WHV Press Release: Harry Potter Ultimate Editions (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

show details 5:01 PM (9 minutes ago)

[​IMG]
    For Immediate Release

See Harry Potter as Never Before!
    HARRY POTTER ULTIMATE EDITIONS
    on BLU-RAY & DVD DECEMBER 8

The Sorcerer’s Stone & The Chamber of Secrets
    Contain First Two Parts of Series’ Comprehensive New Documentary…

“Creating The World of Harry Potter”
    48-page Photo Book Included along with Five Hours of Special Features; New Screen Tests and Intimate Cast & Filmmaker Stories about the Creation of Harry Potter’s World On Screen.

Burbank, Calif. September 17 , 2009 – Warner Home Video is creating a whole new way for muggles, wizards and Harry Potter fans to see the world’s # 1 film franchise.

Beginning December 8, the studio will release on Blu-ray and DVD the first two of eight Harry Potter Ultimate Editions. Each of the Ultimate Editions will include a new one-hour featurette that highlights a unique aspect of the filmmaking process and will be combined to make the complete 8-hour documentary, Creating the World of Harry Potter. Ultimate Editions include five hours of special features (one hour of which is the new featurette); theatrical and extended versions of the film; 48-page collectible photo book and other magical collectibles.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Ultimate Edition will have Creating the World of Harry Potter, Part 1: The Magic Begins, in which viewers get an inside, in-depth look at the planning, creativity, personalities and other elements that went into the initial creation of Harry’s screen world. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets contains Creating the World of Harry Potter, Part 2: Characters. Here fans get a first-hand look at the unique strengths of each of the films’ directors and what they brought to the principal characters in the Harry Potter film series. In addition, it will include clips of never-before-seen screen tests of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson, giving fans a chance to see how the characters have been transformed over the past decade.

With newly produced featurettes, both extended cut and theatrical versions included, premium packaging and themed collectibles, plus a Digital Copy of the theatrical film, the Harry Potter Ultimate Editions are bound to be irresistible gifts for this holiday season. They will sell for $49.99 SRP on Blu-ray and $39.92 SRP on DVD.

The Blu-ray editions include all the DVD contents PLUS the In-Movie Experience with director Chris Columbus - an interactive viewer experience where the entire film is examined with Picture in Picture, Storyboard Comparisons, Still Galleries, as well as BD live with access to worldwide events, special guest participants, community features and more.

The five Harry Potter films comprise the biggest film franchise in history, totaling a worldwide box-office gross, to date, in excess of $4.4 billion. In theatres now, the sixth and latest installment, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, insures that “Pottermania” continues unabated.

Day and date with the December 8 release of the new above-mentioned series will be the Blu-ray and DVD release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. The entire ensemble cast is back for the sixth installment of the record-breaking franchise.

The Blu-ray disc of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will feature Warner Bros. Maximum Movie Mode, an interactive viewing experience that examines the entire film with such features as Focus Points, Picture-in-Picture, photo galleries and more. Maximum Movie Mode includes commentary from director David Yates, producers David Heyman and David Barron, as well as cast members Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson and Tom Felton. The disc also includes Warner Bros. BD-Live™, which allows users with web-enabled Blu-ray players to access exciting additional content and connect and share with other BD-Live users. Another feature of the BD-Live interactivity is Facebook Connect, which allows users to interact with their friends from Facebook, update their Facebook status while in BD-Live and invite their Facebook friends to a Live Community Screening. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be available as a Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray disc, standard disc, Digital Copy) for $35.99, 2-disc special edition DVD for $34.99 and on single disc DVD for $28.98.

Complete List of Special Features by Title
    Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone: Ultimate Edition

Welcome to the first Harry Potter Ultimate Edition! For the First Time Ever …
    Uncover the intimate details of the search to cast Harry Potter and his friends • See Daniel, Rupert and Emma’s never-before-seen audition tapes • Be there with stars and filmmakers walking onto the set for the exciting first day of shooting • Learn about Chris Columbus’ critical, step-by-step decisions behind the creation of Harry Potter’s world on screen • Look back on an amazing decade’s worth of movies with Daniel, Rupert and Emma in new and vintage interviews never seen before. Plus: Exclusive Introduction by Daniel Radcliffe.

DISC 1: Theatrical Version

DISC 2: Extended Version with 7 Minutes of Footage Not Shown in Theatres.

DISC 3:
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Diagon Alley
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Tour the Gryffindor Common Room, Harry’s Room and the Great Hall - Welcome to the self-guided tour of Hogwarts, home of witches and wizards in training, and take in the sights.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Classrooms:
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Defense Against the Dark Arts; Spells and Charms; Potions; Transfiguration; Third Floor Corridor; Deleted Scenes.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Sorting Hat
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Library
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Gallery of Art & Architecture
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Hogwarts Yearbook
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Guide to Ghosts - Discover the many marvelous and mysterious ghosts of Hogwarts.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Hogwarts Grounds
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Quaffle and Bludger - Get a lesson from Oliver Wood on how to play Quidditch.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Tour Hagrid's Hut - Welcome to the self-guided tour of Hagrid’s Hut, home of Rubeus Hagrid, the Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts, and his faithful companion, Fang.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Extra Credit
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Interview - Capturing the Stone: A Conversation with the Filmmakers - Director Chris Columbus, Producer David Heyman, Screenwriter Steve Kloves and Production Designer Stuart Craig talk about casting and bringing the novel to life.

DISC 4:
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Introduction by Daniel Radcliffe - An introduction to the many special features for the Harry Potter films [NEW]
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Creating the World of Harry Potter, Part 1: The Magic Begins - Discover the story of how one vision for the Harry Potter films came together out of limitless possibilities to create the visual world we have come to know and love. [NEW]
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]A Glimpse Into the World of Harry Potter 2001 International TV Special
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Deleted Scenes
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Trailers and TV Spots

Disc 5
    Digital Copy of Theatrical Film

Blu-ray Ultimate Edition
    Includes everything listed above as well as the following Blu-ray exclusives:
    · In-Movie Experience with Director Chris Columbus: An interactive viewer experience where the entire film is examined; includes PiP, Storyboard Comparisons, Still Galleries
    · WB Maximum Movie Mode picture-in-picture programming, cast walk-ons, focus points, graphics and more.
    · BD Live with access to worldwide events, special guest participants, community features and more.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Ultimate Edition

Welcome to the second Harry Potter Ultimate Edition! A Whole New Realm of Discovery…
    Discover the intriguing inside stories of why so many of Britain’s most celebrated stars took roles in the series • See the newly unveiled screen test between Daniel Radcliffe and Evanna Lynch (selected to play Luna out of 15,000 hopefuls!) • Go on the set to see firsthand how each of the directors brought unique strengths to the series • Witness the amazing transformations as Daniel, Rupert and Emma grow with their characters over a decade of unprecedented filmmaking. Plus: Never-Before-Seen Screen Tests of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson

DVD Special Features

DISC 1: Theatrical Version

DISC 2: Extended Version with 13 Minutes of Footage Not Shown in Theatres.

DISC 3:
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Deleted Scenes
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Lockhart’s Classroom
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Photo Gallery
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Certificates - Have a look at Gilderoy Lockhart’s many achievements.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Required Reading - Find out what text books you’ll need for Lockhart’s Defense Against the Dark Arts class.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Extra Credit
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Behind Hogwarts
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]A Conversation with J.K. Rowling and Steve Kloves - The author and screenwriter detail how the books are brought to life, and the changes that happen in the process.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Dumbledore’s Office
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Build a Scene - Building a scene as magnificent as Professor Dumbledore’s office takes more than wood, plaster, nails and paint. It takes imagination.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Tour Dumbledore's Office - Welcome to the self-guided tour of Professor Dumbledore’s office, one of the most fascinating rooms at Hogwarts.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Interviews with Students, Professors and More
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Students - What would you ask the cast, if you could? Put yourself in the interview chair as the stars answer questions about making the film.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Professors and More - Enjoy personal moments with the professors and others as they discuss their characters: Prof. Gilderoy Lockhart, Lucius Malfoy, Prof. Pomona Sprout, Molly Weasley, Arthur Weasley, Prof. Albus Dumbledore, Rubeus Hagrid, Prof. Severus Snape, Uncle Vernon Dursley, Aunt Petunia Dursley, Argus Filch, Prof. Minerva McGonagall.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Gallery of Production Sketches
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Activities
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]The Chamber Challenge [Game]
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Tour the Chamber of Secrets - What are you doing here? This place isn’t safe. Begin your journey down the dark corridor for the self-guided tour of the Chamber of Secrets.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]The Forbidden Forest Challenge [Game]
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Colin’s Darkroom
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Tour Diagon Alley - Welcome to the self-guided tour of Diagon Alley, where you can find all your supplies for the school year. Explore the many shops, such as Flourish & Blotts and the Magical Menagerie.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Spellcaster Knowledge Challenge [Game]
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]EA Game Preview

