What's new

WHV Press Release: Dial M For Murder (3D Blu-ray) and Strangers On A Train (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
MattH. said:
The trade-off with DLPs is, of course, replacing the lamp. When I had a lamp-based JVC DLP, the lamps would burn out at the most inconvenient times (and watching a great deal of TV for reviewing and for fun, I had more frequent than most burn-outs). I always kept a back-up, and it was nice getting a "brand new" TV every time a lamp was replaced, but that got old. I replaced that with a Samsung DLP that used LCD lights instead of a lamp, and I loved that TV, its lighter black levels being its only weakness.
I have a plasma now and admit it's the best TV picture I've ever had in my home, very warm and rich color and wonderful 3D with the active glasses.
My first HDTV was a Mitsubishi DLP. In addition to lamp burnout, another problem was dust on the mirror. So, every 6 months or so, I would remove the front screen to clean the interior. There was a small mirror which reflected the image upward from the lamp to a large mirror that reflected onto the screen. The large mirror never got dirty; but the small one did, as it was pointing upward. For me, cleaning that mirror produced more of a "brand new TV" effect than replacing the lamp. I was fortunate to find a detailed illustrated guide to the cleaning process on AVS.
The first time I did the cleaning, I'd had the TV for a couple of years. The difference was amazing. I could usually tell the mirror was starting to get dirty by watching golf tournaments. A shot of a clear sky with the ball in flight would always reveal splotches that signified that the dust was starting to build up. I wonder if the newer DLP sets are prone to dust buildup. Do they still use the same mirror system? I decided I did not want to revisit the lamp/cleaning issues when I bought an LCD/LED earlier this year. I gave the DLP to some relatives.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I LOVE my 60" DLP set for 3D, it's a great image and haven't had anything at looked like ghosting going on in the titles I've viewed. If you have the room for a 73" set, I recommend it. I've had mine nearly 2 years now and haven't needed to replace the bulb so far.
For some reason I've always disliked something about the look of plasma screens, and you can't get more size for your money than with DLP - that said, you also have to not mind that you can't hang it on the wall!
David, would you happen to have a link to that info about cleaning the mirror? I'd probably benefit from that maintenance...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Dick said:
Ron -- I am frustrated in my decision-making process here, as I want a 3-D display in January, but have heard all kinds of conflicting opinions. There appears to be no concensus (in terms of 3-D quality) about whether active is better than passive, or about whether plasma is better than LCD or DLP. The local Best Buy is little help here -- the displays they have for their four 3-D monitors (2 active, 2 passive) do not work properly, and the personnel simply haven't been trained well enough in the technology to answer all my many questions. Plus, the stores are just about daylight bright, so one can get no good demo of color and contrast, and -- a decent black level, which is a major concern of mine, having lived with a Sony 42" LCD for almost four years with very poor black levels).
But there are certain people I trust, and most of them are on this forum. You have a plasma. May I inquire as to why you consider that the best choice over DLP? Mitsu has some nice very large-screen DLP sets right now at incredible low prices that are bundled with a player and glasses. I have always thought Mitsu was pretty reliable. Any opinion there?
Now that Circuit City and Tweeter are gone, there just isn't anyone here in Maine aside from the increasingly unreliable Best Buy who has displays on display that can allow me a reasonable comparison of systems. So, I have to go by reviews, and the ones outside of this forum are pretty shallow.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any tidbits you might offer...
Best Buy employees are the worst. There mostly high school kids making not much than the minimum wage. They have no incentitive to know anything about TV technology as they make the same amount of money whether they sell you a set or not. When I worked for P.C. Richard and Son, we had to be knowledgeable as we were on commission. You better know what you are talking about or you won't be making a lot of money.
I would avoid Mitsubushi DLP sets but, that's just my opinion. For 3D they will have the least amount of crosstalk and you can get a very large screen for very little money. But the picture is not as bright as Plasma or LCD. In a bright room the picture is hard to see. We had more problems with DLP's. In all the time I worked at PC Richard, I never sold one DLP.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
RolandL said:
I would avoid Mitsubushi DLP sets but, that's just my opinion. For 3D they will have the least amount of crosstalk and you can get a very large screen for very little money. But the picture is not as bright as Plasma or LCD. In a bright room the picture is hard to see. We had more problems with DLP's. In all the time I worked at PC Richard, I never sold one DLP.
I think some of that is a function of the size. I have a "smaller" one at 60" and I had to turn my brightness down on it.
The larger sizes have similar lamps on a larger screen so I hear they suffer more. If brightness is a concern, then I'd look into the LaserVue line, those are supposed to have AMAZING brightness even in the brighest room, as well as great color reproduction etc due to the replacement of the bulb with a laser light source.

My Dial M for Murder has shipped and is dialing its way to my home in the next day or two. Sorry to say I wont watch the 3D version for the moment, since I dont have a 3D and refuse to wear those silly glasses in my home :D

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Brandon Conway said:
BTW, beware the "music" on the menus. It's horrid.
As we can see from your avatar. :D (Even Grace didn't like it.)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I hate most menu music these days.

No, let me revise that. I hate it all.

But when it's BAD or LOUD, or BOTH, it's infuriating, and I want to start throwing things.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/321724/whv-press-release-dial-m-for-murder-3d-blu-ray-and-strangers-on-a-train-blu-ray/150#post_3983526
I hate most menu music these days.

No, let me revise that. I hate it all.

But when it's BAD or LOUD, or BOTH, it's infuriating, and I want to start throwing things.

Get your arm stretched out...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Moe Dickstein said:
I think some of that is a function of the size. I have a "smaller" one at 60" and I had to turn my brightness down on it.
The larger sizes have similar lamps on a larger screen so I hear they suffer more. If brightness is a concern, then I'd look into the LaserVue line, those are supposed to have AMAZING brightness even in the brighest room, as well as great color reproduction etc due to the replacement of the bulb with a laser light source.
Yeah, I was thinking of the 82 inch or was it 84 inches model we had in the store. These DLP's do get brighter as you walk farther from the set.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Waiting for the holidays and price cuts on both of these titles. Hope to pick them up soon.
I did pick up the Universal Hitchcock set, so I have plenty of Hitchcock to watch at the moment!
Any more user reviews on the 2 titles?
How is Dial M in 2D? I do not have 3D and have no plans to move to it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Osato said:
Waiting for the holidays and price cuts on both of these titles. Hope to pick them up soon.
I did pick up the Universal Hitchcock set, so I have plenty of Hitchcock to watch at the moment!
I must admit that this is my plan, too. If the prices don't fall, the titles go on my Christmas list.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Osato said:
I bought Strangers on a Train, as it was fairly inexpensive. However, I too am waiting for a price drop on Dial M for Murder, as I have no plans to add a 3D setup, either. This title is too pricey currently when it will be 2D-only in my home theater.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Scott Merryfield said:
I bought Strangers on a Train, as it was fairly inexpensive. However, I too am waiting for a price drop on Dial M for Murder, as I have no plans to add a 3D setup, either. This title is too pricey currently when it will be 2D-only in my home theater.
Pretty good transfer for Strangers on A Train?
There's just so much to buy this year. My Christmas list is pretty long.
I did pick up Bond 50 as well. So between the 2 sets that was quite a bit of spending all at once.
I also would like to pick up the 3 Criterion blu ray titles at some point too.

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Movie Tavern showing DMFM this week....am told it will be in 3D too!Can't wait.

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Just returned from seeing DMFM in 3d. Grace Kelly looked stunning in her red dress and shoes .

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Brandon Conway said:
BTW, beware the "music" on the menus. It's horrid.
Beware the 3D transfer as well; it's worse than horrid. Absolute worst crosstalk I've ever seen; unwatchable. And it ain't just my TV neither, as CREATURE and THE HOBBIT look just great, with little-to-no crosstalk. I really hope the WB does better with HOUSE OF WAX, or I'll be severely disappointed.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I know others who have the same problem with this title, when other titles look just fine, and they have different makes of TVs than I do.

"As with all 3-D Blu-rays, the left and right images have 100% separation, so any perceived 3-D ghosting will be a result of the display device and not the source material."

If this is true, why do some Blu-rays have more crosstalk than others, and some have none at all? That makes no sense.

"WB did a superb job on the 3-D transfer."

I guess we'll have to differ on that.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
There are lots of reports of ghosting problems with this particular disc.

Another poster here who's got a ghosting problem with DIAL M:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/322462-anyone-else-with-ghosting-problems-on-cirque-du-soleil-worlds-away/

"The only other disc I have had this issue with (on my Panny 55" plasma) is DIAL M FOR MURDER."

From an Amazon reviewer who had no such ghosting problems with other 3D Blu-ray discs:

""Dial M for Murder" is one of Hitchcock's best. It is by far, Ray Milland's best screen performance. An excellent film. So much for the movie review. The rest of this review is about the 3D blue-ray disc. I've viewed and/or purchased several 3D blue-ray discs since acquiring the needed equipment last spring. It seems that movies that are made specifically for 3D fare much better than movies that are 'converted' from 2D to 3D. "Clash of the Titans" and "John Carter" are not quite as good as "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "Hugo". Even an older black & white film from 1954 that was originally released in 3D, "Creature from the Black Lagoon", looks great in the 3D blue-ray format. So my hopes were high for the 3D blue-ray release of 1955's "Dial M for Murder", which was originally filmed in 3D. Sad to say, I was disappointed. There was noticeable 'ghosting' double images throughout, as though the two lenses were not lined up exactly. I haven't noticed this on any other 3D blue ray discs. This became somewhat annoying after a while."

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1QI8694GDOGUK/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1QI8694GDOGUK

Replies to this Amazon review:
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 6:27:16 PM PDT
MICHAEL STODGHILL says:
Max, thanks for getting back to me so soon(via Marty). Your review is right on the mark as are most of the other's I've read concerning this blu ray 3D release by Warners. Hopfully they'll read some of these reviews before they put out "House of Wax" next year in 3D. It puzzles me sometimes because they can do such an outstanding job with recent Blu ray's of "Ben-Hur" and "Singin in the Rain"(I read your review of that one too). Next year is their 90th Anniversary so they're planning a lot of first time blu-ray releases. If you like James Dean then then you'll be happy to know that Warner's is releasing blu-ray digbooks of "East of Eden", "Rebel Without a Cause", and "Giant" in the Q2(second quarter?) next year. I'm hoping they at least put the four Bogart-Bacall films on blu-ray too. I do know we're getting "Grand Hotel" and "Mrs. Miniver" in January on Blu-ray. Anyway, getting back to "Dial M for Murder", Hitchcock was ordered by Jack Warner to film it in 3D "after" he had signed his Warner Bros. contract. Hitchcock hated the format and lost interest in the film and devoted his energies to "Rear Window" which he was preparing and was released the same year. Putting the two films side by side, it's pretty easy to see which one is considered the classic. Anyway, thanks for the great review. I was going to order "Dial M for Murder" but after reading the negative reviews and now yours I'm glad I didn't. I ordered "Strangers on a Train" instead and should get it this week. It's one of Hitchcock's best films and Robert Walker is outstanding in his last performance. If I get anymore info on "House of Wax" I'll get it to you ASAP. Once again, thanks for all the great reviews. Take care. Mike.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse | Ignore this customer
Do you think this post adds to the discussion?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 4:35:41 PM PDT
Max Fabien says:
Thank you Michael for your kind and encouraging words. It's nice to know my other reviews are read.
Reply to this post

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 8:10:17 AM PDT
Phil Smoot says:
I worked camera on several 3D films in the 1980's, and my experience with the ghosting on Dial M For Murder seems to be the same as yours. I have 24 other 3D HD Blu-rays, and none of them have this issue (except for a shot or two here and there). What type of HDTV are you using, and have you watched this disc on any other 3D HDTV? I'm not yet a believer that the HDTV is the problem, as ghosting is not just a TV monitor thing, but it is a problem in original photography that the camera (as well as art & wardrobe department) have to work to overcome. But, I'm waiting to be proven wrong and I really want for someone who claims "no ghosting on my set" to let me see if that is true (as I don't believe them as yet). My only disagreement with your review is that I actually think the 3D version of Dial M looks slightly better than the 2D as the 3D seems to mask some of the imperfections of the awful Warnercolor process (as in the 2D, some people seem to have electrified blue halos around them, and I notice this much less in the 3D).
Reply to this post

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 8:18:55 AM PDT
Max Fabien says:
Phil, who is blaming the HDTV for the problem? The problem is with the "Dial M for Murder" 3D disc itself.
Reply to this post

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 11:20:32 AM PDT
Roger J. McLeod says:
here is your answer. no ghosting on te disc i got. nor blue halos.
Reply to this post

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 1:45:05 PM PDT
Max Fabien says:
Good for you Roger, glad you don't have a problem with it. But several other comments show the ghosting is a common problem with this disc.
Reply to this post

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 7:07:17 PM PDT
Michael Dobey says:
shock labrynth has much more ghosting. so do other titles.
Reply to this post

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 5:26:50 AM PDT
Max Fabien says:
I haven't seen all 3D blue-ray discs, and I don't know all the titles that are available in that format. But of the 10 or so titles that I've watched, "Dial M" is the only one that has noticeable ghosting.If other 3D discs have ghosting, then those discs are faulty also, it doesn't justify it or make it acceptable,
Reply to this post

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 8:58:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 9:03:15 PM PDT
TedKaz says:
Getting the ghosting too throughout the whole film.. Had some issues with some Disney discs...such as Nightmare Before Christmas.. My HDTV is a front projector .....Panasonic ptae7000....who ever is having this problem post the make and model of your monitors.

Thanks
Reply to this post

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 8:48:28 AM PDT
Max Fabien says:
T., if the ghosting is only on one or two discs, and all the others play fine, then the monitor is not the issue, it's the manufactured disc. For the record, I have a Sharp Aquos 70" 3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks