WHV Press Release: JFK 50 Year Commemorative Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-Ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

91S7PXQUNAL._SL1500_.jpg

“Stunning. Powerful, Remarkable.  It holds the audience rapt in its grip.”

David Ansen, Newsweek

“A Masterpiece…One of the 10-Best Films of the 1990s.”

Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun Times

JFK 50 YEAR COMMEMORATIVE
     ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S 
    EDITION

Stunning Set Features Three Documentaries -- Oliver Stone’s JFK: To The Brink; Brand-New JFK Remembered: 50 Years Later, and John F. Kennedy: Years of Lightning, Day of Drums

Includes Feature Drama PT 109, Collectible Premiums, and More

Available November 12 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment

BURBANK, Calif., August 21, 2013 – November 22, 2013 will mark 50 years since the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) will commemorate this tragic chapter in U.S. history by honoring one of our most influential presidents with the release of a new collection featuring the award-winning motion picture, JFK.  Director Oliver Stone’s controversial highly-charged story surrounding the tragedy debuts November 12 as JFK 50th Commemorative Ultimate Collector’s Edition (JFK UCE) on Blu-ray™.

Stone’s film is considered one of the most provocative of our time. In addition to box-office success and critical acclaim, it captured eight Academy Award®[1] nominations (including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Supporting Actor), winning two (Best Cinematography and Film Editing). It also won Stone a Best Director (Motion Picture, 1992) Golden Globe® and ultimately played a major role in the national debate that lead to passage of the 1992 Assassination Materials Disclosure Act.

Stone directed from a screenplay he wrote with Zachary Sklar. The all-star cast includes Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Bacon, Gary Oldman, Sissy Spacek, Jack Lemmon, Joe Pesci, Donald Sutherland, Laurie Metcalf, John Candy, Walter Matthau, Sally Kirkland, and Edward Asner.

The JFK UCE includes the Director’s Cut with 17 additional minutes not seen in theaters and will feature three captivating documentaries – Oliver Stone’s JFK: To the Brink, the insightful look at the JFK presidency that was included in his 2012 Showtime Series, “The Untold History of the United States;” the brand-new JFK Remembered: 50 Years Later from filmmaker Robert Kline; and John F. Kennedy: Years of Lightning, Day of Drums, a documentary produced by George Stevens, Jr., and written and directed by Bruce Herschensohn, who also composed the music. The film was named one of the Ten Best Films of 1965 by the National Board of Review.

In addition, the JFK UCE includes the feature film drama, PT 109, about Kennedy’s World War II experiences as a skipper in the South Pacific. The JFK UCE also contains commemorative items from the Kennedy Presidential Library: collectible reproductions of family and presidential photos, a campaign poster from the 1960 presidential campaign, and a copy of Kennedy’s historic inaugural address. Lastly, there is a 32-page book of famous quotations, and a 44-page JFK movie photo book.

The JFK 50th Commemorative Ultimate Collector’s Edition will sell for $59.99 SRP. The documentaries JFK Remembered: 50 Years Later and John F. Kennedy: Years of Lightning, Day of Drums will also be available on DVD separately, for $5.94 and $11.97 SRP respectively. Untold History of the United States, containing JFK: To the Brink, will make its U.S. Blu-ray debut October 15.

Special Features:

• JFK: To The Brink – Chapter from Oliver Stone’s “Untold History of the United States”
    • New Documentary -- JFK Remembered: 50 Years Later
    • Remastered Documentary – John F. Kennedy: Years of Lightning, Day of Drums
    • Feature film -- PT 109
    • Behind the Story

• Commentary by Director Oliver Stone
      • Beyond JFK: The Question of Conspiracy
    • Multimedia Essays
    • Assassination Update – The New Documents
    • Meet Mr. X: The Personality and Thoughts of Fletcher Prouty
    • Deleted/extended scenes with commentary by director Oliver Stone (production audio only)
    • Theatrical trailer

About The UCE’s Special Features

JFK: To the Brink: This documentary is Chapter 6 from the powerful historical series “Untold History of the United States,” a ten-part Showtime Original Series, debuting on Blu-ray October 15 through WBHE. The in-depth, surprising, and totally riveting series, co-written by Stone with Peter Kuznick and Matt Graham, was directed and narrated by Stone. This one-hour segment sheds valuable additional insight into JFK’s presidency during the Bay of Pigs; on the brink of total war during the Cuban Missile Crisis; through early Vietnam; JFK's attempts at peace with Khrushchev; and finally the President’s assassination

JFK Remembered: 50 Years Later: 50 years after his assassination on November 22, 1963, John F. Kennedy remains as vital and compelling as when he was first elected. This documentary reacquaints us with the first Irish-Catholic president and the youngest in U.S. history, presenting images and personalities frozen in time. From Kennedy's nomination to his election, from his inspiring inaugural address to the Bay of Pigs, from civil rights and racial struggles to space exploration, from the Berlin Wall appearance to his leadership during the Cuban Missile Crisis, Kennedy ranks among the great presidents in the history of the United States.

John F. Kennedy: Years of Lightning, Day of Drums (1965): This documentary tribute to President Kennedy was named one of the Ten Best Films of the Year by the National Board of Review. Produced by George Stevens Jr. for the United States Information Agency (USIA), it was narrated by Gregory Peck, and written and directed by Bruce Herschensohn, who also composed the music. The film chronicles the thousand days of JFK’s presidency, featuring numerous clips from speeches and an intimate look at Kennedy family life. It was not originally intended for the general public; however, the quality was considered so outstanding that a special act of Congress allowed it to eventually be shown theatrically.

PT 109 (1963): Before Kennedy was president, he was a hero in World War II. Based on the book by Robert J. Donovan, this film stars Academy Award®-winning actor Cliff Robertson (Best Actor in a Leading Role --Charly 1969) as Lieutenant Kennedy. While a young captain of a PT boat in the South Pacific, Kennedy lead his men in a daring rescue of American Marines stranded on a small island inside the area of Japanese control. On another mission, a Japanese destroyer sliced the small boat in half, and miles from the nearest island Kennedy proves himself a hero with his efforts to save his crew.

JFK 50th COMMEMORATIVE ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION (Blu-ray™)

Street Date: November 12, 2013

Order Due Date: October 8, 2013

Pricing: $59.99 SRP

Director’s Cut Run Time: 205 Mins. -- Rated: R

Cat/UPC: 1000414165/ 883929351930

Also Available Individually

JFK Remembered: 50 Years Later (Documentary)

Pricing: $5.94 SRP

Run Time: 120 Mins.

Cat/UPC: 1000411226/ 883929346851

John F. Kennedy: Years of Lightning, Day of Drums (Documentary)

Pricing: $11.97 SRP

Run Time: 85 Mins.

Cat/UPC: 1000435145/ 883929371914

The Untold History of the United States (contains JFK: To the Brink)

Street Date: October 15, 2013

Order Due Date: September 10, 2013

Pricing: $49.99 SRP

Run Time: 801 mins

Catalog #: 1000420438

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Academy Award(s)® and Oscar(s)® are registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Golden Globe(s)® is the registered trademark and service mark of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc.

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution and interactive entertainment businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. An industry leader since its inception, WBHE oversees the global distribution of content through packaged goods (Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD) and digital media in the form of electronic sell-through and video-on-demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels, and is a significant developer and publisher for console and online video game titles worldwide. WBHE distributes its product through third party retail partners and licensees, as well as directly to consumers through WBShop.com and WB Ultra.

About Warner Home Video:
    With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a division of  Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Inc., commands the largest home entertainment distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Video and New Line Cinema.

[1] 1991 (64th) Actor in a Supporting Role – Tommy Lee Jones

Cinematography – Robert Richardson

Directing – Oliver Stone

Film Editing - Joe Hutshing, Pietro Scalia

Music (Original Score) – John Williams

Best Picture - A. Kitman Ho and Oliver Stone, Producers

Sound - Michael Minkler, Gregg Landaker, Tod A. Maitland

Writing (Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published) –

Oliver Stone, Zachary Sklar

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

2. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    One of the best movies ever made, one of my favorites... I'll be getting this, for sure!

3. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Junk history. Feh.

4. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Already have the Bluray Digibook, nothing to see here, move along.

moviebuff75 and ahollis like this.
  5. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    First pressed release of PT 109, previously only available in the Warner Archive. No mention if it will be Blu though. I'm guessing not.

6. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    The photo in the press release specifically states it will be dvd.

7. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    Thanks, John. As I have little interest in the release, I only glanced at the presser.

8. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I'm showing this tonight at my backyard theater. Most of my audience has never seen it. I met Kevin a couple of weeks ago, and one of my friend's brother plays Officer Smith, so excited to see it again!

9. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

Warner always does this and it pisses me off! Including PT-109 in BD would provide incentive to upgrade from the digibook of JFK and the Warner Archive DVD of PT-109. No sale.

10. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Oddly, this appeared for preorder on Amazon...

jfk.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

11. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Hmm, i hadn't heard of this second feature. Is it Oliver Stone paranoia, or a honest to goodness documenatry on suppression of information?

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Untold History of the US was a recent series (on Showtime, I think) by Oliver Stone. I'm kind of amazed at the low price point for these as a double feature (although the mini-series is only 4 episodes - out of 12).

13. Jari K

Jari K Producer

FoxyMulder likes this.
  14. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    One of my top favorite actors.

He is INCREDIBLE in everything he is in.

15. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    There was a time in the 90s, when Oldman played bad guy after bad guy so well that I swore if I saw him walking down the street I would tackle him and call the police.

But the guy is great - I've never seen a performance of his that wasn't great. Glad to hear he appreciates JFK as much as I do.

16. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    That is a great interview. Absolutely agree with him about political correctness, Mel Gibson and double standards.

I am starting to see what people mean when they say Warner keep re-releasing the same titles, i have no problem with that but at the same time i wish they would dig deeper into their large catalog and release much more that we haven't seen before on blu ray.

17. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Well made movie, but seeing it again, it's just a non-stop rant by Oliver Stone using the mouths of different actors and characters throughout to hype his case and bearing no resemblance to reality. Garrison, in reality, was a self-aggrandizing nutball.

Keep your old version of this film and invest your money in the CNN series The Sixties, which did an excellent two-hour documentary on the assassination and a much sober version of the subsequent feeding frenzy of imaginative paranoia.

No one (including me) believed back then that a lone nut job with a gun could do so much damage. Now we see it every day.

18. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I saw a fascinating documentary based on one of the many books out there, i think it was a book from just a few years ago.

It claimed the night before JFK took to the streets the F.B.I. were all up late and partying, the guy who was scheduled to do gun duty on the car behind the President's was off sick and they brought in a rookie who had never handled that type of machine gun before, they claim the rookie heard the shots being fired by Lee Harvey Oswald and that Oswald's shots did hit the guy in front of the President but the rookie FBI guy had problems with the safety and in trying to turn and shoot back at Oswald accidentally fired ahead and shot the President in the head, they showed some pretty convincing historical footage which backed the theory up.

We'll never really know all the facts but i do like a good conspiracy theory.

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Of course you do. Just look at your name. :)

20. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I was going to take the name Benedict Cumberbatch but then i found out an actor had already stolen it. :lol:

TravisR likes this.