DISC 4:
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Creating the World of Harry Potter, Part 2: Characters - Explore how the cast and creative team of directors and designers take the characters’ descriptions on the page to the actors’ performances on film. [NEW]
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Screen Tests of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson [NEW]
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Revealed - 2002 HBO First Look special
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]Trailers and TV Spots

Disc 5
    Digital Copy of Theatrical Film

Blu-ray Ultimate Edition
    Includes everything listed above as well as the following Blu-ray exclusives:
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]In-Movie Experience with Director Chris Columbus: An interactive viewer experience where the entire film is examined; includes PiP, Storyboard Comparisons, Still Galleries
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]WB Maximum Movie Mode picture-in-picture programming, cast walk-ons, focus points, graphics and more.
    [FONT= 'Times New Roman']• [/FONT]BD Live with access to worldwide events, special guest participants, community features and more.

Harry Potter Ultimate Editions
    Year One: Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone
    Year Two: Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets
    Street Date: December 8, 2009
    $49.99 SRP Blu-ray
    $39.92 SRP DVD

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well they certainly know how to tempt me to spend more money on this franchise

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'll probably wait and see if they do a series set once the seventh/eighth movies come out. Of course in the time that I plan on waiting, I'll probably see these on sale and pick them up.

4. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Very, very nice. And I'm grateful they gave my wallet a break by not having all 5 previously issued films all coming out together on the same date.

I am very excited about these releases.

5. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

"Premium packaging" (read: it won't fit on the shelf). Hmm. Need more details on the box before decide whether to pick these up or the standard versions (to go with my standard Azkaban, the only one in the series I have so far).

6. Cory S.

Cory S. Supporting Actor

For the blu ray versions, it sounds as if the theatrical cut with get the "In-Movie Experience" while the extended cut will get "WB's Maximum Movie mode". I just don't see the the logic in having essentially two PiP features for the theatrical cut....

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie Stunt Coordinator

Looks great. I just wish they had included the "Philosopher's Stone" changes as a seamless branching option on "Sorcerer's Stone".

9. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    When the first Harry Potter film was released on DVD, I made of point of ordering the Canadian version, because I wanted to get the "Philosopher's Stone" version. Ordering from Canada made the most sense, since it is in the same DVD region as the U.S. and would contain English-language menus. In fact, the DVD turned out to be virtually identical to its U.S. counterpart, except for the Sorcerer/Philosopher switch and the inclusion of a French-language alternate audio track instead of a Spanish-language one. I was quite pleased with the Canadian release.

I figured I'd do the same for this "Ultimate Edition" Blu-ray release, but I couldn't find a listing for it on Amazon Canada. I checked Amazon UK, and couldn't find it there, either. After searching Google as well, it was beginning to look like the Ultimate Edition would be exclusive to the U.S., which means that there would be no "Philosopher's Stone" version of the extended cut (which, for me, is the chief draw of this release).

Eventually, I came across a this listing on CD Japan. Its image appears to be the same promotional image from the flyer posted above, though it's too small to see whether or not it actually says "Philosopher's Stone." The content listing is kind of sparse, but it appears to more-or-less match that of the U.S. release. It explicitly lists Japanese audio and subititle tracks, so I assume that this is not just the U.S. version being released via a Japanese seller.

I decided to pre-order it in spite of the uncertainty. Between being a Japanese import and a limited edition, I imagine it'll be hard to come by later, so I didn't want to pass up my chance, just in case this does turn out to be the only way to get the extended cut of the Philosopher's Stone version.

In case anyone else is interested in this Japanese release, I can vouch for CD Japan. I've ordered many DVDs and CDs from them, and always received great service. Also, the U.S. and Japan are in the same Blu-ray region (unlike DVD), so there shouldn't be a compatibility problem there. There might be a language issue with the menus. but it's more of an annoyance than a serious problem. I have a few DVDs whose menus are in Japanese and have always been able to figure them out after a modest amount of trial & error.

