What's new

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary UCE (DVD/Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

Or the Casablanca set sold well...
I doubt it.

Given the 400% mark up on these Box-O-Junk Editions, the profit margins are at the very least 4 x's more than a disc only release.

With that kind of margin they don't have to "sell well" for Warner to make a profit.

I'm sure the cardboard and plastic trinkets don't add much more than a few pennies per unit to their costs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RobertR

Mike:

That makes it sound as if it definitely is the artwork for the UK release. Of course, I hope that's not true, but it doesn't look good.
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Holy Moley just saw the cover for the UK release. My God --
the worst cover I have ever seen for a Blu-ray title. Looks
like something that came out of the VHS era.
I'm sorry, Robert. I misspoke. I was referring to the link up in Post #256. Scroll down to the 8-22-09 entry. That's what made me think the "Sing-Along" edition was a separate "songs only" edition being released in the UK...much like those old Disney Sing-Along VHS releases from decades ago.

It says this disc is "part of the bonus features on the American versions."

But, admittedly, the amazon.uk listing doesn't give the same info.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Warner's site says that the "no-frills" BD of Casablanca is streeting tomorrow.

http://www.wbshop.com/Casablanca-+BD/1000019003,default,pd.html?cgid=

I'm not seeing this at Amazon, but Deep Discount is taking orders.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
no problem, but beware that "home" cinema is quite a different beast than a "commercial" cinema. it's like comparing a hybrid consumer passenger vehicle to a mack truck [/url]

Thanks very much, jedifonger, for this tech info!

So, what we are seeing at home on blu with a nice set up is pretty much the same as a theater at 2k. Interesting.

Don't you think theaters should go to 4k asap so that they can say that you're getting something beyond what you're getting in your living room?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I decided to buy the Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind, and North By Northwest from Amazon.co.uk . Being from the states I don't have to pay VAT. One thing I noticed is that Amazon only took the VAT off one of the blu-rays. I also ordered some CDs. The VAT was taken off all of the CDs. I tried canceling and reordering but it always comes out the same. Has anyone else had this happen ?

North By Northwest 11.98 pounds
Gone With The Wind 14.98 pounds
The Wizard of Oz 13.73 pounds. Sorry my keyboard doesn't
have the "pound" symbol.

Only the Wizard seems net of the VAT.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Thanks Jedifonger--fascinating stuff! I'm afraid I don't understand all of it, but I think I get the point that a properly presented digital presentation of a film can be better than what you see at home. We've already got our tix to see OZ at the theater on Weds. the 23rd at 7 pm. I think they are showing it at that same day and time across the country. Anyone else going?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
just wanted to warn ya'll that if you walk away disappointed, don't be surprised. what fathom events does is use the CONSUMER projector that's used on ad slides/TV commercials to project Oz and other "events". they do not use the COMMERCIAL projector to present "events". BSG S4 premiere was on there and and even some of the older Star Trek like Wrath of Khan was projected and many have walked away disappointed.

so you won't get the brightness attributed to commercial projection. in fact, your HOME projector (if u had one) will likely look better coupled w/Blu-Ray copy than that. fathom is just there2make $ =P. so unless they change, they will be presenting Oz on crappy projectors. it won't be bright enough to convey all that is Oz =P

Originally Posted by benbess

Thanks Jedifonger--fascinating stuff! I'm afraid I don't understand all of it, but I think I get the point that a properly presented digital presentation of a film can be better than what you see at home. We've already got our tix to see OZ at the theater on Weds. the 23rd at 7 pm. I think they are showing it at that same day and time across the country. Anyone else going?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by JediFonger

just wanted to warn ya'll that if you walk away disappointed, don't be surprised. what fathom events does is use the CONSUMER projector that's used on ad slides/TV commercials to project Oz and other "events". they do not use the COMMERCIAL projector to present "events". BSG S4 premiere was on there and and even some of the older Star Trek like Wrath of Khan was projected and many have walked away disappointed.
If that's true, it's not worth the gas to go see the WOZ in the theater. You can see the scan lines on those projectors.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

If that's true, it's not worth the gas to go see the WOZ in the theater. You can see the scan lines on those projectors.
I've heard that the Fathom events have taken a big jump up in quality in the last year or two. I'm sure it all depends on the theater.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Jim_K

I doubt it.

Given the 400% mark up on these Box-O-Junk Editions, the profit margins are at the very least 4 x's more than a disc only release.

With that kind of margin they don't have to "sell well" for Warner to make a profit.

I'm sure the cardboard and plastic trinkets don't add much more than a few pennies per unit to their costs.
The "box of junk" is $39.49 on Amazon, The disc only is $27.85. Not a 400% markup.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by RobertR

Where did you see the $39.49 price?
When I search Amazon.com the Blu-Ray Box 'o Junk Edition shows $51.99, and the DVD version is $44.99. There is no disc-only version available at Amazon.com only at Amazon.co.uk.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

When I search Amazon.com the Blu-Ray Box 'o Junk Edition shows $51.99, and the DVD version is $44.99. There is no disc-only version available at Amazon.com only at Amazon.co.uk.
I believe he is talking about the price of Casablanca, or he is confusing the price of the Wizard of Oz with that of Casablanca. The UCE of the Casablanca BD is $39.49 at Amazon. Warner's website is selling the disc-only BD of Casablanca for $19.16, so the UCE is roughly twice the price of the disc-only version.

http://www.wbshop.com/Casablanca-+BD/1000019003,default,pd.html?cgid=

Amazon's current price for the UCE of Wizard of Oz is $51.49 (that's down a few bucks from a few days ago), and when the disc-only version is released in the U.S. it isn't likely to be selling for much less than $25.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
For anybody who dislikes the uk coverart, there is also a blu ray version at amazon.de , listed for october 16 !!! The only downside is the lettering is in german, but im willing to overlook that if the english audio is included .It just has to be, it would be ridiculous if it wasnt.Plus, I really like the cover art.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

The "box of junk" is $39.49 on Amazon, The disc only is $27.85. Not a 400% markup.
What are you talking about?

There is no US BD disc only release, the Box O Junk is NOT $39 at Amazon (just checked), even if it was for a couple of hours the oddity of an e-tailer offering a 65% markdown on a product is irrelevant to Warners SRP pricing and their Box O Junk exclusive.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Jim_K

What are you talking about?

There is no US BD disc only release, the Box O Junk is NOT $39 at Amazon (just checked), even if it was for a couple of hours the oddity of an e-tailer offering a 65% markdown on a product is irrelevant to Warners SRP pricing and their Box O Junk exclusive.
Sorry I thought you were talking about the Casablanca list price. If you were talking about OZ I haven't looked at the price of that one. There were several "box-o-junk" sets being thrown around here as examples. But we were talking about the fact that Casablanca might have sold well and you said not with a 400% markup.

Doug

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
so, did people watch Oz on the big screen? how was it? curious about what fathom events has been doing. if they did, indeed, upgrade their PQ, i'd definitely try it again =).

otherwise, my home projector+lossless audio is better, lol ;).

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Target is exclusively selling a disc-only version of The Wizard of Oz on Blu-ray for $34.99. Pricey, but you avoid the box of junk. It's available this Tuesday. I'm sure the price for the BD-only version will be cheaper later, but if you want it now, there it is, and with extras you may not be able to access with the UK PAL version.

weeklyad.target.com/target/default.aspx Page 9 of weekly ad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks