WHV Press Release: House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows (DVD)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Mark,
    I'm really looking forward to purchasing the new film. October can't get here fast enough. And thanks to the points you brought up, I am also going to purchase House Of Dark Shadows because it will be an upgrade for me. If it does end up as part of a two-disc set (packaged along with Night Of Dark Shadows) some day, then that's fine with me as well. But I sure would love to see the uncut version. I will be writing a letter as another poster suggested. Hopefully that will make a difference.

2. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

I still feel that we should write to Warner Home Video and ask them to restore the film- perhaps it can be a Warner Archive special release. So in the meantime I guess we will have to buy both titles for now.

3. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    ^^^
    Given what you have written here, I will be doing both.

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

These aren't being released due to demand of fans...if that were the case, they would have released these years ago. The only reason they are showing up is just to capitalize on the Tim Burton film, otherwise these would still be languishing in the vaults.
    So yes I will criticize Warner for not releasing the restored version of NODS.
    Now I just have to hope that Tim Burton does a remake of the Bowery Boys.

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Now thats a scary thought and I haven't thought of that. :D

6. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    That's my feelings as well. Widescreen presentation and digital picture are not enough selling point for me to purchase Night of Dark Shadows. A bad film in digital quality is still a bad film.

7. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    And this is a reason NOT to settle for the travesty that is the theatrical version and illustrates EXACTLY why we the fans and the general public should see the complete uncut version of the film Night of Dark Shadows.

8. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Amen! Count me in there as well.

9. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Sadly, releasing Night of Dark Shadows as a stand alone DVD almost guarantees that it won't sell well and therefore will not be revisited. So, any hope for the restored version are pretty much gone. The film already has a bad reputation and it is already a diffucult enough sell. No amount of sugar coating is going to change that fact. The current plans for Night of Dark Shadows are already set up for failure. The film is just too flawed to generate enough sales for a future better release. Sorry, while I like the film, I have to call it as I see it. The film is bad. While it's all speculation on my part I'll bet it's going to play out exactly like I've said. If I'm wong, then I'll be the first to admit it.

10. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    I think the best thing to do is to definitely buy "House" and make a point to skip "Night". If "House" generates strong sales numbers and "Night" scores pitifully, the proper message may be sent to Warner.

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I agree with that to a point. If House does much better than Night, they might not care enough to release a restored version of Night but they'll at least know the reason for the weaker sales.

12. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I agree but at this point I'm so irked that I really couldn't care less about House of Dark Shadows. Personally I feel that House is the weaker (story wise) of the two films.

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Wow! Those are really unattractive covers.

15. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

I like the covers, but am disappointed the original MGM poster art wasn't used for either disc.

16. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    Just got in and thought I would see if there were any more posts.
    Fans could follow what I am going to do. I myself intend to buy the movies in HD I have also decided that a letter cannot hurt the release of Night. I also have given some thought to where a letter could do the most good. I will not explain why I chose the following. I just chose a wide range that people could pick from.
    TV Guide, Entertainment Weekly, Fangoria, Dread Central, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Lou Lumenick in the Daily News, and the LA Times and NY Times sections...
    I hope this suggestion unites all DS fans. I would love to get this movie as it was suppose to be. I will buy Night as it is. I have stated my reasons over and over on the movie threads and here.
    I am big fan of Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn will be out in blu-ray the first week of August. Fox gave us two releases already out. Yes I will have to double dip. The one I really wanted was Somethings Got To Give which Fox restored and placed on dvd. Fox did one heck of job on that film. Marilyn had died during production and Fox piece by piece put it all together. I watch it every year. I bring this up for this reason. The names I suggested are names I can write to on the Marilyn double dip. The other is I love Somethings Got to Give even if it is not a finished product. I feel the same about Night. I will buy it and watch it and love it. I watch both DS movies once per year back to back. I have even audio recordings of both films from CBS Late Night.
    Jonathan stated to Dick Cavett in August of 1970 the following. "House of Dark Shadows just falls short of a great horror picture" It is a very good one" "I have become a goody two shoes in the series but not the movie" Our producer Dan Curtis goes for broke and there is one sledge hammer scene after another" stated Mr Frid.
    Fans do not miss out on the chance of these two movies. I have no idea why WHV made their choice. The reason means nothing to me. The result is what counts. I want it all. I would buy a second release in heart beat and intend to say that. Release the longer Night MOD or however WHV wants to do it.
    Well I have said enough on this topic.
    I love the new covers. I just hope all of you fans do not let this spoil the fun for you all at Tarrytown this year!

17. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    http://www.warnerbros.com/help/customer-service.html The contact to WB. I emailed them.
    Who is the contact for WB here at the forum?
    Adam perhaps you can help us get the word to WB about Night Of Dark Shadows?

18. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

This was Curtis' original vision for Barnabas Collins when he was introduced into the series. ABC's demand that he be kept on as well as the writers and producer refined Curts' vision into what Dark Shadows should look like. In one of the interviews on the MPI series discs, Robert Costello talked about how Curtis wanted killing after killing on the show after Barnabas was introduced and Costello had to remind Curtis that you couldn't go around killing off your regulars or you wouldn't have a show. Curtis had complete creative control on HODS so it was his vision alone that counted. Frid was right about the
    sledgehammer approach that Curtis used. You have to think that was another reason for Frid to skip the movie.
    I also don't back down when I express my disappointment over the lack of extras. I understand that 40 hours of extras is ridiculous. If MPI can give you some interviews with their series discs, I don't understand why Warner can't give you a littlebit of supplemental material.

19. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

i remember seeing the movie and hated the idea that barnabas was killed in the end.