WHV Press Release: The Exorcist Extended Director's Cut (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 21, 2010.

1. JayMacey

JayMacey Stunt Coordinator

Me too Crawdaddy. Since they're including the original theatrical cut I'm going to have to double dip on this one

2. owen35

owen35 Stunt Coordinator

Steve

I couldn't agree with you more. The staircase discussion scene really needed to be in the final original cut, but the "new director's cut" is nothing but fluff and stuff that really needed to be left out.

3. owen35

owen35 Stunt Coordinator

Steve

Bug was interesting, but nothing he's done recently even comes close to the type of productions he did in the early part of his career. If he were to do The Exorcist now, I doubt it would be of the same caliber of direction. In my opinion, he sort of lost his edge, his desire to push the language of cinema and has fallen back onto a more traditional film director who chooses interesting projects. This criticism, however, could be applied to a lot of director's from that era (Coppola, Bogdanavich, Lumet, Allen, De Palma, etc.). It seems only Scorsese still brings a level of passion to his films that the others seem to be lacking.

4. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson

BUG was not merely interesting, it was a fine piece of work from all involved, and shows he's got plenty of edge left IMO. If he continues to make films of this caliber (whenever that may be), I'll have absolutely no complaints.

5. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I saw BUG and I think "interesting" and "crazy" are two appropriate words to describe it. I wouldn't say it was a "good" film at all ... but certainly got more and more intriguing as the movie progressed (not so much early on). I think many viewers wouldn't make it to the latter part of the film. Ashley Judd was amazingly good in her performance, almost worthy enough for an Academy Award nomination.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It's odd to see Lumet described that way. The usual rap on him in the Seventies was that he did not "push the language of cinema", but was a solid, reliable craftsman on whom studios could count to stay on schedule. As it turned out, though, Lumet was an innovator in adopting digital filmmaking before almost anyone else. And then we got 2007's Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, and suddenly Lumet's old-fashioned craftsmanship looked downright novel (and thrilling).

As for Coppola, anyone who thinks he's lost his "edge" should watch Tetro. Even if the film isn't to your taste, it shows that Coppola is still taking chances.

7. owen35

owen35 Stunt Coordinator

Steve

That's a fair reply; perhaps Lumet wasn't known for pushing cinematic language, but his record of late hasn't equaled his 70's work. Devil Knows... seems to be the exception as it is an impressive film and one that demonstrated his solid craftsmanship, which was nice to see. As for Coppola, to be honest, I haven't yet seen Tetro, but I'll certainly add it to my immediate list after your comment. I've always been a HUGE Coppola fan and often feel he gets dismissed too easily. One From The Heart and Rumble Fish are two remarkable films that need greater appreciation.

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    "The power of Christ compels you!"

Really looking forward to this one. I just hope Friedkin hasn't messed about with the colour or added more demonic faces on the walls etc the film didn't need them.

The trailer is worth a look, it includes never before seen on-set footage!

http://bluray.ign.com/dor/objects/71378/the-exorcist/videos/exorcist_bd_red_trl_080310.html

EDIT posted in the wrong Exorcist thread sorry guys, thanks for moving it.

9. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    This is one of those films that I'll remember for the rest of my life. Such a well made, frightening, and intense film. Think I've owned just about every medium of this so why not another LOL.

10. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

11. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

Found it out early and put my cash down! Its not noted on the back, but all trailers, tv spots and radio spots are included for both versions. To my eyes these look exactly as they should. No signs of digital meddling. The picture is crisp and nicely detailed. Barely a hint of grain so far. The DTS tracks on both are nice and loud. The remastered mix on the newer version has plenty of artificial thump applied.

12. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    Can you tell me if on the original theatrcal cut of if the film opens with the original WB's LOGO or the new more updated one?

13. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

Both cuts have the same updated logo. Looks like a very dark silverish color.

14. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack

Thanks for the heads up. It isn't a deal breaker for me but I wish original logos would be kept in tact. I kind of figured they would be changed and have been for several releases. I think the old FULL FRAME DVD of Exorcist contains the logo that is my avatar.

15. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen

I really liked that logo back then. It was different and set the period, but of course now it is nostalgic for the 70's. Don't change it.

16. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Boy, do I ever wish the studios would preserve the original logos. Do whatever you want to altered versions, but don't change ANYTHING on the original. Theatrical cut is theatrical cut. Period. Preserve it.

17. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    As strange as it may seem, I actually didn't like that logo back then. But it was part of many films of the era that I love, and I wouldn't touch it.

18. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Logos don't mean that much to me, but transfers do. I'm running on faith here, with the order in shipping process from Amazon, and no early reviews.

19. Guest

Bummer about the logo. It set the creepy tone for the movie the way it came toward the screen and then back.

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's hardly a deal breaker for me but I wish they'd have kept the original logo (even if I think it's hideously ugly).