WHV Press Release: The Dark Knight Trilogy: Ultimate Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY:

ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION

BLU-RAY™ DEBUT SEPTEMBER 24

FROM WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT

All Three Films, New Special Features, and Memorabilia

Burbank, Calif. July 2, 2013 – Christopher Nolan’s reimagining of the Batman franchise beginning with 2005’s Batman Begins enjoyed phenomenal critical and box-office success.

Now on September 24, Nolan’s three Batman films  Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises – will be released by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment as The Dark Knight Trilogy: Ultimate Collector’s Edition. The six-disc set will feature all three films with their existing extra content, two new featurettes and exclusive new collectible memorabilia. This must-own collection for fans of DC Comics’ Caped Crusader is available in premium packaging and will sell for $99.97 SRP.

About the Ultimate Collector’s Edition (UCE):

*Disc 1 – Batman Begins Feature and Special Features

*Disc 2 – The Dark Knight Feature

*Disc 3 – The Dark Knight Special Features

*Disc 4 – The Dark Knight Rises Feature

*Disc 5 – The Dark Knight Rises Special Features

*Disc 6 – Bonus Disc of New Special Features (details follow)

NEW Special Features:

• The Fire Rises: The Creation and Impact of The Dark Knight Trilogy - The inside perspective on the fascinating story behind the creation of one of the most celebrated franchises and how it changed the scope of movie making….forever.  Full of never-before-seen footage, rare moments, and exclusive interviews with  Guillermo Del Toro, Damon Lindelof, Michael Mann, Richard Roeper, Zack Snyder and others.

·  Christopher Nolan & Richard Donner: A Conversation - For the first time, Directors Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy) and Richard Donner (Superman) sit down to discuss the trials and triumphs involved in bringing the two most iconic superheroes of all time to the big screen, and how Superman influenced Nolan when developing Batman Begins.

·  IMAX® Sequences: The Dark Knight; The Dark Knight Rises - See your favorite scenes as they were intended in the original IMAX© aspect ratio

Exclusive NEW Memorabilia:

·  Premium Mattel Hot Wheels Vehicles: Batmobile, Batpod and Tumbler

·  Newly commissioned collectible art cards by Mondo featuring Scarecrow, Joker, Bane, Harvey Dent, and Ra's al Ghul

·  48-page hardcover book featuring production stills and behind the scenes images from all three movies

About The Films

Batman Begins (2005)

Batman Begins explores the origins of the Batman legend and the Dark Knight’s emergence as a force for good in Gotham. In the wake of his parents’ murder, disillusioned industrial heir Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) travels the world seeking the means to fight injustice and turn fear against those who prey on the fearful. He returns to Gotham and unveils his alter-ego: Batman, a masked crusader who uses his strength, intellect and an array of high tech deceptions to fight the sinister forces that threaten the city.

The Dark Knight (2008)

The follow-up to Batman BeginsThe Dark Knight reunites director Christopher Nolan and star Christian Bale, who reprises the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in his continuing war on crime. With the help of Lt. Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), Batman sets out to destroy organized crime in Gotham for good. The triumvirate proves effective, but soon find themselves prey to a rising criminal mastermind known as The Joker (Heath Ledger), who thrusts Gotham into anarchy and forces Batman closer to crossing the fine line between hero and vigilante. Maggie Gyllenhaal joins the cast as Rachel Dawes. Returning from Batman Begins are Oldman, Michael Caine as Alfred and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox.

Dark Knight Rises (2012)

It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act.

But everything will change with the arrival of a cunning cat burglar with a mysterious agenda. Far more dangerous, however, is the emergence of Bane, a masked terrorist whose ruthless plans for Gotham drive Bruce out of his self-imposed exile. But even if he dons the cape and cowl again, Batman may be no match for Bane. Christian Bale stars, along with Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Morgan Freeman.

THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY: ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION (BD)

Street Date: September 24, 2013

Order Due Date: August 20, 2013

Catalog/UPC #: 1000372133 / 883929308002

Pricing: $99.97 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Blu-ray Disc™ and Blu-ray™ and the logos are the trademarks of Blu-ray Disc Association.

® & © 2009 IMAX Corporation. All rights reserved.

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs™ offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I've been holding out on picking up Dark Knight Rises in the hopes that this set would have a spruced up Batman Begins, but this all sounds like a repack mostly.

I'll wait for review. Without the 2 new featurettes and the cars and stuff, there's $40 worth of content in here if it's the same transfers.

Does the Dark Knight Rises Bluray not switch aspect ratios for the IMAX like The Dark Knight disc does?

3. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    I watched the blu-ray of The Dark Knight Rises last week for the first time, great film (AR switches like The Dark Knight). My only disappointment with both Dark Knight films is that (as other posters have mentioned) they weren't filmed in 70mm. I understand the reasons why they couldn't be filmed entirely in IMAX but with 4K on the horizon I would have expected major productions like these to be filmed in 70mm in anticipation.

4. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Thanks Keith, I thought I had read that this was the case. I wonder what the point of this featurette is then?

IMAX® Sequences: The Dark Knight; The Dark Knight Rises - See your favorite scenes as they were intended in the original IMAX© aspect ratio"

Are they new transfers of the films that ruin the directors intent of the last two films? Doesn't make sense.

Warner's is getting a bit ridiculous these days...

5. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    damn its going to be an expensive year if I get this on top of everything. This would replace my Dark Night Rises but I think Id wind up keeping the first one with the comic and the 2nd one since it is the Bat Mask release...
    so much double dipping...I might actually wait for a Amazon gold box or black Friday sale or something...there are too many first time Blu Ray releases that I want to get (mainly from Scream Factory such as Psycho 2,3 , the Vincent Price Set, etc ) and Warner is releasing House of Wax too...wallet screaming !! :)

6. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    Before buying The Dark Knight Rises on blu-ray I thought long and hard about buying the trilogy or waiting as I already had The Dark Knight. In the end I have bought separate editions and have just ordered Batman Begins as I assumed Warners wouldn't be revisiting the transfer and you can't wait indefinitely for things to turn up.

I avoid double dipping if at all possible.

7. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Batman Begins could use a new transfer/higher bitrate encode. The Dark Knight needs a new transfer as well. The 35mm footage suffers from lots of filtering and ringing because it was sourced from the IMAX prints instead of 35mm sources.

The new extras sound tempting, but like nearly everyone, I already own the 3 films. Will wait for reviews to get word on any substantial upgrades.

8. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    If they are including the IMAX scenes on a new seperate disc, it's possible that TDK and TDKR will be presented in a constant 2.40:1 AR, which would be a welcome change. TDK isn't so bad but I find the changing AR in Rises quite random and annoying. A new transfer for Begins is really the only reason I would buy this set. I know that movie can look better than it currently does. Sent from my SCH-S738C using Home Theater Forum mobile app

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I agree, a new transfer for Batman Begins and i'd also like to see one for The Dark Knight due to the edge halo's on the 35mm shots, as already mentioned that's due to the IMAX DRM process, if it's an ultimate set then i'd hope for lots of deleted footage and maybe even brand new 7.1 mixes, i need more 7.1 mixes to take advantage of my 7.1 AV Receiver.

I see lots of features and a hardcover book but i want deleted scenes, i want new transfers of the first two movies and i want my very own large version, road worthy batmobile too.

10. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    Definitely disappointed that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are the existing discs. Both need a video encode upgrade to AVC since they're both VC-1 with low bitrates. Both are also lacking a DTS-HD Master Audio track (Rises has one.) Give how popular these films are and how much money they earn, I don't think it's too much to ask for the best possible audio/visual presentation :mellow:

11. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Making the films a constant .40:1 would be an instant no sale for me. I want them the way they were meant to be seen, which was IMAX. Yeah, I don't have an IMAX size screen, but those sequences were still composed for that ratio, I want that ratio.

13. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    But the IMAX footage is 1.44:1. The current presentation still crops it to 1.78:1. Neither the current 2.40:1/1.78:1 shifting presentation or a constant 2.40:1 presentation are giving us the correct aspect ratio (though the footage is being included in 1.44:1 on the bonus disc).

14. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    It's still more correct then than 2.40:1. And I enjoy seeing it in Dark Knight.

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I agree.

16. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Due to Warner Bros. continuing trend to not list if these are new transfers (similar to that Wizard of Oz set prior to Ron pinning them down on it), I think I'm just going to skip this one. The Dark Knight Rises just got another price drop locally, I'm going to pick it up and be done with it.

17. YanMan

YanMan Stunt Coordinator

Yannick
    Can someone from HTF with contacts at WB reach out to them to try to get clarification if these will be the existing discs for BB and TDK?

18. WillG

WillG Producer

It would be nice if people who bought all three separately could have the bonus disc made available to them via proof of purchase and maybe a couple of bucks. I find it to be deceptive to release this set with new content so soon after TDKR was released on BD. If WB said something up front or released this a couple of years down the line, then fine. In this case I might have waited if I known (but I guess that is the opposite of what WB wants)

19. MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60 I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific

Stephen Lilley
    They did say something up front, I believe. It was on some official document with a schedule of big releases for this year, released last year I believe before THE DARK KNIGHT RISES hit Blu-ray. There was the other trilogy set, and the teasing of "Look for another, BETTER trilogy set in Q3 of 2013!"

20. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks
    I bought that trilogy set and it looks, unfortunately, like I'll be sticking with it. Reprinting the exisiting discs was OK for that because it was just a "quick and cheap" repackage, but to do it AGAIN for a supposedly "Ultimate Collector's Edition" is ridonkulous. A new doc and a couple of Hot Wheels are not worth the price of this set without remastered movies. This trilogy really deserves something more along the lines of The Ultimate Matrix Collection. Think about this.....people complained bitterly about Star Wars reusing 2004 masters? The current master for Batman Begins is only a year or so newer than that, and the video encode is VC-1 repurposed from the HD DVD which I believe was from 2007. Both BB and TDK are authored to start playing automatically and default to Dolby Digital, requiring you to manually select the TrueHD track after the movie has started. Not fixing this in a premium 2013 release is beyond inexcusable. Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app