What's new

WHV Press Release: Saturday Morning Cartoons Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
I’ve completed the sixties set and (A) it meets or exceeds (mostly meets) my expectations based on the previous set and (B) does not fall short of the previous set in any unexpected way. Personal preference of shows selected, notwithstanding. Everyone’s mileage will vary on THAT but, overall, they did a fine job with it.

There are two areas in which it is significantly improved over its predecessor.

One is in MENU NAVIGATION – that allows you to view the shows as a WHOLE and also as individual cartoons. Volume One, in most cases, returned you to the menu each time a cartoon ended – rather than allow you to watch the complete show without having to work your remote. Thanks to WHV for recognizing that problem!

Two is that it is INTERSTITIAL HEAVEN! So many lost or forgotten little bits of shows turn up here!

The interstitials for BOTH Quick Draw McGraw Shows – where Quick Draw introduces Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy and Snooper and Blabber – were missing… BUT the full credits to each of the three cartoons (with the writing credits for Michael Maltese and other animation credits) were there.

They also have the FULL original Kellogg’s opening and closing, which were trimmed from the shows on Volume One.

“The Bugs Bunny Show” has SOME, but not all, of the interstitials. Still very worthwhile!

“The Porky Pig Show” has many of the same interstitials as did Volume One – but there is one different one of Porky and Daffy (existing footage from a McKimson cartoon) and there is what appears to be one that might have been originally produced for “The Bugs Bunny Show” (of Bugs playing a piano – on the “stage background” for “The Bugs Bunny Show” that sets up “Baton Bunny”!

“The Road Runner Show” has many (about five) Road Runner and Wyle E. Coyote interstitials that bookend all of the commercial breaks. They appear to have been done by Rudy Larriva, who WAS doing the Road Runner theatrical cartoons at the time, and have Bill Lava music as did the contemporary cartoons. Yes, I know how most folks feel about Larriva and Lava vs. Chuck Jones and Carl Stalling (So do I!) but they are interesting “lost” bits – and have value in that alone!

On the minus side, about the last two seconds of “The Wild Chase” is cut off (where “THE END” is spelled out by the final explosion – compare it with your LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION Volume 4. Though I DO believe that’s the way it was shown on “The Road Runner Show” back in the day – and, frankly, I doubt anyone really cares if that one is slightly nicked, if it reflects the Sat AM TV experience.

“Zip and Snort” is very washed-out in places, but the other two cartoons are kinda okay.

Atom Ant, surprisingly, has two interstitials – one for Atom Ant and one for Precious Pupp!

And, best for last, Tom and Jerry has the original sixties opening and closings! The opening is mostly stock clips from the Hanna and Barbera days – with an ending gag produced by the Chuck Jones Unit, which was making the current theatricals. There are also a few Jones Unit interstitials throughout the show! So, here’s your chance to see some lost Jones (or Levittow/Noble) animation!

I recall more than one opening credit sequence… distinctly one that ended with Jerry flying a “rocket-powered cream pie” (!) into Tom’s face with the “Tom and Jerry” logo appearing over that! So, there are more such goodies that can appear in future volumes.

As with many of you, I’d prefer season or series sets of many of these properties – over this format (Quick Draw Mc Graw, The Bugs Bunny Show, The Herculoids, and Peter Potamus above all!).

BUT, in my view, Saturday Morning Cartoons 1960s Volume Two is improved in certain ways (like less double dipping, navigation, and interstitials) over its predecessor – and I look forward to Volume Three!

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I have been enjoying both of these sets -- it's great to have so much of the Saturday morning Warner Bros. experience here -- Bugs Bunny/Road Runner was a weekly ritual and it's great to see it in that format again, and so much long-unseen interstitial material. I got a great kick out of seeing the cartoons with their short Saturday morning TV title cards -- thought those were more or less "lost forever."

Everyone has their favorites -- for me, the absolute highlight is the Banana Splits Adventure Hour, which is actually presented in its one-hour Saturday morning NBC format. This show (episode 1) looks like it's sourced right from the one-inch video master -- it's not perfect, it's clearly unrestored and it's a later repeat version (with a couple missing skits at the top of the show replaced with footage from other episodes) and it's a re-edited Season 1 show with Season 2 titles, credits, bumpers and sponsor billboards. But you know what? That's OK with me -- I mean the show actually has TWO (count 'em) Kellogg's sponsor billboards intact...I picked up the so-called "Complete Season 1" from the UK which is actually just the cut half-hour syndicated shows -- even though they are in much cleaner condition, this is a zillion times better (this was my favorite show as a kid, so please bear with me). I would love for Warner Archive to put the rest of them out as a set -- maybe it's more feasible that way given the condition of the masters.

What else can I say beyond what others have mentioned...Quick Draw McGraw Kellogg's titles in color...Atom Ant with interstitials..completely restored Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show...these sets are really just "samplers," but they've dug up some bits and pieces I never thought would see the light of day again.

If there's a volume 3, I'd love to see some Huckleberry Hound beyond what was included in the "Volume 1" set -- which so far is the sole HH release. There's a rumor the Kellogg's opening might exist in color. Would love to see it and would love to see more of the interstitials...

Like some others have said, it is a little frustrating just to get one or two shows of a series -- Hanna-Barbera season sets seem to have been phased out, but maybe we might eventually see more through Warner Archive -- I would love that.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Mark Y

If there's a volume 3, I'd love to see some Huckleberry Hound beyond what was included in the "Volume 1" set -- which so far is the sole HH release. There's a rumor the Kellogg's opening might exist in color. Would love to see it and would love to see more of the interstitials...

Like some others have said, it is a little frustrating just to get one or two shows of a series -- Hanna-Barbera season sets seem to have been phased out, but maybe we might eventually see more through Warner Archive -- I would love that.
Great post, Mark!

No one… Trust me… NO ONE wants to see more Huckleberry Hound than I do. HH was for me what The Banana Splits seems to be for you. Boards are littered with my pleas. However, HH was never a Sat AM series – playing it’s original run in late afternoon early evening weekday times slots, in major markets.

BUT, if an afternoon syndicated series like Wally Gator could make its way into Volume Two (…and NOT AT ALL am I complaining about THAT!), maybe anything could happen!

Either way, if “full-bodied” Hanna-Barbera sets are no longer in the cards at WHV (…who, let’s face it, have cheapened and diminished their animated product of late – and seem more interested in doling-out bite-size scraps of already-released Scooby-Doo and Tom and Jerry material, than unearthing more of their unreleased treasures), I’ll take more of these “Sat AM Catch-All” sets… and hope Warner Archive endures long enough to offer the animation sets many of us crave!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Would have liked to see more of The Impossibles on this set, but otherwise, the line-up looks good, and I am looking forward to getting into Vol. 2.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Joe Tor1 wrote:
No one… Trust me… NO ONE wants to see more Huckleberry Hound than I do. HH was for me what The Banana Splits seems to be for you. Boards are littered with my pleas. However, HH was never a Sat AM series – playing it’s original run in late afternoon early evening weekday times slots, in major markets.

You and I have something in common because I consider myself to be the world's biggest Huckleberry Hound fan. For a wedding present, a friend made my wife and I a stained glass Huckleberry Hound picture. It is fantastic! Anyway, I am going to get these sets at Christmas (are you listening, Santa?).

Don't forget that on November 17th Warner Archives is releasing on DVD "Yogi's First Christmas." This is a must for H-B fans.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I'd love top see Jeannie but it is not under Warner's ownership. It's under Sony, like the live action show. Still they might work up a deal.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
yeah, i agree about the ownership of Jeannie, However, what is interesting that Scooby-doo Laff-lympics volume #1 is being released and Babu's character is attached to this released. So, there is a chance this can happen.

I am more concern about not getting full release on cartoons. I would really like to add to my collection the complete series for New Adventures of Gilligan/Jabberjaw/Captain Caveman/Speed Buggy/Herculoids/Goober and the Ghost Chasers/Partridge Family 2200AD/Jeannie/Banana Splt/Skatebirds/funky phantom, etc.

The volumes are fine, because you never please everyone, because people have different tastes. I for one like the 1970s and late 1960s cartoon with more emphasis on sci-fi/mystery solving cartoons. I was not a big fan bugs bunny/etc. However, i do respect people that do like those cartoons.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see the seventies Addams Family animated series, along with the sixties Fantastic Four. Again ownership issues.

James

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth

You and I have something in common because I consider myself to be the world's biggest Huckleberry Hound fan. For a wedding present, a friend made my wife and I a stained glass Huckleberry Hound picture. It is fantastic! Anyway, I am going to get these sets at Christmas (are you listening, Santa?).
Well, Greg… I think that tops me! I just watched the show from its earliest days (and MY earliest days), have all the comics, do frequent Blog posts on Huck, and pick up the odd collectable here and there. Never considered stained glass wedding presents, though! Heartfelt congrats!

But, hopefully, there’s room for two of us – and enough more to move WHV into releasing more of our favorite classic animated show.

Oh, how I want “Piccadilly Dilly”, “Cop and Saucer”, “Huck’s Hack”, “Spud Dud”, “Cluck and Dagger”, and my favorite Yogi “Rah-Rah Bear!” …Even though Yogi beats my New York Giants!
Even with no Huck, you’ll enjoy the sets. Especially 1960s Volume Two.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I can't wait. I have never met another Huckleberry Hound fan like me. It is great to know that I am in good company. I noticed our blue dog is on the back of the DVD case. I want to see all of Huck's cartoons on DVD as well. I keep hoping.

You sound like your #1 hobby is the same as mine. Huck collecting is my number one thing.

Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

Well, Greg… I think that tops me! I just watched the show from its earliest days (and MY earliest days), have all the comics, do frequent Blog posts on Huck, and pick up the odd collectable here and there. Never considered stained glass wedding presents, though! Heartfelt congrats!

But, hopefully, there’s room for two of us – and enough more to move WHV into releasing more of our favorite classic animated show.

Oh, how I want “Piccadilly Dilly”, “Cop and Saucer”, “Huck’s Hack”, “Spud Dud”, “Cluck and Dagger”, and my favorite Yogi “Rah-Rah Bear!” …Even though Yogi beats my New York Giants!
Even with no Huck, you’ll enjoy the sets. Especially 1960s Volume Two.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth ">[/url]

I can't wait. I have never met another Huckleberry Hound fan like me. It is great to know that I am in good company. I noticed our blue dog is on the back of the DVD case. I want to see all of Huck's cartoons on DVD as well. I keep hoping.

You sound like your #1 hobby is the same as mine. Huck collecting is my number one thing.

[/QUOTE]I bet Huck showed up on the back of the case (1970s Vol. 2) because of his appearance in [i]Yogi's Gang[/i]. By the way, Warner did release a single-disc compilation called [i]Cartoon Crack-Ups[/i] (before any of the Hanna-Barbera season sets were released) which includes "Spud Dud." It wouldn't surprise me at all, assuming this series gets as far as a third volume, to see [i]Huckleberry Hound [/i]represented. It seems like a no-brainer, given that they never got past the first season. Of course, there are two other ways they could go with it -- assuming [i]Huckleberry Hound [/i]does not have the same music licensing issues as [i]Quick Draw McGraw -- Huck [/i]could end up as a Warner Archive project, or maybe as a UK release like [i]The Banana Splits[/i]. Vintage Hanna-Barbera does seem to have retained more popularity in Europe than in its country of origin.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [b]younger1968[/b] [url=/forum/thread/290047/whv-press-release-saturday-morning-cartoons-volume-2/90#post_3622826]

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Regarding the ownership of various shows, or even parts of shows which eventually got split between more than one company...it can be a confusing thing at best. Back in 1977, there was a syndicated show called Fred Flintstone And Friends, which was originally distributed by Columbia Pictures Television (formerly Screen Gems). It contained segments of the following shows:

Pebbles And Bamm-Bamm
The Flintstone Comedy Hour
Yogi's Gang
(including Yogi's Ark Lark)
Goober And The Ghost Chasers
Jeannie
The Partridge Family 2020 AD

Screen Gems/Columbia had distributed most of Hanna-Barbera's shows before they got bought out by Taft and at that time, The Flintstones, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw and The Jetsons were all still part of that deal. Jeannie and Partridge Family both featured characters based on Screen Gems TV sitcoms. Goober And The Ghost Chasers seems like the odd one out, although the Partridge Family kids did appear in a couple episodes. So do you see a common thread? Yet today, all but the last two shows listed above are part of the "main" Hanna-Barbera library held by Warner Bros.

Same thing for The New Adventures Of Gilligan, which was produced by Filmation. I realize a lot of Filmation shows used licensed characters owned by other studios, and in the majority of the cases, ownership ended up reverting to whoever owned the characters. (Like Star Trek/Paramount, Batman/DC Comics, etc.) Still, they had another one of those "everything but the kitchen sink" syndicated repackage shows -- The Groovie Goolies And Friends -- which included:

Groovie Goolies
My Favorite Martians
The New Adventures Of Gilligan
The Secret Lives Of Waldo Kitty
Uncle Croc's Block
(animated segments only: M*U*S*H, Wacky & Packy, Fraidy Cat)

..did I forget any? Anyway, Groovie Goolies got a DVD release through BCI (when they had a license on the Filmation library) but meanwhile, Sabrina The Teenage Witch (which at various times was combined with either Groovie Goolies or the Archie shows during its Saturday morning network run) ended up with Genius Entertainment along with the rest of the Archie shows -- and those episodes include a lot of appearances by the Groovie Goolies.

Like I said, it can be confusing...

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
When Yogi's Gang originally aired on ABC TV on Saturday mornings, it was distributed by Screen Gems. The Screen Gems logo appeared right after the H-B logo of the end credits. I think it was the same thing with the Flintstones characters and their shows in the early 1970's as well, but don't quote me on that.

I think there is still hope for a second Huckleberry Hound DVD set. In particular, if this CG animated/live action Yogi Bear movie shows up on the big screen, WHV will probably release everything related to Yogi on DVD, and I am hoping that would include more of The Huckleberry Hound Show.

Originally Posted by Mark Y

Regarding the ownership of various shows, or even parts of shows which eventually got split between more than one company...it can be a confusing thing at best. Back in 1977, there was a syndicated show called Fred Flintstone And Friends, which was originally distributed by Columbia Pictures Television (formerly Screen Gems). It contained segments of the following shows:

Pebbles And Bamm-Bamm
The Flintstone Comedy Hour
Yogi's Gang
(including Yogi's Ark Lark)
Goober And The Ghost Chasers
Jeannie
The Partridge Family 2020 AD

Screen Gems/Columbia had distributed most of Hanna-Barbera's shows before they got bought out by Taft and at that time, The Flintstones, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw and The Jetsons were all still part of that deal.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
it is good to see there are people like me out there in cyber space that have a craving for saturday morning cartoons. I just like to see more sets released. I have several of the completed series, but, i have a craving for shows like New Adventues of Gilligan, Speed Buggy, Jabberjaw and several other ones. I just purchased space ghos and dino boy. I like sci-fi cartoons that is why i hope they released the herculoids.

I also believe there was Yogi Bear's space race as well. i did see that Scooby-doo Laff lmpics volume #1 is coming out in January. I am going to purchase this volume. I just order my Rocket Robin Hood volume #1.

LizH

Second Unit
Originally Posted by younger1968 [/I] (1973–1975, CBS) [/list]
Originally Posted by Michael Rogers

I'd love top see Jeannie but it is not under Warner's ownership. It's under Sony, like the live action show.
Originally Posted by younger1968

yeah, i agree about the ownership of Jeannie
It's more complicated than that.

Sony owns the show, the concept, and the character of Jeannie. WB/HB, OTOH, owns all the other characters (Babu, et al.) that appeared in the series.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have not heard anything. I am sure it will have a decent following, like the previous volumes. However, i do have concerns around wanting to get more of the full series. The volumes are like teasers that have you wanted more. I still like to have the following in my dvd collection:

1. Speed Buggy
2. JabberJaw
3. New Adventures of Gilligan
4. Sealab 2020
5. Goomber and the Ghost Chaser
6. Scooby Doo Laff-A-Lmpics
7. Funky Phantom
8. Partridge Family 2200 AD
9 Captain Caveman
10. Banana Splits Adventure Houre
11. the Skatebirds
12. Batman 1968 (Cartoon)

I have many more like to see released, but, i guess we need to patience. The only tv i watch anymore is on dvd. I hate the tv shows today and refuse to watch them.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
A report on TV Shows on DVD says that it is possible a third volume will be produced for the 1970s SMC, and a first volume for the 1980s. Apparently, the 1960s volumes didn't sell as well as Warner hoped.
Check out the article:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-Bunny-Looney-Tunes-Comedy-Hour-DVD-Plans/12959

Also, has anyone else noticed that in the 1970s Vol. 1, during Goober & the Ghost Chasers, the animators' numbers are clearly visible at the bottom of the screen? You can also see unfinished background art at the bottom edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks