WHV Press Release: Gone With The Wind 75th Anniversary UCE (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 3, 2014.

1. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    Regardless of the backlash, I would agree that a 3D version of GWTW would NOT be a reason to buy it. 3D, except in a few cases, is (has) gone the way of the dodo. Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd much rather the studios use whatever resources they'd use on upconverting an old film to 3D, to restore/release other catalog titles.

2. Jari K

Jari K Producer

This is very good news for me, since I don't have this on BD. For some reason I skipped the earlier box set.

3. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I just showed the previous disc at my backyard theater this weekend and it looked spectacular. Again, the sound (dialogue) was very low. I wish it were a little bit louder. But we did watch it outdoors. I wish the cropped shots could be restored.....someday.

Will Krupp likes this.
  4. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I agree. That would be more of an incentive for people to buy it again.

Escapay likes this.
  5. calvinm

calvinm Stunt Coordinator

Calvin
    The BFI screened a "new restoration" in November, so I'd be disappointed if this new release didn't feature it if that is indeed the case. Then again, Warner have previous form on that front with The Wizard of Oz.

6. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    I swore that the last GWTW box would be the last "big box of stuff" that I would ever buy and there's nothing here that would make me break that vow. I love this movie like nobody's business but there's no earthly reason for me to upgrade this time around.

Matt Hough and WilliamMcK like this.
  7. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

I'll take's Will's wager and double it.

There's no earthly or UNEARTHLY reason for me to spend more money on this. I have the earlier Blu-ray release. It's a lovely box of stuff and a lovely Blu-ray. Why would I want to buy it again?

I'm enjoying whoever called this the "P.T. Barnum Edition".

Will Krupp likes this.
  8. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I didn't see GWTW at the BFI last November, but I did attend the screening at the TCM Film Festival in April at the TCL Chinese along with my friend Mark (a member here at the HTF and a massive GWTW fan), and he said it looked to him as if it was the same restoration from the previous Blu-ray.

9. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I see no reason to upgrade. I'm happy with the last release.

Will Krupp likes this.
  10. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Damn, I actually have the 70th AV set! It's Casablanca that's missing from my collection...

11. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    It would be nice if that restoration would be featured on the new BLU unless it is something that worked better theatrically as opposed to home video disc. I know some say certain digital restorations are great for disc but some wouldn't be up to the same standards for a theatrical presentation.WB did the same thing with A Clockwork Orange there was a new restoration screened but the most recent Digibook didn't feature it just the old transfer. Which gives WB another reason for another BLU release for that title. If they would issue that restoration I would buy it for sure.

12. moviebuff75

Eric Scott Richard
    I think they are holding their new restorations back for 4k...just a hunch. Clockwork, The Exorcist, Blazing Saddles are just some titles that have new masters that weren't used for their most recent releases.

13. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Truth be told, the reputation of this film has diminished in recent years, so yet another "anniversary" release seems rather pointless.

However if they included the aforementioned complete individual screentests, and/or the rare, behind-the-scenes home movie footage discovered (some of which can be seen on an old Today Show clip with Katie Couric on you-tube) then that would be something special, but I will pass on this as well.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    How do you quantify that?

15. moviebuff75

Eric Scott Richard
    Its reputation hasn't diminished. In a poll a couple of years ago, conducted by People Magazine and broadcast on ABC, it was voted America's favorite film. My backyard was packed with people this weekend...and they aren't film buffs. They just love the film. Every time I go to a revival house and it is shown, it is a sell-out. It has a huge fan base also, rivaled only by The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, and The Lord of the Rings. GWTW is not in danger of losing its massive classic status any time soon.

16. Mark Mayes

Mark Mayes Stunt Coordinator

Mark Mayes
    Exactly!?! This film still sells out in L.A., fills theatres and special events anywhere it's screened and the recent TCM screening at the Chinese was packed. It still sells tons of merchandising. So somebody's still giving it word of mouth.
    It's never been a "Sight and Sound" film. Never a film scholar's darling. It incites more discussion and opinion, though, than "Citizen Kane" or "Casablanca" or more benignly lovable classics due to its political views and setting.
    But its popularity with the people is still immense. The book that was released in November on Vivien Leigh is in second printing and the BFI tribute to her a smashing success. It's last theatrical release did better than "The Godfather"'s restoration and subsequent theatrical release. So I'm curious in what respect its rep has diminished. WB apparently hasn't started thinking so and stopped pushing new editions in our faces.

P.S. The digital transfer at the Chinese seems to be the same they have been showing since 2009. It is unlikely the BFI showed a different master. If anything needs to be done to the transfer at all, it might be to take out the jaundiced look to the skin tones.

Will Krupp likes this.
  17. darkrock17

darkrock17 Supporting Actor

Andrew McClure
    GWTW is always in the top 10-20 when comes to film polls and is the 2nd greatest romance film of all time, next to Casablanca. I don't know where Richard got the idea that Gone has a tranished reputation.

18. darkrock17

darkrock17 Supporting Actor

Andrew McClure
    SHOCKING NEWS: 77 years later we find out that Scarlett herself wrote the classic novel, Margaret Mitchell must of been the pseudonym she use to write it.

19. moviepas

moviepas Second Unit

p.s. Too bad they are not including a restored Raintree County as an extra.Raintree County is being released on DVD in Australia June 5 at a PAL running time of 160mins. No mention of any Blu Ray etc.

20. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    That "Raintree County" is most definitely un-authorized (there's no way Warners would ever farm a title like this out to another label - let alone a budget label like Compass). Back to GWTW - there's no way I'll jump again, unless some really epic new unseen outtakes just happen to be magically rediscovered.