WHV Press Release: Maverick: The Complete First Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    For The First Time on DVD MAVERICK: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON
    Contains all 27 Season One Episodes in a 7-Disc Collector’s Set

Going "All In" on May 29, 2012

BURBANK, CA (February 14, 2012) – You won't want to bluff your way out of watching this unforgettable television series as Warner Home Video brings all 27 episodes of Maverick: The Complete First Season onto DVD for the first time on May 29. Just in time for Father's Day gift giving, this classic and sometimes humorous Western series was nominated for four Emmys and won one during its successful 5-year broadcast run. This seven-disc set includes all 27 one-hour episodes from the first season. Maverick: The Complete First Season is priced to own on DVD at $39.98 SRP.

Wisecracking ladies’ man Bret Maverick (James Garner) and his more serious brother Bart (Jack Kelly) are two handsome bachelors on the loose in the Wild West, traveling with a sense of humor and a knack for getting into trouble. The two have more success at the game of poker than the game of love, yet they keep trying their luck in one frontier outpost after another. Just when card sharks Bret and Bart thought they could slip out of town quietly, they come face to face with a gunman. When it’s time for a showdown, don’t bet against a Maverick!

27 ONE-HOUR EPISODES

1. War of the Silver Kings

15. The Third Rider

2. Point Blank

16. Rage for Vengeance

3. According to Hoyle

17. Rope of Cards

4. Ghost Rider

18. Diamond in the Rough

5. The Long Hunt

19. Day of Reckoning

6. Stage West

20. The Savage Hills

7. Relic of Fort Tejon

21. Trail West to Fury

8. Hostage

22. The Burning Sky

9. Stampede

23. The Seventh Hand

10. The Jeweled Gun

24. Plunder of Paradise

11. The Wrecker

25. Black Fire

12. The Quick and the Dead

26. Burial Ground of the Gods

13. The Naked Gallows

27. Seed of Deception

14. Comstock Conspiracy

BASICS

$39.98 SRP / No MAP

Street Date: May 29, 2012

Language: English

Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish

Run Time: Approximately 1350 minutes

DVD Catalog # 1000265832

2. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Second Unit

dan olson
    Wow -- you got me at "Maverick".... What a valentine's day this is (for us horse opera buffs)! Sign me up!

3. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I'll be pre-ordering as soon as Amazon gets it listed. Maybe this bodes well for 77 Sunset Strip.

4. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

Pressed discs and with English subs! I'm in!

5. EdG

EdG Stunt Coordinator

I've been waiting a long time for this one. Deal me in.

6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    WoooooHooooo!!!!!:banana::dance::rock: Pressed disks, full season, reasonable price, WOW! This one'll be pre-ordered just as soon as Amazon puts up the link!

7. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    I do find it interesting they went the pressed-retail route on this. But then it is the highest profile (Thanks to James Gardner) of any of the B&W WB Shows. But what happens after the release all the Garner episodes? Back to the Archive? :)

8. Guest

Garner. Let's just hope they make as far as Season Two for now.

9. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I am de-lighted by this! Maybe my unanswered requests on WAC's facebook page meant something (probably not). In my opinion, this is the best television show Warner ever produced and it deserves a pressed disk release. Even in the post-Garner period, it still delivered some of best episodes including the classic parody of Bonanza featuring the Wheelwright clan with a son named Small Paul. How'd the Wheelwrights come to own so much land? Their Grandpa stole it from the Indians, of course. Hopefully, Warner will try to track down some of the stars for some extra features on later releases. If sales slow down, I wouldn't mind if they went to half season sets to maintain profitability as Paramount has had success with that (although a complete season at $40 is preferable). Way to go WHV! Maybe Paramount can continue two of my favorite comedies, Sgt. Bilko and the Beverly Hillbillies, to make 2012 one of the best DVD years ever. By the way, WHV, perhaps you could also put the Errol Flynn unreleased westerns that you have been restoring on pressed DVD (Santa Fe Trail and Silver River), maybe on a TCM set. Thanks again.

10. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    Wow, amazing news! It took them over a decade, but Maverick is finally coming! And not split seasons either. I wonder if they'll digitally remaster the episodes or just release what was run on Encore Westerns.

11. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    erf, typos :)

12. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Wow!!!!!! At last !!!! This has been my *most requested* TV Western series since the DVD format premiered!!! This will be pre-ordered the second its up on Amazon! With all the star firepower of James Garner (first three seasons), Roger Moore (fourth season), and the very capable and popular Jack Kelly (all five seasons); it's always been a complete mystery to me as to why this show has not been available. And let me tell you: Those James Garner eps really hold up! And almost all of the episodes featuring both James Garner and Jack Kelly were four star classics of western TV!! Did I mention that I can't wait??!!!

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

14. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I don't know too much about Cheyenne, but what really appealed to me about Maverick was its difference from westerns like Bonanza and Gunsmoke. Bonanza and Gunsmoke tend to be too serious for my blood. If its The Searchers, I like serious themes, if its a weekly tv show where the themes are explored in a much more ordinary manner, I get bored. Maverick was full of humor and a spirit of adventure that set it appart from its contemporaries. That, to me, made it so entertaining.

15. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Second Unit

dan olson
    Sounds like no extras, which isn't a deal breaker... but. Opportunity is there -- and its fleeting. Hopefully they'll work on that and have something for season 2 BECAUSE I'D PAY $6-8 MORE OK $10 MORE IF IT HAS EXTRAS LIKE GARNER, MOORE INTERVIEWS/PROFILES ETC. Of course, i'm still ecstatic over the release...

16. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    I can honestly say that there are very few extras that have been included in DVD sets that I have purchased that were all that impressive. I am just glad to have this show's first season complete in one set. I am sooo hoping that sales will justify continuing the series. Since The New Maverick was released a couple of years ago, I hope that after the final season of Maverick is released, perhaps we can get a full series release of both Young Maverick and Bret Maverick!!!! Yeah, I know ---- I'm dreaming.....

17. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Those would be Archive titles more likely than pressed

18. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Second Unit

dan olson
    Too bad that the announced news of extras proved wrong. Shows of that era are lucky to be released at all, but to have one where 2 of the prominent stars are still alive and kicking are rare. As usual, I appreciate tvshowsondvd.com getting us the true scoop.

19. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    ^This doesn't bother me at all. Pre-order just placed at Amazon for $29.99! :) *Update* And the price dropped a couple of $$ 2 days later! Gotta love Amazon pre-order price guarantee! :D

20. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    This is a most welcome release. I'm not surprised that there are no extras. Jim Garner had a stroke awhile back and didn't look like his normal self when he appeared on Pioneers of Television on PBS last year. I've not read anything recently regarding how he's doing, but more than likely he's retired from acting at this point although he just released an autobiography.