What's new

WHV Press Release: Saturday Morning Cartoons Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I was hoping we would hearing something shortly around the 3rd volume of saturday morning cartoons. I remember listening to a radio show that it was in the works along with 1980s. This would be my prediction

1. Jabberjaw
2. Jeannie
3. Skatebirds
4. Partridge Family 2200
5. Shazam
6. Harlem Globe Trotters
7. Josie and the Pussycats in outerspace
8. Devlin
9. Captain Caveman

Anyone have their thoughts around what they would like to see?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Good selection Younger1968-- I would like to include Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids. I love the theme song for that series. Captain Caveman--good, love that character, and that caveman yell that Mel Blanc did.

Also would like to include Korg 70000 BC. A live action series that HB did in about 72-74 that dealt with the live of a caveman. Stupid, but I want kids to know there was a series like this.

Also would like to see the Moby Dick cartoon, but that should have been included in the sixties sets.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Goldie Gold and Action Jack is a surprisingly good series.
I can't imagine it getting a complete set, it's just not well known enough,
but it'd be nice to have an episode on the 80's set.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I would think the 1980s could include
1. The dukes
2. Laverne and Shirley
3. Mork and Mindy
4. Scooby doo/Scrappy doo
5. Fonz and the Gang
6. Richie Rich

By the mid 80s saturday morning cartoons had been replaced with save by the bell, etc.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Goldie Gold and Action Jack is a surprisingly good series.I can't imagine it getting a complete set, it's just not well known enough,
but it'd be nice to have an episode on the 80's set.
=--derosa

I think. (I think) Goldie Gold was produced by the Ruby Spears group, and has since been purchased by Disney, so I don't think it will be on the WB HB cartoon sets.

I remember Goldie Gold and Action Jack as well. The mysteries were on the same level of Scooby Doo, but the brief animated interaction between Goldie and Jack was slightly a bit more "adult" than what was going on between Daphnie and Fred. I was surprised that same of Goldie's swimwear made it through the Saturday Morning censors.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by JamesSmith

I think. (I think) Goldie Gold was produced by the Ruby Spears group, and has since been purchased by Disney, so I don't think it will be on the WB HB cartoon sets.
Yes, it looks like that's correct, according to BCDB it is a Ruby Spears show.
Not much hope of Disney ever releasing it :(

-g

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
There are some very good cartoons from the 1970's but there also are some horrible ones. I feel that as the decade progressed the cartoons became dramatically worst. Admittedly, I like cartoons that are drawn life-like and are done well. The 1980's saw a wonderful new wave of well animated, high quality cartoons with good, intelligent stories (G.I. Joe, Transformers, JEM and the Holograms, The Real Ghostbusters, to name but a few). I don't know if these shows were animated here or in Japan.

Let me add that, if you like the life-like animation and good stories then like me you grieve the trend of the last two decades of horribly animated, inane cartoons that children are subjected to today. I think it shows also. With the exception of Sponge Bob, what is popular? They all want to be clever and vulgar with their adult humor infused into the script. The last 20 years have seen a descend to the level of the toddler. Cartoons are replete with human excretions and secretions. People are passing gas, picking their noses, must I go on.

My favorite overall decade was the 60's. Even then, children or the childish, would have found such crude humor funny, but those who made these shows aimed a little higher.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Cartoons development over the past 40 years has been very interesting. I grew up with 1970s saturday morning and can attest there were some bad cartoon. I do have my favourites like Scooby-Doo, Jeannie, Star Trek, New Adventures of Gilligan, Return to the Planet of the Apes, Jabberjaw, Speed Buggy, ARK II, etc.
The 1980s had a different spin with GI Joe, Transformers, etc. The mid 1980s is about when saturday morning cartoons dies and we introduced to shows like Saved by the Bell and then in the 1990s we got shows like Hangtime, California Dreams, City Guy, USA High.

Overall, i think your taste will really depend when you grew up.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by dhammer

Let me add that, if you like the life-like animation and good stories then like me you grieve the trend of the last two decades of horribly animated...
Like the animation in, say, The Flintstones is good? Fortunately, the quality of the story and acting in The Flintstones manages to overcome the terrible animation.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
WB does actually own the Ruby-Spears library of cartoons. While R-S initially left Hanna-Barbera to start their own animation house with Filmways as their backer, Filmways faced financial trouble a couple years later and was acquired by Orion Pictures, and they in turn sold the studio back to Taft Broadcasting, which owned H-B. (I've always felt bad for them over this - here they are trying to go on their own, and they end up right back where they were trying to escape!) While the two studios ran concurrent for a while, R-S was basically folded and absorbed into the H-B library, and when Taft sold H-B to Turner Broadcasting, all the R-S toons came in the deal. Therefore, it is possible that "GOLDIE GOLD" could pop up.

However, it is not likely that any of the H-B sitcom spinoff cartoons will surface, as the intellectual property rights belong to the studios of origin; "JEANNIE" and "PARTRIDGE FAMILY 2200" are owned by Sony Television, the Fonzie, Laverne & Shirley, and Mork & Mindy cartoons are owned by CBS. "THE DUKES" could show up since that was a WB property anyway.

Remind me, were there any musical numbers in "JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS IN OUTER SPACE"? I recall that there was a lot of expense involved to clear the songs for the original series release on DVD (ditto for the Rhino Handmade "greatest hits" CD), and if there are more songs in this series, WB may have decided it's not worth spending the money to clear them.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck

Taft sold H-B to Turner Broadcasting, all the R-S toons came in the deal. Therefore, it is possible that "GOLDIE GOLD" could pop up.
thanks for the info in your post!
now i've got my fingers crossed...
i've bought all the saturday morning sets,
and i'll buy any that WHV keeps releasing!
-g

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks