WHV Press Release: JFK Ultimate Collector's Edition (DVD/Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Intriguing. Provocative. Powerful.

Oliver Stone’s JFK
    ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION
    Three-Disc UCE Features New Documentary
    The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings
    Also Debuting in Blu-ray™ Hi-Def with
    Premium Hardcover Book Packaging
    Available November 11 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif.- July 21, 2008 – The controversial highly-charged story surrounding John F. Kennedy’s assassination is revisited with the November 11 release of Oliver Stone’s JFK as a Three-Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition from Warner Home Video. The UCE will feature The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings, an extraordinary new documentary from filmmaker Robert Kline based on Thomas Maier’s acclaimed book about five generations of the renowned political family. Unique to the documentary is political and private footage of the Kennedys not widely available to the general public. The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings documentary will be premiered on November 10th at Boston College and also screened on November 12th at Fordham University/Lincoln Center. Both universities have the largest Irish studies programs in the country.

The JFK Three-Disc UCE includes the Two-Disc Special Edition Director’s Cut with 17 additional minutes not seen in theaters and the documentary Beyond JFK: A Question of Conspiracy. It also contains memorabilia from the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Kennedy Foundation, including reproductions of Kennedy family and presidential photos, letters written by or to John F. Kennedy from J. Edgar Hoover, Lyndon. B. Johnson and more. The UCE also will include a Kennedy campaign button from the National Archives and Records Administration. Of particular distinction is the inclusion of John F. Kennedy’s historic inaugural address and a handwritten letter to his father, Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr.

In addition, the set features a collectible booklet containing production photos and photo cards showcasing the actors in character with a mini bio of their character. Additionally, the film will be making its Blu-ray™ Hi-Def debut as the JFK Blu-ray™ Hi-Def, featuring premium hardcover book packaging with press material and photographs from the film.

Oliver Stone’s powerful film about the mystery surrounding the Kennedy assassination is one of the most provocative movies of our time. Aside from its box-office success and critical acclaim, it was nominated for eight Academy Awards® (including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Supporting Actor), winning two (Best Cinematography and Film Editing). The film also won a Best Director (Motion Picture) Golden Globe® for Stone. Finally, JFK played a major role in the national debate leading to passage of the 1992 Assassination Materials Disclosure Act.

Stone directed from a screenplay that he wrote with Zachary Sklar. The all-star cast includes Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Bacon, Gary Oldman, Jack Lemmon, Laurie Metcalf, Sissy Spacek, Joe Pesci, John Candy, Walter Matthau, Sally Kirkland, Donald Sutherland and Edward Asner.

The JFK Ultimate Collector’s Edition will sell for $39.98 SRP; the JFK Blu-ray™ Hi-Def for $34.99 SRP and The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings, available separately, for $19.97 SRP.

Blu-ray™ Hi-Def Enhanced Content (in standard definition)
    Behind the Story
    Commentary by Director Oliver Stone
    Beyond JFK: The Question of Conspiracy
    Multimedia Essays
    Assassination Update – The New Documents
    Meet Mr. X: The Personality and Thoughts of Fletcher Prouty
    Deleted/extended scenes with commentary by director Oliver Stone (production audio only)
    Jack Ruby Injected with Cancer
    Jim Garrison and Dean Andrews – Extended
    Jim Garrison and Liz Garrison at Home
    Jim Garrison and Colorado Businessman
    Beverly Oliver Interview – Extended
    Jean Hill Interview – Extended
    Jim Garrison in the Book Depository
    Antoine’s Restaurant – Oswald Information – Extended
    Clay Shaw Trial 1 – Oswald Information – Extended
    Clay Shaw Trial 2 – Oswald Information – Extended
    Fantasy Sequence – Oswald from the Grave
    Alternate Ending
    Theatrical trailer

About The Documentary
    The Kennedys: America's Emerald Kings is an American saga about the Irish Catholic experience. It encompasses five generations of the Kennedys’ and Fitzgeralds' lives -- starting from 1848 in Wexford, Ireland and ending in 21st-century America. The film was adapted from Thomas Maier's highly acclaimed book The Kennedys: America’s Emerald Kings[1] from Basic Books, re-released in July 2008. The documentary provides a look at both the family’s tragedies of poverty and political oppression and their successes and the triumphs of the White House years. It embodies the most complete work on this Irish American family and their unique place in American history and culture.

JFK ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION
    $39.98 SRP

JFK BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF
    $34.99 SRP

Feature Run Time: 155 minutes -- Rated: R
    16x9 Letter Box
    THE KENNEDYS: AMERICA’S EMERALD KINGS
    $19.97 SRP
    Run Time: 128 minutes

Also available
    JFK: Special Edition Director’s Cut
    $26.99 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    So the 3 disc SD version has more stuff in it than the BD? As an historian who researches historical feature films, this film is of particular interest (I don't subscribe to Stone's "vision" of history, but it is influential and I confront it regularly in my classes). For my purposes, the most complete set of extras is more important than the SQ/PQ when it comes to historical feature films, so I guess, if I'm reading this press release correctly, I'll be staying in SD for this one. Disappointing, but not a deal-breaker as I don't watch this film for entertainment any more.

3. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Only the director's cut, no theatrical?

4. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

How many issues of this film do we need?

5. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

6. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

What's wrong with the one I've got? It's the Director's Cut, has excellent picture quality, is anamorphic, and has some extras. So, why would you say "one good one?"

7. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

I think he's dissing the movie in general.

I agree that the current two-disc version is pretty darn good. As far as I can tell, the new one will simply add a third disc to what we have, along with some postcards, a book, etc.

8. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I wasn't, but it was a cheap shot, sorry!

All I'd like is a HD version with branching to offer the theatrical and Director's Cut versions, and all the bonus features from the previous DVD and VHS releases.

Not a lot to ask, is it?