WHV Press Release: Doctor Zhivago 45th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

"At once generous yet austere, huge but never out of human scale, gently unfolded yet full of power, it is a work of serious genuine art." --Richard Schickel, LIFE DOCTOR ZHIVAGO
    45TH ANNIVERSARY EDITIONS DEBUT MAY 4 ON BLU-RAYTM & DVD Warner Home Video Celebrates David Lean’s Historic Epic Anniversary Editions Feature New Bonus Content and Exclusive to the Blu-ray Book a CD Soundtrack Sampler
    http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/thumbs/a/a7/a.gif/1000x600px-LL-a.gif">[/url]
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=15px] [/SIZE] [SIZE=15px]Burbank, Calif., January 11, 2010 – On May 4, Warner Home Video (WHV) debuts another magnificent state-of-the-art restoration on Blu-ray disc, this one to mark the 45th anniversary of Doctor Zhivago -- David Lean’s romantic epic film, adapted from Boris Pasternak’s Pulitzer Prize novel, which captured ten Academy Award® nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director, and five wins. Released with brand new bonus content, there will be two versions -- a premium Blu-ray Book ($35.99 SRP) and a 45th Anniversary Edition ($24.98 SRP). [/SIZE] [SIZE=15px] [/SIZE] [SIZE=15px]“We’re very excited about this meticulous new restoration from Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging and, in particular, how incredible Doctor Zhivago will look on Blu-ray,” said George Feltenstein, WHV’s Senior Vice President, Theatrical Catalog Marketing. “The qualities that have kept the film so vital and popular all these years – the sweeping love story, the gorgeous vistas and unforgettable imagery -- are all dramatically enhanced through the unprecedented technical capabilities of Blu-ray. The result is not only breathtakingly beautiful to look at but also provides a magnificent aural experience with Zhivago’s highly-lauded sound mix presented with unprecedented clarity and dimension.”[/SIZE] [SIZE=15px] [/SIZE] [SIZE=15px]Both versions boast a new documentary on the enduring legacy of the film while the Blu-ray Book will contain 44 pages of insightful essays, cast photos, historical film facts and a CD with eight selections from the Oscar®-winning soundtrack that featured “Lara’s Theme” -- one of the best-selling soundtrack recordings of all time. [/SIZE] [/url]
    [/SIZE]

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Cannot wait to own this! One of my all-time favorites!

3. zackscott5

zackscott5 Stunt Coordinator

Yay this year is going to be great for classic movies on Blu-Ray!!!

4. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    This film seems to be getting a new 4K restoration by BFI!

I wonder how it will compare to the current Bluray (IF it will be released on Bluray)

http://variety.com/2015/film/global/bfi-to-release-newly-restored-4k-doctor-zhivago-1201567387/

edit: Maybe I misunderstood and BFI didn't do the new restoration, but will release the 5 year old 4K restoration by Warner?

But on the other hand, how a 5 year old restoration can be advertised as "new"?

atfree and SAhmed like this.
  5. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Second Unit

NICK
    Doctor Zhivago needs a new transfer. The Warner disc used the same digital files it had for its DVD release and suffered from intermittent bouts of severe edge enhancement, also some minor hints of color fading, but only in a few scenes, and some unexceptionally rendered film grain that looked clumpy in spots. The edge enhancement is the real transgressor. Just look at the sequence where Zhivago, having just helped his mentor, Boris Kurtz save Lara's mother from poisoning/suicide, wanders through her darkened shop, coming to discover Lara weeping alone, but soon to be...uh....comforted by her lover, Komerovsky, in an adjacent room. Everything has disturbing halos and fringes around it; the overhead lamps, desks, sewing machines etc and et al. Warner's philosophy, at least when Zhivago was released to Blu- was to put their older transfers into some snazzy packaging and quietly hope everyone would look the other way.

Think of what they did to Branagh's Hamlet or the various reissues of JFK - neither sporting new and badly needed 4K resolution transfers to compliment. Since the Warner minting of Doctor Zhivago was region free I cannot imagine the BFI would simply port over that same flawed transfer and call it 'newly restored' in 4K because I do not believe the old Warner transfer was done in 4K, but rather 2K. And BFI is known for some truly outstanding work. Alas, it's also known for locking its discs in Region B encoding. So, the likelihood this new 4K minting will find its way to a Warner reissue in an unlocked Region A offering is very slim indeed. We'll have to wait and see if Warner gets the go ahead to share in the restoration on this side of the Atlantic. I'd like to think so, but wishing doesn't make it so. Wait and see - a terrible philosophy to ascribe to, especially since we've all waited for so long for a quality release of this immortal classic. This one needs a Lawrence of Arabia styled clean up and fix. If Sony were calling the shots it would have had one by now! We also would have had a hi-def release of Ryan's Daughter - the only David Lean epic still MIA and under Warner's banner. The odds, alas, are not good.

davidmatychuk and FoxyMulder like this.
  6. Konstantinos

Konstantinos
    i didn't mean if it will be released on a Warner Bluray, but on a BFI Bluray in Europe.

Sorry, I'm not American, so I'm not thinking of Blurays in USA only territories but generally.

But, unfortunately as it seems this must be the same 4K restoration that Warner did.
    (meaning they used the Warner restoration)

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=265750

By the way, the current Bluray is from a 4K restoration:

https://www.editorsguild.com/FromtheGuild.cfm?FromTheGuildid=159

if that is the case, that variety article is surely misleading, passing a 5 year old restoration for "new".

Dr Griffin likes this.
  7. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    I found this paragraph from the above linked article very interesting.

"We did about 97 inserts and that was varying degrees," Price adds. "We used camera negative and inserts for us could be a tear that went across five perfs and had to be either hand-painted or worked around. But we kept as much of the original as possible and then reinserted that piece. Or if there was a bad dupe that was made in the late '60s, we went back to the separation masters, scanned them and recombined them digitally––and then inserted that piece. We didn't touch the camera negative; we inserted the pieces into our data. In the past, the separations were very difficult to work with for this particular show because they were quite dense. But they did not prove a problem in the digital realm."

And there have been even more improvements since this was done 6 or so years ago.

8. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    Judging by it's treatment on DVD and BluRay in the last fifteen years or so, and the surprisingly brief notices it received in Omar Sharif's obituaries, compared with his supporting role in LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, I think the younger generations don't realize what a massive hit DOCTOR ZHIVAGO was. It and the 1967 re-release of GWTW kept MGM alive throughout the late sixties and early seventies and the two films were regarded as dual "crown jewels" to be re-released again and again during those difficult years.

As LAWRENCE's reputation grew larger thanks to Robert Harris' restoration and Sony's ensuing treatment of it as their "crown jewel", DOCTOR ZHIVAGO'S reputation strangely diminished. I can't help but think that if Warner had treated this film the way Sony regarded LAWRENCE, then Omar Sharif's notices would have listed this as HIS greatest film, which it really was.

Douglas R and SAhmed like this.
  9. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

I've always found it pretty ponderous myself. Lovely to look at but banal, and reviews weren't all that kind to it back then. Sure, restore it, but it's one for the overrated movies thread elsewhere.

trajan likes this.
  10. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    The current transfer doesn't suffer from minor color fading - it's much more than minor - it's really brown.

11. Konstantinos

Konstantinos
  12. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Branagh's Hamlet actually needs an 8K scan, having been shot on 65mm. The current Blu-ray is a travesty, as it's harvested from a reduction element and therefore is on par with the current release of 2001. We know Warner can do great work with the right elements; they should do right by this one.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

SAhmed likes this.
  13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I'm unaware of any new restorative efforts.

RAH