HD fan and do not care about the formats....they DO THE SAME THING and that is provide me with high def goodness. The fanboys (aka almsot all of avs HD sections) annoy the hell out of me. How someone can get orgasmic over one forum and trash the other is beyond me. Again, they do the exact same thing and perform the same way. If one thinks blu ray sucks then they think hd dvd sucks.

I do not take a gloom and doom approach but I think it is clear these will stay niche for a while whihc is fine with me as long as studios keep supporting them like they did for laserdisc all those years.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Great thread with some really great replies!

I'm here for basically for two reasons. The contributors and the moderators. This is the only forum I've run across where the mods truly know how to do their jobs and do it well. If it wasn't for their efforts and the efforts of other members who love this forum this place would be just as crazy and wild west as just about every other online forum.

I think the majority of us try our best to keep everyone honest about the issues even though we may have differing opinions and view points. And in the end the conversations are very civilized and polite in comparison. I think the fact that most of us have becoming so accustomed to the civility that it makes any amount of disagreement seem like a huge upheaval when in fact our worst threads would easily be considered polite elsewhere.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wish people would stop insulting other people for their preferences. It doesn't make someone a "technogeek" just because someone wants their video and audio to have the highest bitrate possible. It also doesn't make them any less of a movie fan. It just makes them movie fans who want the highest bitrate possible because in their perception high bitrate may equate to higher quality. If someone thinks that a system with less "headroom" gives identical results then that is fine, but people should stop demeaning others who prefer a system with more "headroom".

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Not if they are spending their time watching the meter and not the movie, as I eluded to in my original post.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I'm here because it is a reasonably civil forum for discussion. Also, since the purveyors of these formats seem content to withhold support from the average user, one must seek out information on how and when to seek firmware updates for faulty programming and when and how to seek replacements for faulty disks.

Although I have been in contact with both Toshiba and Samsung, I have not received any firmware update disk from Samsung, nor the latest update from Toshiba (although I received v2.0).

So am I full of gloom and doom? Just a bit. I still could not recommend either format to anybody who wasn't prepared for a lot of hassle.

I enjoy those HD disks that do play (some Blu-rays don't), though skipping and loss of sound sync still frequently annoy me (HD-DVD - I'm talking about you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks