What's new

Why are people from some countries such horrible tippers? (1 Viewer)

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
When at a buffet where there is a person there who seems to try to offer some service, such as promptly clearing away unused dishes, smiling pleasently, and other courtesies, I usually leave 10%, otherwise nothing.
Deane

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I think tipping is something everyone should regard as a reward for a job well done. I think many people actually expect to be tipped, which to me is just plain rude.
Here in Canada, I usually tip around 10%-15%, depending on the service of course. Sometimes it is less, sometimes it is more. It is only usually done in a few places though (ie. restaurants, taxis, etc.)
When I travel to the US, I must continually remind myself that this is a "tipping culture" and that people expect to be tipped for just about anything they do. For example: taking a shuttle to the hotel: tip the driver. Checking into your room: tip the bell hop. etc. etc... I find myself tipping everyone for basically doing their job and not really giving me any extra service. Isn't this what their base pay is for?
Maybe minimum wage in Canada is better than in the US, but still, I have a problem with tipping a shuttle bus driver for asking me which bag is mine and then putting it on the ground for me. Gee thanks, couldn't do that myself.
rolleyes.gif

Anyways, my point is that if someone provides the customer with good service, they deserve to be tipped. Simply performing the duties of your job does not warrant a tip. This is my opinion, and pretty much the opinion of most of my Canadian friends as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks