WHV Press Release: Supernatural: The Complete Second Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, May 29, 2007.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    SUPERNATURAL:
    THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON

CATCH ALL 22 SPINE-CHILLING EPISODES OF SEASON TWO ON DVD JUST IN TIME FOR THE SEASON THREE PREMIERE ON THE CW

The Journey Begins September 11, 2007

BURBANK, CA. (May 23, 2007) – Gear up for another ride in Supernatural’s ’67 Chevy Impala, as brothers Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) Winchester hunt for what gives most people nightmares. On September 11, Warner Home Video will release Supernatural: The Complete Second Season on DVD. Bound by tragedy and blood to a dangerous otherworldly mission, the two brothers travel from the Colorado wilderness to Nebraska farmlands and on to isolated Wisconsin lakes, encountering creatures that most people believe only exist in folklore, superstition and nightmares. The DVD is a six-disc set which features all 22 episodes of the second season and contains in addition to audio commentary. Special features include an interactive “Devil’s Road Map” revealing an in-depth look to the urban legends behind the mysteries which inspired the creator, the following of one episode from concept to creation, a gag reel, Jared Padalecki’s original screen test, and more. Supernatural: The Complete Second Season hits shelves just in time for fans to catch up with the Winchester brothers before the paranormal journey ignites with the season three premiere on the CW. The six-disc collector’s set is priced to own at $59.98 SRP.

They’re back – the ghouls and vampires, the ghosts and spirits – and even more terrifying entities. And wherever these evil beings are, you’ll find brothers Sam and Dean Winchester, hunters on the trail of the demon who murdered their mother…and of any other unholy agent of the Supernatural. Join the brothers in their mind-bending, bone-chilling Season 2 road trip across America – a journey deeper into the mystery of their own destinies.

Marketing Support

Supernatural: The Complete Second Season will be supported by a national television, print and online media campaign including broadcast and cable television, radio promotions, print ads in entertainment and genre publications and online ads on key websites.

Supernatural: The Complete Second Season DVD Features:
    · Commentary on "In My Time of Dying" by Executive Producer/Director, Kim Manners, Jared Padalecki ("Sam") and Jensen Ackles ("Dean“)
    · Commentary on "All Hell Breaks Loose" part I by Creator/Executive Producer Eric Kripke and Executive Producer/Director Robert Singer.
    · The Devil's Road Map - An in depth look at the Urban Legends which inspired the series creator.
    · Script to Screen: All Hell Breaks Loose part II - Season Finale - following one episode from concept to creation.
    · Gag Reel
    · Unaired scenes
    · Jared Padalecki’s Original Screen Test
    · ROM enabled to link to special website content

Basics:
    Price: $59.98 SRP
    Street Date: September 11, 2007
    Order Due Date: July 17, 2007
    Languages: English
    Subtitles: French, Spanish, Portuguese, Complex Chinese
    Presented in 16X9 Widescreen Format
    Running Time: Feature – 968 min. / Enhanced Content – 116 min.
    DVD Catalog #112623

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    This is mine, but I am disappointed that it's coming so late in the summer. Why can't they get it out in early August? By September it's too late to hope to use the DVD's to build the audience.

Also, why only 2 commentaries? Boo!!

3. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    Really looking forward to this release... is one of my favorite shows! [​IMG]

4. Will_C

Will_C Second Unit

Will
    Great ending to S2! Really looking forward to picking this up and for S3 to start airing. So much for them to still do. Wonder if they'll ever portray demons mentioned in religious scriptures. And will angels or some heavenly agents ever be revealed? We almost saw an angel once, but it ended up being the ghost of a pissed off priest.

5. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

This is one of my favorite shows also. But I was really, really hoping they'd announce an HD version of the show. [​IMG]

I'm sure I'll get the DVDs, but it's still a disappointment.

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

Fox needs look no further than Warner and Supernatural when it comes to the way they treat WKRP. Supernatural uses perhaps more rock from the 60's to early 90's than WKRP itself did, and yet every song made it to season 1's DVD. Be it Bad Moon Rising (which was pivotal for the season one finale's cliffhanger), Carry On Wayward Son, Don't Fear The Reaper, Back In Black and countless other legendary rockers like The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Rush, Ozzy Osbourne, etc... it all made the DVD, and I'm willing to bet the classic rock songs from season 2 will make this set with just as much ease (I only saw a handful of season 2 episodes, so I'm holding off until the DVD). I do remember an episode centered around the Robert Johnson myth this season, as well as songs by people like Foreigner and REO Speedwagon ("Can't Fight This Feeling" was used for comic relief early on in the season when Dean makes fun of it at the bar and then has the song stuck in his head later on in the car) being played.

I just don't see why Supernatural has no problem coming out at a quick pace and without a high price (the $59.99 list is pretty common for WB/CW shows) while The Wonder Years is stuck in music hell limbo, when I bet Supernatural's music is proabbly just as costly.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The difference is how the music rights were negotiated for each show. Supernatural bought the rights for TV airing and home video. While WKRP and The Wonder Years only bought the rights for broadcast (because they could never have forseen the future of home video).

8. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I picked up Season 1 on release date last year, and I'm half-way through the DVD. How does Season 2 fare compared to Season 1? What initially attracted me to this series was the involvement of former Roswell/The X-Files' Executive Producer/Director David Nutter and the show's premise. It also has a great soundtrack, and I hope Buena Vista will follow Warner's lead and clear the music for ABC's "October Road" whenever it comes as this show also used a lot of classic rock songs mixed in with indie music. Luckily so far it hasn't dipped into "Buffy" territory.

I haven't had a chance, but I hope I'll be able to finish watching Season 1, the two Easter eggs on Disc 6, and that Best Buy bonus disc before Season 2 streets in September. The bonus material on S2 sounds great.

9. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

Apparently WB is releasing a 2 pack on Sept. 11 as well. So I'll be waiting for that [​IMG]

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

There was pretty much a mixed reaction to the season. Some thought they became too focused on the arc and should have done more of the urban legend stuff they did the first season. I thought it was a pretty strong season, myself. And, I think it will play well on DVD.

11. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I'm one of those who felt that Season 1 was stronger than season 2. But season 2 did get really good towards the end. And I still thought season 2 was great. I'll buy the DVDs when they come out, but I am a little disappointed that they didn't announce an HD DVD set.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I also thought Season 2 was weaker than Season 1, but will buy the set anyway based on the strength of the first couple of episodes of the season, and the last couple of episodes. It sort of meandered a lot in the middle, though.