WHV Press Release: Kenneth Branagh's HAMLET (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    “Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. A virtuoso job of directing and acting.” - SISKEL & EBERT [​IMG] WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE’S HAMLET (1996) A KENNETH BRANAGH FILM HIGHLY ANTICIPATED DEBUT ON BLU-RAY DISC AUGUST 17
    [​IMG]
    Burbank, Calif., April 19, 2010 – The critically acclaimed, award-winning and unabridged version of William Shakespeare’s most popular play makes its highly anticipated debut on stunning Blu-ray™ Disc, August 17, 2010. Presented by Warner Home Video, Kenneth Branagh’s Hamlet (1996) is the ambitious, noble and stylized theatrical version of the famous play brought to life like audiences have never seen before. The brilliantly colorful and illuminated film is a groundbreaking cinematic achievement, presented with a collectible book containing director and actor biographies, film trivia and more (SRP $34.99). Adapted and directed by Kenneth Branagh, who also stars in the title role as Prince Hamlet, the film boasts a star-studded ensemble cast featuring OscarÒ winners, Kate Winslet (The Reader, Little Children, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,Titanic), Robin Williams (Good Will Hunting, The Fisher King, Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam), Judi Dench (Notes on a Scandal, Mrs. Henderson Presents, Iris, Chocolat, Shakespeare in Love), and many more. In a filmmaking career that has spanned three decades, there is no greater example of Branagh’s unequaled Shakespearean vision than his film rendition of Hamlet (1996). Nominated for four OscarsÒ, Branagh’s Hamlet represents the first time that the full, uncut Shakespearean text had been recorded on screen. Filmed as an epic, the movie adaptation is recast in a sumptuous 19th century castle – and now the action, the madness, the melancholy, the revenge, the love – are all captured for the first time on gorgeous Blu-ray Disc. The film will also be available for permanent download through online distributors. Hamlet was the last feature film to date shot using a 65mm negative for 70mm projection. Less than 50 English language features were shot this way, including Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, West Side Story, My Fair Lady, and The Sound of Music - all Best Picture Oscar® winners. Branagh wanted his Hamlet to have the same epic quality as those films, and the majestic visual quality he achieved truly reveals Blu-ray's outstanding technical superiority. HAMLET (1996) MARKETING SUPPORT The debut release of Hamlet (1996) on Blu-ray will be timed to take advantage of the heightened interest coinciding with the 2010Shakespeare in the Park summer season, which presents two Shakespeare plays in repertory, giving audiences eight straight weeks of free Shakespeare in New York City’s famed Central Park. Advertisement is planned for the July playbill. ABOUT THE FILM “Hamlet has the kind of power, energy and excitement that movies can truly exploit,” award-winning actor/director Kenneth Branagh says. In this first-ever full-text film of William Shakespeare’s greatest work, the power surges through every scene. The timeless tale of murder, corruption and revenge is reset in an opulent 19th-century world, using sprawling Blenheim Palace as Elsinore and staging much of the action in shimmering mirrored and gold-filled interiors. The energy is electrifying, due to a luminous cast. The excitement of the Bard’s words and an adventurous filmmaking style lift the story from its often shadowy ambience to fully-lit pageantry and rage. Cast: Kenneth Branagh (Hamlet) Kate Winslet (Ophelia) Robin Williams (Oscric) Judi Dench (Hecuba) Billy Crystal (First Gravedigger) Julie Christie (Gertrude) Gerard Depardieu (Reynaldo) Jack Lemmon (Marcellus) Director, Actor and Screenwriter: Kenneth Branagh (Valkyrie, Frankenstein, As You Like It) Special Features:
    1. Commentary with Kenneth Branagh and Russell Jackson
    2. Introduction by Kenneth Branagh
    3. To Be On Camera: A History with Hamlet
    4. 1996 Vintage Cannes Film Festival Promo
    5. Hamlet (1996) Trailer
    HAMLET (1996) BLU-RAY BOOK TRT: 242 minutes Language: English U.S. Street Date: August 17, 2010 Order Date: July 13, 2010 Mat / UPC: 1000122740 / 883929113682 $34.99 SRP Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.
    [​IMG]

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Wow. I feel like I've been waiting for this movie on home video (disc format) for decades.

Oh wait, I have!

I know it's the official press release, but I'm not going to believe it until I have it in my hands!

3. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    Great film. Will buy.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    A must have title for me (and a potential birthday present as release day is close to my birthday).

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Nice.

But a $34.99 MSRP? Ouch.

Although I see amazon has a pre-order price of $23.99. Now that IS nice.

6. MattFini

MattFini Supporting Actor

Great news. I'll be getting this one too.

7. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Put me down for this one. My favourite adaptation of Hamlet, hands down. Julie Christie looks amazing; it's no wonder there are Oedipal themes. ;). I'm just stunned there is no mention of Derek Jacobi as Claudius in the press release. I know he's not a huge marquee name here, but he's worked with Branagh several times, and been excellent every time.

8. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I still have the original movie programme that they gave out at the theaters during it's release. I'm definitely picking this up. On Blu-ray It should look as stunning as I remember it being on the big screen.

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Hm. . .I was going to borrow the DVD of this from the library, but now I might wait. . .

11. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    Barring any mishaps with the transfer, I'll buy this, no question.

12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, I have resisted all of the previous releases because I figured VHS and DVD just couldn't do those vibrant visuals justice. I am very excited by this announcement.

13. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    Blu-Ray.com posted a review of this release and it seems per that critic the image is not very good and could be victim of a poor HD transfer that includes DNR, and just doesn't look pleasing.

I really hope this isn't the case... I felt uneasy bout such a long film on just one 50GB disc itself... but now it is looking like a film I've been waiting for to arrive on BLU is now going to pass me by.

14. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    If that's true, then Warner and crew have just lost a sale; I'll wait until more reviews come in before I decide.

15. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    Yeah I hear you, very curious to see if we get a FEW WORDS with Robert Harris on the title. I really had high hopes for this film.