WHV Press Release: The New World Extended Cut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    “A work of breathtaking imagination...and in every sense a masterpiece."
    - Carina Chocano, Los Angeles Times
    “Not like any other movie. A masterpiece.”
    - Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle

The New World Extended Cut

Director Terrence Malick’s Epic Starring Colin Farrell,
    Christian Bale and Christopher Plummer Features
    More than 30 Minutes of Never-Before-Seen Footage!
    October 14 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif, June 23, 2008 - The New World, Academy Award® nominated director Terrence Malick’s (The Thin Red Line, Days of Heaven) adventure-filled journey of discovery, will be released October 14 on DVD in a new amped-up Extended Cut. This edition of the critically-acclaimed, Oscar®-nominated epic recreating the turbulent first days of the new America now features more than 30 minutes of never-before-seen footage, heightening the viewing experience with more battles, more intensity and more visual splendor. Also included is a comprehensive, ten-part documentary – Making the New World – which captures the unique creative challenges filmmakers faced. The New World Extended Cut will sell for $19.97 SRP.

Synopsis
    Powhatan tribal people stare in wonder as three ships approach shore. It’s a story every schoolchild knows; the story of Capt. John Smith (Colin Farrell) and Pocahontas (Q’orianka Kilcher). Now, as told by filmmaker Terrence Malick (Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line) in this extended version with more than 30 minutes of footage unseen in theaters -- it’s a story you never imagined. Working in part from first-hand histories and adding his extraordinary sense of image and human drama, Malick crafts a visceral, spellbinding tale of the Jamestown settlement, of cultures connecting and of deadly consequences when connections fray. Christian Bale and Christopher Plummer also star.

Special Features
    · A comprehensive, ten-part documentary Making the New World capturing the unique challenges of creating this historic epic.

The New World Extended Cut
    $19.97 SRP
    Feature Running Time: 172 minutes – Unrated
    2:35 Letterbox
    English 5.1 Surround & English 2.0
    English CC, Spanish Subtitles

2. AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe Second Unit

yay!

though it does make my italian version (with the critic's cut) obsolete

3. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Supporting Actor

this means blue Ray TOO?

4. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    This was taking so long, I just about gave up hope.

Now when are the studios gonna announce those Adaptation SE and Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair DVDs? [​IMG]

5. Martin Teller

Martin Teller Cinematographer

I really want to know this as well. I'll buy it either way, but I'd definitely prefer Blu-Ray.

6. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Region free BR would be better.

7. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I REALLY want this on BR, but I'll see it any way that I can. Still...Malick on Blu Ray. How hard is that?

8. Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman Second Unit

The Bits' sources say a BD version "isn't currently on the slate." I hope things change soon.

Remember when this was first talked about by Sarah Green (a producer on the film), and she said it was headed to HD-DVD (no mention of any other format)? Malick's visuals are perfect for hi-def.

Really, really looking forward to this.

9. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

I'm all over this when it hits the shelves. The 2nd and 3rd acts of this film are about as perfect as anything I've ever seen.

I'm not a HDM guy yet, but I do feel your pain on this one. When I do jump into BR, this will be one I need to have in HD.

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I really want this on BluRay too. I've got the original on DVD already. And I've got a pair of Japanese mini posters for the film on my wall too. It is that good!

Please, BluRay please!

11. Dion C

Dion C Stunt Coordinator

I love Terrence Malick films.

I love "The New World."

Of all the titles that SHOULD come out on Blu-ray... Of all the titles that WOULD absolutely look jaw-droppingly stunning on Blu-ray... Of all the titles that have no excuse for NOT being released promptly on Blu-ray...

Aside from trying to grab two bites from the consumers' apple, what possible justification is there for Warner not releasing this on Blu?

Not ready yet? Then hold off on the standard-def in order to do your vaunted simultaneous SD and BD releasing strategy.

Not enough market interest to justify the release on HDM? This is a visual tour de force that would compel a purchase from many true cinephiles.

What are you afraid of, Warner? That all the true fans of sumptuous visual compositions won't buy from you again after your technically subpar HD release of that box office behometh, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"? (i.e.: If that title can get a HD release...)

A Blu-ray release of any Malick film gets my immediate pre-order. A SD release with no high-def release "currently on the slate" keeps my money in my pocket and my reaction to your SD release as nothing more than benign indifference.

It's 2008.

12. Paul Crow

Paul Crow Auditioning

Woohoo! Can't wait!

13. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

I can't imagine why this disc would make the Italian set, which I also own, obsolete. Neither of the two versions on the Italian set will be on the new DVD. The "critics version," which actually played in NY and LA, where I saw it, is 150 mins, and is, to my mind, perfect. I'm excited to see a longer version, but I love the original 150 min version I saw twice and would never part with it, especially as the 135 min cut is really enormosly different.

14. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

When I first saw this film, based on what the response was around here, and how it spoke to people and how it resonated and had deep levels, etc, I figured I wasn't refined or smart enough to 'get it', so to speak. The whole non-linear-to-the-extreme style just confused the hell out of me.

That was my thinking up until late 2006, when a certain member of the film's production went on audio record to say the film is as unusual as it is because it's just plain confusing, and no one on the film knew what Malick was doing with it as he cut it together in an almost random fashion. The implication was that Malick himself confused everyone involved to the point of not delivering the film he said he would to the studio, producers and crew. .

So I have a question: Is this longer version just longer, or is it pretty much a different film because it's structured differently as well to make it more linear?

15. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I did not notice any non-linear storytelling of note, but then again I'm used to the likes of Atom Egoyan who really churn time around.

I don't have an answer about the structure of the new version though, sorry.

16. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

One of my favorite movies ever.

The movie is pretty much linear. Maybe you are referring to The Thin Red Line?

~T

17. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

"Just longer"; a LOT longer!
    Yeah were only talking about lingering more, giving scenes & the movie even greater of an atmospheric feel.

EDitEDbyED:
    Here's a link to the thread I started in '06:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...world-dvd.html
    w/quote about the extra fifteen minutes.

18. fernby

fernby Extra

At last, now I can really get into this film! Bring on the longer version!!! WOO HOO!!!

19. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Yeah, the existing cut definitely falls into the 'linear' category for me. As for the new cut, I honestly have a hard time believing the film could be any better- this has quickly jumped to being one of my all-time favorites based on repeat viewings. Do we know if this is a director's cut or just an extended cut, and if Malick approved of it, etc?

Of course, I'll be picking this up regardless.

Nathan

20. Will_B

Will_B Producer

This is definitely Malick's doing, not a studio. Theatrical version had to be a certain length to play in theatres, and he said from the start that he had a longer cut in mind.