What's new

Why are so many series stalled or stopped? (1 Viewer)

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
That's not expensive. Truth to tell, with Transformers and G.I. Joe, that $20 cost per release doesn't phase me that much. I figure $20 for 22 episodes is a fine price. Maybe other studios should take this as an example. More people will buy more DVD sets if you price them accordingly.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by kemcha

That's not expensive. Truth to tell, with Transformers and G.I. Joe, that $20 cost per release doesn't phase me that much. I figure $20 for 22 episodes is a fine price. Maybe other studios should take this as an example. More people will buy more DVD sets if you price them accordingly.
I know, this coming from a guy who paid for the complete series sets through Shout! for both to be complaining about prices. But ya know what? Don't regret it for a second. I suppose it's all really about budgeting well.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
One thing that irratates me is when instead of putting out a Season Set, a Studio or Company will only put out a "Best of" Set. A Good example is Lassie. Only a handful of episodes are available out of over 500 Available. Most people divide up the series into several "Segments", those being:

The Tommy Rettig Years (A.K.A "Jeff's Collie")

The John Provost Years (Aka "Timmy and Lassie")

The Ranger Years

Lassie Alone

The Ranch Years

I grew up watching the Ranger Years first. The two previous Series (Yes, I thought they were separate Series!) were soon available as reruns. Why did I think the First two segments were separate series? Because that Stations where I lived at the time (Detroit, Michigan) NEVER showed the seasons where Lassie's ownership changes! (Season 4 for Jeff to Timmy, Season 11 for Timmy to the Rangers) Only recently have I been able to see those "Lost" Episodes. It would be nice to see the entire series released on DVD, but the odds against that happening these days has to be ASTRONOMICAL! A "Best of" Compilation can be good for someone who wants to see if the shows are worth watching but AFAIC If I like what I see I want THE WHOLE SERIES, even if I have to pay through the nose for it!

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

You got me there, I only saw them priced at 35 bucks at retail big box stores and never caved for them. Now would give my right arm for another chance.

And at the 19.99 prices for Thundercats earlier this year. Why do classic cartoons have to be so dad blamed expensive?
the big boxes will always price 'em high.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Regulus

One thing that irratates me is when instead of putting out a Season Set, a Studio or Company will only put out a "Best of" Set. A Good example is Lassie. Only a handful of episodes are available out of over 500 Available. Most people divide up the series into several "Segments", those being:

The Tommy Rettig Years (A.K.A "Jeff's Collie")

The John Provost Years (Aka "Timmy and Lassie")

The Ranger Years

Lassie Alone

The Ranch Years

I grew up watching the Ranger Years first. The two previous Series (Yes, I thought they were separate Series!) were soon available as reruns. Why did I think the First two segments were separate series? Because that Stations where I lived at the time (Detroit, Michigan) NEVER showed the seasons where Lassie's ownership changes! (Season 4 for Jeff to Timmy, Season 11 for Timmy to the Rangers) Only recently have I been able to see those "Lost" Episodes. It would be nice to see the entire series released on DVD, but the odds against that happening these days has to be ASTRONOMICAL! A "Best of" Compilation can be good for someone who wants to see if the shows are worth watching but AFAIC If I like what I see I want THE WHOLE SERIES, even if I have to pay through the nose for it!
Doesn't help that the Jeff's Collie DVD is a double dip of what was on the Anniversary DVD for Lassie.

I agree, season sets for Lassie are something I'd love too. I mean, for crying out loud, Gunsmoke and Law and Order have been or are on the air for 20 years and they're getting season sets, but the dog is getting shut out.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by David Levine

The blind bought the first season and didn't like it.
That applies with me and "TNG." I had heard that it was (and correct me if I'm wrong) the most popular of all the "Trek"'s, and so I got the first season's worth to try it out. I'm sorry to say this, but to me, it doesn't stand up as well as "Voyager."

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Matt, your complaints about Law and Order (the original series) is a very long and common complaint among fans of the television series. Matter of fact, Law and Order Season 1 was the first first "Law and Order" show to see a DVD release. However, when Universal Studios decided to release Season 14, which was the final season that "Jerry Orbach" had been on the show. The season was released as a sort of tribute to Jerry Orbach considering that he had passed away a few months prior to the announcement of the release of Season 14.

Since then, the releases for season sets of the original series had been completely abandoned by the studio until the studio caught up on the releases of "Criminal Intent" and "Special Victims Unit." It was only recently, the past year, that fans of the series saw Universal Studios start rolling out more seasonal sets of the series. The last few months, we have seen Season 6 released and now we're getting ready for Season 7 to be released. My guess is that more regular announcements will be released for the series. I would say that Season 8 and Season 9 will be released in 2010.

As far as the other shows you listed, studios decide on which shows are more favored by fans and make those judgments accordingly. If general consensus is that the show won't be successful, the studio won't release it, no matter how many fans are wanting it released.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

Doesn't help that the Jeff's Collie DVD is a double dip of what was on the Anniversary DVD for Lassie.
Yes, buying the entire Series would involve some double dipping, but in this case what was offered was only THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG. The 50th Anniversary collection only contains 24 Episodes from the first three Segments, which is less than 1/20 of the entire series! Someone who has never seen any of the episodes would probably want to commit the $20 or so in buying this collection before committing over $650.00 to purchase the entire series (Which is what it would cost if each season sold for the usual $34.99 a Season). Unfortunately this fragment is all that's available at this time.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Matt, your complaints about Law and Order (the original series) is a very long and common complaint among fans of the television series. Matter of fact, Law and Order Season 1 was the first first "Law and Order" show to see a DVD release. However, when Universal Studios decided to release Season 14, which was the final season that "Jerry Orbach" had been on the show. The season was released as a sort of tribute to Jerry Orbach considering that he had passed away a few months prior to the announcement of the release of Season 14.

Since then, the releases for season sets of the original series had been completely abandoned by the studio until the studio caught up on the releases of "Criminal Intent" and "Special Victims Unit." It was only recently, the past year, that fans of the series saw Universal Studios start rolling out more seasonal sets of the series. The last few months, we have seen Season 6 released and now we're getting ready for Season 7 to be released. My guess is that more regular announcements will be released for the series. I would say that Season 8 and Season 9 will be released in 2010.

As far as the other shows you listed, studios decide on which shows are more favored by fans and make those judgments accordingly. If general consensus is that the show won't be successful, the studio won't release it, no matter how many fans are wanting it released.
Actually, I was comparing that at least the 20 year old Law and Order has gotten at least seven seasons of its run with an eighth on the way, plus Gunsmoke which I believe is up to three seasons on DVD to Lassie, which ran just as long, to having only best-ofs, thus so far.

Trust me, I'm thrilled Universal seems to be getting behind Law and Order again, especially given I was able to get Seasons 2-5 for Christmas at about 20 bucks each, but my goodness, I don't understand the lack of love for Lassie, given it can appeal to both kids and nostalgia geeks.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Regulus

Yes, buying the entire Series would involve some double dipping, but in this case what was offered was only THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG. The 50th Anniversary collection only contains 24 Episodes from the first three Segments, which is less than 1/20 of the entire series! Someone who has never seen any of the episodes would probably want to commit the $20 or so in buying this collection before committing over $650.00 to purchase the entire series (Which is what it would cost if each season sold for the usual $34.99 a Season). Unfortunately this fragment is all that's available at this time.
Yeah, I'm actually buying Lassie in the next few weeks (the Anniversary set) as my vote to try and get it going again, I know, my money isn't going to count for anything, but at least I've stood up and said something toward getting more out.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by bmasters9

That applies with me and "TNG." I had heard that it was (and correct me if I'm wrong) the most popular of all the "Trek"'s, and so I got the first season's worth to try it out. I'm sorry to say this, but to me, it doesn't stand up as well as "Voyager."
Sorry, i need to go off topic for just a minute. TNG season 1 mostly sucked. Rent season 3 and 4, the show was at the top of its game then. You cant go wrong.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Actually, I can't stand to watch TNG now. The writing is just so cheesy. While I do watch TOS, Voyager and Enterprise, I just can't stand watching TNG ... DS9 is somewhat enjoyable to watch to a point but Voyager and Enterprise are my two faves.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
TNG was the reboot of the TV series, so I think many remember the impact it had back then in revitalizing the franchise (outside the movies). But after having watched it when originally broadcast and through syndication it no longer does much for me. The early years of TNG suffered IMO due to Wesley, once he was gone it got better. Personally, other then TOS I think the only one I would own is DS9. While DS9 also has some fluff episodes the overall story arc is pretty good and would be fun to revisit even if just to watch those. I would have had some interest in Enterprise if it had continued longer.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Smith, you're wrong. The Next Generation came about because of the box office success of the Star Trek movies, not as a reboot for the television series. Roddenberry was directly involved with the creation and production of TNG before his untimely death, to which he was honored with a particular episode, which was noted prior to one particular episode.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

My rule of thumb for what I'm willing to pay is about $1 per episode. I'll pay a bit more for those with higher production values (like an HBO series) or more special effects (like a sci-fi or fantasy series), but for standard network fare, $1 per ep is my target price.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Smith, you're wrong. The Next Generation came about because of the box office success of the Star Trek movies, not as a reboot for the television series. Roddenberry was directly involved with the creation and production of TNG before his untimely death, to which he was honored with a particular episode, which was noted prior to one particular episode.

I'm not wrong, you are either misinterpreting my post or disagreeing with it (which is fine). But that doesn't make either wrong since in either case we are each just presenting our own views of the situation.

Yes, the box office success of the movies brought about the capital and interest in taking another chance on a TV show (I never stated otherwise). My use of reboot is to basically say to "start anew" (not the story itself but the use of TV as a medium). TOS came about in 1966 with a lapse of 21 years before a new Star Trek show was released on TV (TNG). Quickly followed by DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. So in my opinion TNG was a reboot in the use of TV as a medium for presenting Star Trek to the general public.

Kemcha, from what I have seen recently you are quick to judge/dismiss other opinions in what are very subjective discussions. Which is one reason I stayed out of the thread prior to this based on your posts about stalled series (that I happen to disagree with). Now I wish I hadn't ventured into it at all. I think I will just ignore your posts from now on. Take care.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
No I'm not. I'm just more personally informed about the creation of most television shows. TNG was just not intended as a reboot for the original series. What you're referring to was the idea that there were plans to create a new Star Trek series which was generically nicknamed by producers at Paramount as Star Trek II or "The New Adventures." The plan was to create a new Star Trek series that would star the original cast from TOS and take place after the events in ST: TMP.

Unfortunately, that particular project didn't take off. Years later, Roddenberry, citing disappointment at the pre-production for a new Star Trek series that would take place further into the future, would end up creating a new television series, with a new cast and it would take place 80 years after TOS.

This is where TNG would come in ...

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

My rule of thumb for what I'm willing to pay is about $1 per episode. I'll pay a bit more for those with higher production values (like an HBO series) or more special effects (like a sci-fi or fantasy series), but for standard network fare, $1 per ep is my target price.
Good rule. I'll have to apply that myself.

Although I'll probably still be buying DVDs at the same rate I always am.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

No I'm not. I'm just more personally informed about the creation of most television shows. TNG was just not intended as a reboot for the original series. What you're referring to was the idea that there were plans to create a new Star Trek series which was generically nicknamed by producers at Paramount as Star Trek II or "The New Adventures." The plan was to create a new Star Trek series that would star the original cast from TOS and take place after the events in ST: TMP.

Unfortunately, that particular project didn't take off. Years later, Roddenberry, citing disappointment at the pre-production for a new Star Trek series that would take place further into the future, would end up creating a new television series, with a new cast and it would take place 80 years after TOS.

This is where TNG would come in ...
Actually, you just sort of reiterated and expanded upon what had already been said. The fact is, TNG came about because of the success of the movies AND the fact that syndicators had been banging on Paramount's door for new weekly Trek outings for years. TOS had been getting huge ratings in syndication since the beginning and syndicators were howling that there were only 80 episodes. "Star Trek Phase II" was initially conceived simply to add to the episode package of TOS. However, the concept grew and grew until it was not going to be just another made-for-syndication cheapie; the idea evolved until Phase II was going to helm a 4th network, run by Paramount. But it turned out to be impossible in the mid-70s to launch a new network due to FCC constraints, station availability and lack of cable outlets in most homes. The new network didn't happen until 1995 when UPN launched with Voyager, nearly 20 years after that old idea of having a Star Trek show at the helm of a new network was conceived. For those interested in more behind-the-scenes Trek doin's, I suggest they read "Season Finale: The Unexpected Rise and Fall of the WB and UPN" by Susanne Daniels.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

I have always gone by this standard unless if it less than one dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks