What's new

Why are Americans so stubborn about $1 coins? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Philip, I see. We haven't had toll booths in CT for years. Now that I think about it, I've been driving for 16 years and I don't think I've ever driven through a toll booth in CT.

Has it really been that long since we had the toll booths removed? :eek:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Another note here...

Mark, you've mentioned how rare the 2-dollar bill is.

We used to have a 2-dollar bill as well. You never saw the things, until the loonie was introduced. Suddenly, there was 2-dollar bills EVERYWHERE. And it stayed that way until the toonie was brought in. I suspect the same thing would happen in the US if and when they stop making the 1-dollar bill.

And I have never had to sew the pockets of my pants. Guess canuck-coins are just lighter. ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I used to get $2 bills for my birthday (from my friends grandmother) when I was young. I don't know where she got them from, but that was the only time I had ever really gotten them. I haven't even seen one in decades. If I ever got one, I'd probably think it was fake.

Do they still make US $2 bills???

I used to live in the UK, now in the USA, so I guess I've seen both sides.

We lost the 1/2 penny years ago - shame as as a kid we used to buy 2 candies for a penny :P

Still ... I dont really miss it.
We also lost the pound note years ago, gained the pound coin AND the 20p coin.

The made both the 5p and 10p smaller - which rather than being a good idea cos they were lighter made it WORSE because you can never find the damn things.
For anyone interested, heres a piccy :

As you can see they are all different sizes, shapes and colours - very little chance of any confusion!

As for the UK notes, they grow in size and change colour as the value increases :

5 pound = blue
10 pound = brown
20 pound = purple
50 pound = red

It makes it a hell of alot easier to see whats in your wallet!!

I would love for a 1 dollar and 2 dollar (maybe even a 5 dollar) coin to be introduced, but as most folks have said the average population 'fears change' and have to be nudged into making the change by stopping making the notes.

American money is a bit outdated if you ask me.

But then, when in rome ......

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Yep, or at least there are still a bunch in circulation as we get them in the store once in a while. Next time you're in the bank, ask 'em for a few and amaze your friends!

It's amazing how all the denominations and configurations that are rarely used are somehow deemed collectible if anyone ever comes across one. Most all these rare denominations are being stored in jars and cigar boxes in people's houses because everyone seems to think they don't make them anymore and that their value will somehow increase in the future.

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
Economics or not, Americans are all about convenience and paper money fits the bill.
Pun aside, I don't see how small denomination paper bills are more convenient than coins. In small quantities, which is what you'd expect for $1 and $5 coins, coins are much easier to count. New coins don't stick together like they were glued. I would expect most cash transactions to complete in less time due to these two characteristics.

I say dump the small paper bills and start minting coins. Next on my list is making it illegal to write a check for anything less than $50 if there is anyone behind you in line.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
In small quantities, which is what you'd expect for $1 and $5 coins, coins are much easier to count.
To each his own, but whenever I'm paying with exact change, the bills are the easy part. But, then again, I'm also anal about making sure my wallet has all the bills sorted in order of denomination and oriented the right way. My pocket is never that organized.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I just thought that some people fear dollar coins because it would sort of lesson the value of money, like dollars and pennies together - it would all be small change.

Well, get over it! :)

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks