What's new

WHV Press Release: Dial M For Murder (3D Blu-ray) and Strangers On A Train (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Would be great if there was a stand-alone gadget that non-3D-tv owners could buy and hook up to watch these. Is there such a thing?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
bgart13 said:
Would be great if there was a stand-alone gadget that non-3D-tv owners could buy and hook up to watch these. Is there such a thing?
Nope. You need a 3D TV or projector, a 3D Blu-ray player (including PS3) and 3D glasses.
Or simply pop in the 2D blu-ray and watch it in 2D.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Bob, thank you so much for the information. I loved reading that interview with Hitchcock about working in 3D.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Having communicated with Mr. Price, it seems that he old DVD was field enlarged, which means that 1.85 should be fine.

That is his opinion.

And I believe him.

RAH

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Mr. Price is the gentleman that received the 1.85 documentation that I had sent last September. He's a good man!
Someone had asked for this before. The only known DIAL M poster with the original 3-D snipe can be found on this page. http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/hitchcock-on-3-d
The 22x28 half sheet was part of the Dan Symmes collection.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Ronald Epstein said:
Strangers on a Train now available for preorder.  Still waiting on 
Dial M For Murder to become available.
http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1
Thanks Ron!
Very excited about both of these releases!
I wonder if we will see a brief theatrical run of Dial M For Murder in theaters this Fall. Even a one time 3D theater viewing would be fantastic.
I've pretty much sworn off 3D, but I would go see Dial M For Murder in 3D in theaters. I love the movie!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Furmanek said:
The late Dan Symmes had an original 22x28 half sheet with the 3-D snipe attached. It's pictured in his book "Amazing 3-D." That's the only one that has ever surfaced.
The Warner Bros. owned Golden Age 3-D titles are:
WB
House of Wax
Charge at Feather River
The Moonlighter
The Command
Phantom of the Rue Morgue
Dial M for Murder
The Bounty Hunter
MGM
Arena
Kiss Me Kate
RKO
Second Chance
Devil's Canyon
Louisiana Territory
The French Line
Dangerous Mission
Son of Sinbad
Lumber Jack-Rabbit
Popeye, the Ace of Space
I don't know if it is golden age or not (atlas age?), but does Warner own the short Third Dimensional Murder? They show it on TCM sometimes and it would make a good extra in this or House of Wax.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
Mr. Price is the gentleman that received the 1.85 documentation that I had sent last September. He's a good man!
Someone had asked for this before. The only known DIAL M poster with the original 3-D snipe can be found on this page. http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/hitchcock-on-3-d
The 22x28 half sheet was part of the Dan Symmes collection.
Yes, if you owned a movie theatre, you would receive a pressbook like this one:
f8569d35_dialp.jpeg

If you were showing the movie in 3D you could order movie posters like the ones below and add the 3-D snipe:
c4ca312b_dials.jpeg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I don't know if it is golden age or not (atlas age?), but does Warner own the short Third Dimensional Murder? They show it on TCM sometimes and it would make a good extra in this or House of Wax.
Yes, but I don't believe they have left/right elements, only anaglyph. They also own the two Pete Smith AUDIOSCOPICS shorts.
We can do a very successful extraction from the anaglyph, if needed. We've done it for the two Lippert shorts that we've preserved.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Many theaters had booked the film in 3-D for it's Memorial Day opening. When WB gave them the option of dropping 3-D, they scrambled to add "See it Without Glasses" to the artwork.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
RolandL said:
If you were showing the movie in 3D you could order movie posters like the ones below and add the 3-D snipe:
But where would you usually find them? Would you wander around movie publicity offices going "Here, snipe, here, snipe..."? :)
Bob Furmanek said:
Many theaters had booked the film in 3-D for it's Memorial Day opening. When WB gave them the option of dropping 3-D, they scrambled to add "See it Without Glasses" to the artwork.
Dial M, you mean? Sounds like the projection issues publicly demonized the format pretty quickly.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Dial M, you mean? Sounds like the projection issues publicly demonized the format pretty quickly.
Yes, although it's odd that there was no official statement from the studio. They just sort of let it quietly happen. Maybe Jack Warner didn't want egg on his face?
The only statement I can find came from Minneapolis District Manager Art Anderson on May 27. "DMFM will be released in this territory only in 2-D. This will enable all of the territories to play it. Also, it has demonstrated its boxoffice power as a flat picture."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks