WHV Press Release: Fringe: The Complete First Season (DVD/Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 28, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    EXPLORE THE UNKOWN, UNEXPECTED
    AND UNBELIEVABLE AS WARNER HOME VIDEO RELEASES
    FRINGE: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON
    ON DVD AND BLU-RAY™ HI DEF SEPTEMBER 8, 2009

Smash Hit Garners More Than 10 Million Viewers Per Week

Loaded with Over Six Hours of Exclusive Bonus Features and an Extra Hour of Blu-ray Content and BD-Live Features

BURBANK, CA (May 28, 2009) – Teleportation. Mind control. Invisibility. Astral projection. Mutation. Reanimation. Phenomena that exist on the Fringe of science unleash their strange powers in this thrilling, critically-acclaimed series, as Warner Home Video releases Fringe: The Complete First Season on DVD and Blu-ray™ Hi Def on September 8, 2009 for $59.98/ $79.98.

Featuring a collectible lenticular slipcase, and packed with nearly 6 hours of special features, including featurettes, production diaries, producer and writer commentaries, deleted scenes, gag reel, Blu-Ray exclusive content and much more, this is one release that fans definitely won’t want to miss this fall. The release is timed to the premiere of Season 2 on FOX.

From J.J. Abrams (Lost), Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (the team behind Star Trek, Mission: Impossible III and Alias) and executive producers Jeff Pinkner and Bryan Burk (both of Lost and Alias), Fringe revolves around three unlikely colleagues – a beautiful, young and determined FBI agent (Anna Torv), a brilliant but off-the-wall scientist (John Noble), and his sardonic, roguish son (Joshua Jackson) – who team up to investigate a series of peculiar deaths and disasters known as “The Pattern.” The trio suspects that someone is using the world as a laboratory. And many of the clues lead them to Massive Dynamic, a shadowy global corporation that may be more powerful than any nation. Season 1 also starred Lance Reddick, Kirk Acevedo, Blair Brown, Jasika Nicole and Mark Valley. Fringe is from Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Fringe has been showered with critical accolades, named as one of the 10 Best TV Shows of 2008 by Entertainment Weekly, and was nominated for a 2009 Writers Guild Award for Best New Series. In addition, the show has achieved ratings success, averaging more than 10 million viewers a week and ranking as the top new show among Adults 18–49 in its first season.*

“Fringe: The Complete First Season features 20 episodes of the most exciting new show on television, including over six hours of never-before-seen bonus features and collectible lenticular packaging,” said Rosemary Markson, WHV Vice President, TV and Special Interest Marketing. “Warner Home Video is ecstatic to release this much-anticipated science-fiction hit on DVD and Blu-Ray.”

DVD Special Features Include:
    · Evolution: The Genesis of Fringe featurette - The creators of the show discuss how the series unfolded and the qualities that make it so unique
    · Behind the Real Science of Fringe featurette - From teleportation to re-animation, Fringe incorporates recent discoveries in science. Consulting experts and scientists who are the authorities in their field address the areas of science which are the inspiration for the show.
    · A Massive Undertaking: The Making of Fringe (on select episodes) - An in-depth exploration of how select episodes came to be made: from the frozen far reaches of shooting the pilot in Toronto, to the weekly challenges of bringing episodes to air
    · The Casting of Fringe- The story, as told by producers and cast, of how Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson, John Noble and others came to be cast in the series.
    · Fringe Visual Effects featurette - Goes deep into the creation of the shared dream state with some of the biggest VFX shots of the show.
    · Dissected Files: Unaired Scenes
    · Unusual Side Effects: Gag Reel
    · Deciphering the Scene
    · Roberto Orci Production Diary
    · Gene the Cow montage
    · Three Full-Length Commentaries from writers/producers, including J.J. Abrams, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtman, J.R. Orci, David Goodman, Bryan Burk, Akiva Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner

Additional Blu-Ray Bonus Features:
    · Fringe Pattern Analysis - Take a closer look at 6 select scenes from Season 1 with experts who dissect each scene with notes, photos, and diagrams.
    · BD-Live enabled features include Media Center, My Commentary, and commentary on Season 1 finale episode.

*Nielsen, 2009 season-to-date thru 05/17/09, broadcast prime, L+SD US AA%

2. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Best new show, hands down. I am extremely happy that it will bow on Blu-Ray - very cool!

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, I'm all over this. I just wish it was coming out a little earlier so I had more time to re-watch before season 2.

4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I'm hoping retail is closer to the DVD MSRP, becuase otherwise, my wife is going to kill me. One of only a handful of shows I watch these days.

5. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

Amazon has it for $55.99, below the DVD MSRP. [​IMG]

6. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Awesome! Now where are those Chuck: S2 and Terminator TSCC: S2 Blu-rays you promised, Warner?

7. Southpaw

Southpaw Supporting Actor

Huge JJ fan. Loved Star Trek, Alias and MI:3 and Lost is my favorite TV show ever. I was really excited for Fringe but for some reason, I couldn't get into it after watching the first 2 eps. I don't know what it was. So I stopped watching it as other shows took over what little time I had for them.
    So does it get better as the season progresses? With a BD release, I might have to give it a 2nd chance with at least renting it.

8. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial

It's hard to explain further without major spoilers, but let's just say that it turns into more than a "case of the week" type show, and becomes something *awesome.*

9. Stephen_J_H

Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    An oversimplification, but not much of a stretch, is describing it as Alias meets X-Files. The drama is episodic in nature, yet connective elements exist in each episode. As with any good TV show, what really makes the material transcend the inherent silliness of a supernatural premise is the chemistry of the cast and the excellent writing. Give it a chance to weave its hypnotic spell and you'll be hooked.

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I never recommend blind buys but I whole heartedly recommend renting it and giving it a second chance.

11. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I also really like the show. Being that it's a WHV release, we can only hope they use lossless audio and not DD5.1. Fingers crossed.

12. FrankT

FrankT Stunt Coordinator

I felt pretty much the same as you did after the first few shows but I did watch the whole season. It did get marginally better but not much. I would not miss it if it was canceled.

13. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

They already said every title would be given a lossless track and they've already began doing that, so I wouldn't be worried.

14. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Not quite. What they said was, "Every catalog title would have a lossless track". They are still doing an occasional movie and TV show on Blu with a DD track.

15. Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman Second Unit

16. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Figures. They just don't seem to care about TV shows.

17. sestamuch

sestamuch Stunt Coordinator

Hmm... unfortunately.

18. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

I'm not convinced that it's a problem on the DVD end, as opposed to a problem on the TV end (that is, that the Dolby Digital track mixed for the hi-def broadcast is all they have available).

19. Stephen_J_H

Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I think you're right, Andrew, although films prepped for lossy exhibition (DD, DTS, SDDS) still get lossless tracks.

20. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

As I understand it, though, theatrical sound systems aren't 5.1/6.1/7.1; movies therefore require a remix for the discs anyways.