10. AppleSpider

AppleSpider Agent

You know it would be cheaper to buy it from Amazon . com Japan...
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%8F%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%83%9D%E3%83%83%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%81%A8%E8%B3%A2%E8%80%85%E3%81%AE%E7%9F%B3-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%A1%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AF%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%E3%83%BB%E3%82%A8%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3-Blu-ray-%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%83%90%E3%82%B9/dp/B002NXSV8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1254358474&sr=1-1

Nothing against CDJapan, I've used them many times, but for mainstream blu-rays, Amazon Japan is just as good
    and cheaper. However, blowing up the image, it does says Sorcerer's stone, but that may be just because they'll all
    using the same promotional image.

11. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Thanks for the tip about Amazon Japan. Their site used to be a lot harder to use for a non-Japanese-speaker, and I always forget about them when I'm looking to buy a Japanese CD or DVD.

As you point out, Amazon's has a larger, clearer image of the release than does CD Japan, and indeed, it clearly says "Sorcerer's Stone." Regardless of what the package says, I hope the disc actually includes the "Philosopher's Stone" version of the movie.

12. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Second Unit

I'd be amazed if the Ultimate Editions weren't released in the UK at the very least. More likely is that they'll be released worldwide and that non-US editions simply haven't been announced yet.

13. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Now you just new that a double dip of Harry Potter would happen sooner or later. Heck I just did not think it would happen this soon! Well it looks like the entire Harry Potter box set is being re-released with the 6th film in it. And it looks like the movies will eventually end up being re-released separately as well. It appears that the first two films will be released separately on 12-8-2009 and will include a DTS-HD Master 6.1 Audio track, not the Dolby True HD track that was used in the first box set. Now what I am wondering if the new box set will use the Dolby True HD track or the new DTS-HD Master Audio track that seems to be used on the first two films being released separately? Now many of you here know what my stance has been on the entire Dolby vs DTS debate, heck does my avitar tell you anything. [/url]

14. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I've been waiting for Extended Versions, and I for one am VERY glad they're coming out. I would have preferred not to double dip on the Blu, but I'd rather that than to not get the Extended Cuts. Just my two cents.

15. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

I might be tempted to buy these releases if it helps convince Warner to use DTS MA exclusively. If I had lossless capability it probably wouldn't matter as much to me; however, right now I'm stuck listening to the lossy tracks. Of those, I prefer listening to full bit rate DTS tracks, because to me they just sound better than DD. For example, I found the CONTACT DD soundtrack to be weak sounding on the BD. I had to crank it by at least 10Db from my normal setting to get any impact at all and it still sounded like it lacked good low end.

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Originally Posted by Dave Moritz

17. Carlo Medina

Quick question about the Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone difference for those who have seen both:

Is this just a cover/title page change or is the reference to the actual item in the movie also different (i.e. when characters talk about it they refer to it as the "Philosopher's Stone" and not the "Sorcerer's Stone")? If so, how did they do that, by just using a different dub for the word in the non-US versions? Is the change fairly seamless?

I ask as one who purchased all of the UK books because I prefer the original language (not just Philosopher/Sorcerer difference but JK Rowling's original prose vs. what was released in the U.S.). If the actual references to the Philosopher's Stone remains intact, I may hold off on repurchasing the first movie until I can find perhaps a region free foreign copy. But if it's just a difference in the BD cover and opening credit, but the dialogue in the movie is completely unchanged, I'll just buy the US version.

Thanks!

18. AppleSpider

AppleSpider Agent

I personally haven't seen both versions, only the US version, but according to this page....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher%27s_Stone_%28film%29
    under the header "Filming", this is written....

Owing to the film's title difference in America and the United Kingdom, all scenes that mention the stone had to be filmed twice, once with the actors saying "philosopher's" and the second with them saying "sorcerer's"

19. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I own the Canadian DVD of the first film and can confirm that the stone is referred to as the "Philosopher's Stone" within the film itself. As Steve said, all the scenes in which the stone is mentioned were filmed twice, so the change is completely seamless, with no detectable dubbing or anything like that.

20. Carlo Medina

Well that's good and bad news. So unfortunately I'm going to have to hold off on re-purchasing the first one.

I do wonder if there is any discernible differences between the takes (other than the word difference), like line delivery, character expressions, etc.