WHV Press Release: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey EXTENDED EDITION (3D/2D BD Combo)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

hob1.jpeg
    hob2.jpeg

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY EXTENDED EDITION

A PRODUCTION OF NEW LINE CINEMA

AND METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER PICTURES,

ARRIVES ON DIGITAL DOWNLOAD ON

OCTOBER 22TH AND ON BLU-RAY 3DTM,

BLU-RAY™ AND DVD NOVEMBER 5TH FROM

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Features a 13-Minute Longer Cut and 
     Nearly Nine Hours of New Special Features

Burbank, Calif., July 31, 2013 – Fans of Middle-earth will have the opportunity to gain a broader experience of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, from Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson, when the epic fantasy adventure is released as an Extended Edition on Digital Download October 22nd and on Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD on November 5th from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE). A production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures, this new cut includes 13 minutes of extra film footage that extends individual scenes, making this the must-see, definitive version for fans. All disc versions of the Extended Edition include nearly nine hours of new bonus features and will be available just ahead of the December 13 theatrical release of the second film of the trilogy, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

“I’m thrilled that the Extended Edition will give fans the opportunity to experience certain key scenes in the film as they were originally shot, as well as an abundance of special features,” said Jackson. “It’s exciting to present this expanded and enriched version of 'An Unexpected Journey' to allow fans to fully immerse themselves in the movie, before seeing the second part of the trilogy.” 

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition will be available as a 5-disc Blu-ray 3D set ($54.98 SRP) that features the Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray versions of the Extended Edition; a 3-disc Blu-ray ($35.99) and a 5-disc DVD ($34.99) The Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD all include UltraVioletTM which allows consumers to download and instantly stream the Extended Edition in high definition to a wide range of devices including computers and compatible tablets, smartphones, game consoles, Internet-connected TVs and Blu-ray players.* 

The nearly nine hours of new special features boasts audio commentary with Peter Jackson, director/producer/screenwriter, and Philippa Boyens, co-producer/screenwriter, and “The Appendices,” a multi-part documentary focusing on various aspects of the film and the Trilogy. Complete special feature details are provided below.

The first of a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” was nominated for three Academy Awards®.

SYNOPSIS

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the first in Peter Jackson's highly anticipated trilogy adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien.

The adventure follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome Dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the Wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of 13 Dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild, through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins, Orcs and deadly Wargs, as well as a mysterious and sinister figure known only as the Necromancer.

Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the Goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever...Gollum.

Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of ingenuity and courage that surprise even him; he also gains possession of Gollum's “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities...A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.

The screenplay for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is by Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson & Guillermo del Toro, based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien.  Jackson also produced the film, together with Carolynne Cunningham, Zane Weiner and Fran Walsh.  The executive producers are Alan Horn, Toby Emmerich, Ken Kamins and Carolyn Blackwood, with Boyens and Eileen Moran serving as co-producers.

New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), Present a WingNut Films Production, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.  All three films in The Hobbit Trilogy, also including The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and the final film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, are productions of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), with New Line managing production.  Warner Bros. Pictures handled worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television distribution handled by MGM.

ALL-NEW SPECIAL FEATURES ON BLU-RAY 3D, BLU-RAY AND DVD:

• Commentary with Peter Jackson, Director/Producer/Screenwriter and Philippa Boyens, Co-Producer/Screenwriter

·  The Appendices – A multi-part chronological history of the filming of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, covering pre-production in the various departments of the film in the months leading up to the start of principal photography, the boot camp training for the main cast, the work done on set chronologically through the three shooting blocks and in the world of its digital effects.

·  New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition

Street Date: November 5, 2013

Order Due Date: October 1, 2013

Rating: PG-13

Run Time: 184 mins.

Blu-ray 3D: $54.98 SRP

Blu-ray: $35.99 SRP

DVD: $34.99 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

2. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    My God. A longer version of THE HOBBIT?I loved LORD OF THE RINGS. Think the extended versions of those
    films are better than the theatrical versions.

On the other hand, I found the theatrical release of THE HOBBIT to
    be horrendously long and boring. That's what happens when you
    extend a single book into three films.

I am happy for the fans that they are getting a longer version of this
    film with all these cool extras. But for me, I think I am going to sit
    this one out because I find it hard enough to plod through the movie
    as is.

BobO'Link, Adam_S and Stephen_J_H like this.
  3. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

SO... The Blu-ray and DVD editions come out 2 WEEKS AFTER the extended version is available for download, and they want between $34.99 and $54.99 depending on format to own it? They might as well just call the overpriced, hard-copy 2-weeks-later editions the "Screw You Morons" versions and do away with the charade of giving a damn about consumers. The mind boggles...

Vincent

sean1976 likes this.
  4. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

I'm with Ron on this. I found the movie to have some lovely moments but to be interminable overall. There's simply not enough story to sustain three movies here. Even doing two, as was the original plan, was going to be a bit much. But breaking it into three parts is really pushing it.

And frankly, I think I've got plenty with the longer versions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Plenty of movie material, and plenty of bonuses. I can't imagine that there's that much more to learn about how WETA plans to present Middle Earth to everyone.

5. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

No surprise that a longer, extended edition was announced. I recall folks speculating about this when the theatrical cut was announced for DVD/Blu-ray.

