WHV Press Release: The Aviator (HD-DVD/Blu-Ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The Aviator soars on HD DVD and Blu-ray November 6

Burbank, Calif. (September 10, 2007) – For some men, the sky was the limit. For Howard Hughes -- wily industrialist, glamorous movie producer and unstoppable American innovator -- it was just the beginning.

Now on November 6, The Aviator, the blockbuster epic biopic directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Hughes and Cate Blanchett as Katharine Hepburn, will be flying higher than ever for its high definition debut from Warner Home Video ($28.99 SRP).

The Aviator won five Academy Awards® -- Best Supporting Actress for Miss Blanchett; Best Art Direction; Cinematography; Costume Design and Editing. Mr. Scorsese and Mr. DiCaprio were also nominated.

Special Features:
    Commentary from director Martin Scorsese
    Additional deleted scene
    History Channel documentary
    Still gallery
    Theatrical trailer (HD)

The Aviator
    Street Date: November 6, 2007
    HD DVD and Blu-ray Pricing: $28.99 SRP

Warner Home Video HD DVD and Blu-ray Discs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The new formats also provide a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu-bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

2. BrettB

BrettB Producer

3. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Great. Another WB release with low bitrate lossy audio. I'll keep my DVD. No thanks.

edit: Just looked and it appears that Buena Vista has the rights in many of the overseas markets. We should get a nice lossless PCM track from them when it comes out. Disney doesn't region code catalog titles.

4. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

This is they type of movie that visually is MADE for high def. Too bad about the audio....I can at least hope that the HD DVD has a 1.5 mbps track. I MIGHT cave if it does. I really wish Warner would take advantage of the capabilities of Blu if they are gonna stick with being neutral.

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    It won't. Warner's HD-DVDs DD+ tracks are all 640kbps with one exception, The Fountain.

6. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

If it looks like the 35mm prints I'll pass. DNR hell.

7. ppltd

ppltd Producer

While I normally like Martin Scorsese films, I had a hard time sitting through this (IMHO) overlong and dragging movie at the theater. It did not help that watching the film included seeing nearly 3 hours of Leonardo DiCaprio on screen.[​IMG] I think I will pass.

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Love this film. Will gladly pick up the BD. [​IMG]

9. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Weird,I always thought that The Fountain was 640k and all the others were 1.5Mbps. This is why I wish my HD-A1 showed bitrate - hopefully the gen 3 players will.

10. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

that's the step in the right direction!

keep it it whv on all your future releases!!!

fox and parmound do it and they also release almost of the hd trailers in oar too. whv do so too...

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm not an audio whiner. I'll be buying this 'un on day 1.

12. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Call me a whiner if you want, but that was the same attitude many people had on this forum concerning anamorphic DVDs back in the late 90's. People used to say "It's a step-up from Laserdisc so I'm buying it!". Lossless will become the standard in a few years (it already is for several studios) and I don't want to rebuy these films again. I'd like them to be right the first time.

In the meantime, I'll wait for the high bitrate Buena Vista release with PCM.

13. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

Paramount and Universal have always used 1.5mbps on their DD+ tracks, Warner has always done 640kbps (except for The Fountain).

14. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

While I also enjoy this movie I might have to play the wait-n-see game if BV actually does release this with lossless; too many movies in Oct/Nov to buy a hobbled presentation.

15. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy

I'd never single you out! I simply won't be repurchasing this or any othe film for a slight audio upgrade. I'd prefer PCM or True but 640 Dolby ain't chopped liver. Some of these 640 tracks sound as good as lossless to me. If DVD had gotten 640 Dolby years back, folks would of been estatic, I'd bet. Now it equates to leopracy with many folks.

Video es numero uno.....por la Gata!

16. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

Considering we had laserdiscs long before DVD doing 1.5mbps 5.1 (DTS), I don't think many of us would be that ecstatic. Here we are, almost 15 years later and Warner is still releasing product on a next-gen, high-def format that is below that of LD's of 15 years ago! Thankfully, there are several other studios doing the right thing. It's just a shame because Warner has such a great catalog but these subpar releases are really depressing.

Video es numero uno.....por la Gata![/quote]

17. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Jeff, my math skills are poor but wasn't DTS on LD more like 1.2 ? My ears suggest to me that there is little differnce between the two. I walked on guilded numerals.