WHV Press Release: Troy: Director's Cut (DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    "««««! Stunning, raging excitement and visual grandeur."
    – Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune

WOLFGANG PETERSEN’S NEW GRAPHIC, UNRATED VERSION
    OF HIS EPIC MASTERPIECE AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME

TROY DIRECTOR’S CUT DEBUTS
    ON A TWO-DISC DVD, UCE, HD AND BLU-RAY FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO SEPTEMBER 18

Burbank, CA, July 10, 2007 – On September 18, Warner Home Video will debut Wolfgang Petersen’s all-new, unrated version -- not seen in theatres -- of his epic film Troy. With 30 minutes of new footage, Troy Director’s Cut, including special features from its first DVD release, will be available in collectible O-sleeve packaging and will sell for $20.97 SRP. HD DVD and Blu-ray disc versions will debut simultaneously at $34.99 SRP.

Also offered will be the Troy Ultimate Collector’s Edition ($39.92 SRP), which will include collectible memorabilia such as “The Art of Troy” photo book, behind-the-scenes photos and select pages from the shooting script of the Academy Award® -nominated director (The Perfect Storm, Outbreak, In the Line of Fire, Das Boot). Orders are due for all August 14.

“The raw power of Homer, the sex, the brutality and the uncompromising battles really come to life in this version," says Petersen. “We went back to the way I first envisioned the film, when the full energy and impact of each scene had time to play out. Now, with great new visuals and sound design, audiences are going to have a deeper emotional experience of this literary classic. Thanks to Warner Home Video for giving me the opportunity to restore the creative integrity of my original vision.”

Oscar® nominee Brad Pitt (Ocean’s Thirteen, Twelve Monkeys) brings a dynamic, brooding presence to the role of Greek warrior Achilles in this spectacular retelling of The Iliad. Orlando Bloom (Pirates of the Caribbean) and Diane Kruger (National Treasure) play the legendary lovers who plunge the world into war, Eric Bana (Munich, Lucky You) portrays the prince who dares to confront Achilles and Peter O’Toole (Venus) rules Troy as King Priam. Director Wolfgang Petersen recreates a long-ago world of warship flotillas, clashing armies, a massive fortress city and the towering Trojan Horse. Also starring are Brian Cox (Zodiac), Sean Bean (Lord of the Rings trilogy) and Brendan Gleeson (Harry Potter series).

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES
    Disc One
    Feature Film
    Troy Revisited: An Introduction by Wolfgang Petersen
    Disc Two
    Troy in Focus
    In The Thick of the Battle: Discovering how Troy's epic battle sequences were created, from thousands of warrior-extras training in the scorching heat of Mexico, to fierce one-on-one duels to the death
    From Ruins to Reality: Exploring how the ruins of ancient Troy were unearthed and how Troy’s production design magicians created their own version of this breathtaking, legendary city
    Troy: An Effects Odyssey: Secrets of Troy’s stunning visual effects are revealed, from conjuring a staggering 1,000 ship armada on the open seas, to producing the bone crunching sound effects of brutal ancient warfare
    Attacking Troy
    Greek Ship Towing
    Theatrical Trailer

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

Troy Director’s Cut
    Two Disc Standard DVD $20.97 SRP

Troy Ultimate Collector’s Edition
    $39.92 SRP

HD-BD Pricing: $34.99 SRP

Running Time: 192 minutes
    16x9 Widescreen, Color
    English, French, Spanish
    Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

2. donnie_d

donnie_d Stunt Coordinator

LOL,so Troy is a masterpiece now? OK.

but hey! i think it's NOT fair they do an ultimate set for this junk and not Alexander.

warner,release a 5-disc set Alexander collcetion,please.thanx.

3. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

Personally I think ALEXANDER was a LOT closer to being "junk" than TROY.

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

If this includes an additional 15-20 minutes of Brad's ass, count me out! Rented Troy on HD DVD a while back and it's going to take a lot for me to consider even watching the extended version.

5. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

If they had included Gabriel Yared's original score before Petersen junked it in favor of Hans Zimmer, I might have bitten. As it stands ... I'll pass.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Wow! So there is at least one "Alexander" fan who is demanding the elusive "quadruple dip". That's dedication! [​IMG]

Regards,

7. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Hmmmm extended versions of Brad Pitt and Eric Bana killing people or extended versions of Colin Farrell snuggling with guys.

I'll take more killing please!

8. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

Wasn't Zimmer, it was everyone's favorite composer to hate whose name should be more than obvious to anyone by this description.

Plus, the movie would probably have played out a bit too hokey with it.

Good music, bad film music. Happens all the time. The replacement score was loud as hell, massively bombastic. Over-the-top, but harder and more seriously so.

I am seriously interested in what those additional scenes are too, as it can't ONLY be more of Achilles' glutes and abs. The movie was a big yet fun action experience, but not really an epic.

9. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Oh right, James Horner, not Zimmer. Still, I'll take Yared.

10. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

Just buy the three different versions of Alexander already released on DVD. It only took Stone three attempts to get it right (if you can call what we ended up with 'getting it right'). There's your 5 discs right there.

11. JasonKZ

JasonKZ Stunt Coordinator

"...including special features from its first DVD release..."

So, they make it sound like all the features from the original disc are coming forward, plus Troy Revisited: An Introduction by Wolfgang Petersen, Attacking Troy, and Greek Ship Towing.

Not sure what is on my bestbuy.com bonus disc from the first release because I haven't opened it yet...........

12. Opi

Opi Stunt Coordinator

What the heck is "O-sleeve packaging" ?

13. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

Isn't that a slipcover with an outside flap with info on it?

14. TomWoodward

TomWoodward Second Unit

15. captainjoe

captainjoe Stunt Coordinator

So Troy is the first high definition double-dip.

16. CoreyII

CoreyII Second Unit

I will more than likely buy the director's cut. I always got a kick out of Troy and wasn't as hard on the film as other forum members.

I liked Pitt's performance as Achilles, as I have mentioned before, I would have loved to have seen Anakin Skywalker portrayed in the same manner. By the way, that statement wasn't meant to be a knock on Hayden Christensen's performance.