I haven't seen the film theatrically or on home video and I've been on the fence since it was first announced that The Hobbit was going to be spread across three films, due to concerns over padding a single book out into that number of films.

I hope those who enjoyed the film like the new material, but I'm probably waiting until all three films have been released before jumping into the pool.

- Walter.

6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I find this trend of releasing blu-rays/DVDs weeks after download/streaming to be very troubling. (Isn't Paramount doing the same for Star Trek Into Darkness?) I don't like the preference being shown for downloading, which suggests - as many in the home theater community fear - that studios will try to limit or eliminate physical media.

That said, I'm in for this edition of the Hobbit on blu-ray.

cafink likes this.
  7. Mark VH

Mark VH Stunt Coordinator

Overall wasn't a fan of the LOTR extended editions (save for The Two Towers), and though I enjoyed the first Hobbit far more than I thought I would, I see no need for a longer version. Pass.

8. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    What about HFR 48?

I'll get this eventually. Might have to wait for Ultra HD though.

9. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I really liked The Hobbit, but then I also was a big fan of the Tolkein books as a child, and I also liked Gods and Generals, which many complained was too long.

[Spoiler ahead] As for this bit about extending a single book into three films, virtually every critic of the film says that, but I think that it is fundamentally incorrect. I don't know why Peter Jackson and the producers haven't done more to explain what they are doing, but maybe they want to create the illusion that this is a three part triology similar to Lord of the Rings. In fact, what they are doing is combining the single book of The Hobbit with a whole host of notes and sketches left by Tolkein dealing with Middle Earth lore and what happens between the time of the Hobbit and the time of The Fellowship of the Ring. Although there may be some postscript dealing with the return to the Shire in the book (I can't recall), The Hobbit essentially ends with the killing of Smaug and the retaking of the Lonely Mountain by the Dwarfs. I expect that that will be the point where the second film ends. After that, Tolkein wrote about a big confrontation between various wizards, armies and Sauron, as a result of which, Sauron was driven out of Dol Guldor in Mirkwood, and fled to Mordor. Although I think that the story of the Hobbit is being spread into two books, many details have been added to it to set the stage for the third film. These include the meeting of Gandalf and Saruman at Rivendale and much of the storyline involving Azog, the albino Orc. Some of these details come from Tolkein, others from Peter Jackson. For those who want to know more, I found this article: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/The-Tolkien-Nerds-Guide-to-The-Hobbit--185546102.html.

Randy Korstick and cafink like this.
  10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The only thing keeping me interested in the other two movies is the HFR projection. If I decide to get the extended editions, I'll wait to the end and get all 3 in an uber box set, with probably more features.

11. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Okay, that's interesting. I honestly don't think I've heard or read that before. Probably the marketing of the film doesn't lend itself to the content described by Joe. "The Hobbit and some other stuff" by Peter Jackson just doesn't really role off of the tongue. :)

Thanks for the detail, Joe.

- Walter.

12. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Peter Jackson: The Director incapable of editing. Don't get me wrong; I love The Frighteners and the first two films in the LOTR trilogy, but as he has gone along in his career, his films have gotten longer and less interesting. King Kong put me to sleep. I still haven't seen the first Hobbit, and my desire to do so wanes with each passing day. I suspect that part of the conflict that led Guillermo del Toro to leave The Hobbit was that del Toro knows how to tell a story in a relatively brief running time, and couldn't understand why this was being split into two films (at the time).

13. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I'm a big fan of the extended cuts of Fellowship and Two Towers. Spectacular stuff.

But, I remain on the fence about these Hobbit films until we've seen the whole picture. It's clear that PJ is not only incapable of tight editing but that he has also become a pure fanatic of Tolkien lore. He wants to paint a 6 picture version of as much Middle Earth history as he has the rights to illustrate. I can't be sure if this is a good idea until we've seen the whole picture.

My initial opinion has been that The Hobbit should/could have been 1 movie...or two at most. But, as said above, this is more than just the Hobbit. Is that a wise storytelling choice? Maybe not. We'll see.

@Joe - The Hobbit ends with the Battle of the Five Armies and Bilbo returning home (There and Back Again). I do think that the second film is likely to end with the defeat of Smaug and it will be very interesting to see how the third film is structured around the politics of the treasure and the Battle of the Five Armies.

14. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Yep...and it'll be cheaper that way, too.

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I loved the extended versions of The Lord of the Rings and I really liked The Hobbit, but I am probably fine with the current digibook version. However, I cannot rule this out completely especially if there is any PQ improvement over the already excellent regular version.

16. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Now available for Preorder...

hob1.jpeg hob2.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

17. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    I hope that after all three films have been released theatrically and then the blu-rays and then the extended blu-rays have been released, a three hour cut will be made to show the basic story line of The Hobbit, a short, wonderful book.

I can just about visualise a separate film taking place between The Hobbit and LOTR.

18. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    As the kids are saying these days, "redonkulous."

19. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

That sums up my feelings on these films. I am a big fan of the extended cuts of LOTR, but found the theatrical version of The Hobbit long and tedious. I did pick up the BD when the price dropped, but have yet to build up the desire to watch it again. I have no desire to see a longer version of the film.

20. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Supporting Actor

Really?! You demand a pricing re-evaluation because you imagine the product de-valued after a window of two weeks?

ijthompson likes this.