WHV Press Release: Cruising Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    CRUISING DELUXE EDITION
    William Friedkin’s Landmark Film Finally Debuts on DVD September 18 -- Newly Remastered, with Revealing
    New Featurettes and Director Commentary

Burbank, Calif., June 18, 2007 -- Cruising – the murder thriller that is set against the gay S & M subculture of the late ‘70s and prompted widespread community protests when it opened in 1980 – makes its long-awaited DVD debut September 18 as a Deluxe Edition DVD from Warner Home Video (WHV). Acknowledging years of consumer requests, Cruising will receive a limited theatrical release in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco the first week of September, prior to its DVD release at $19.97 SRP.

Directed by Academy Award® winner William Friedkin (The French Connection) from his own screenplay adaptation of Gerald Walker’s novel, the film has as its magnetic centerpiece Academy Award®-winner Al Pacino’s (Scent of a Woman) performance as an undercover cop who infiltrates New York City’s leather bar scene, and whose identity and relationships are hauntingly affected by his assignment. Pacino, no stranger to tough cop roles (Heat, Serpico and Sea of Love), currently can be seen in Warner Bros.’ Oceans 13 and recently received an AFI Lifetime Achievement Award.

Cruising incited New York's gay community like nothing had since the rioting after the 1969 police raid on Greenwich Village’s Stonewall Inn. The incident became a watershed event for the gay civil rights movement.

The clashes during Cruising production centered around objections to the stereotyping of all gays. Friedkin never intended any lifestyle generalizations. “But that world did exist and I tried to portray it objectively without any moral comment,” the director says today. “Those murders happened [in real life], and it was always my intention to make a film, set in that milieu, that would be an unsettling experience and to ask the question when you look at someone, “Do you really know who they are?”

Notes Drew Fitzpatrick of fringeunderground.com, “Maybe now, with gay-themed movies and television shows permeating pop culture with a more or less even balance of characterizations, the time might finally be right for Cruising to wipe away 25 years of bad cultural karma and take its proper place in the oeuvre of one of America's most consistently challenging filmmakers.”

Perhaps so. Audiences were visibly stunned recently -- and gave the film two standing ovations -- at the end of a screening at this year’s Cannes Film Festival where Mr. Friedkin was part of the Directors’ Fortnight program. Traditionally, such reactions are only bestowed on first-time Festival screenings.

Mr. Friedkin has personally supervised the creation of an all new high-definition master and new 5.1 Dolby Digital audio track for the release with new director commentary. Also included are eminent documentarian Laurent Bouzerou’s two new featurettes containing interviews with actors and filmmakers who provide thorough perspective on the incidents surrounding the production. In addition to Friedkin and producer Jerry Weintraub (Oceans 11 series, Diner The Firm), participants include editor Bud Smith (The Exorcist, Flashdance, Ladder 49) , actors Don Scardino (now a top TV director) and James Remar (48 Hours, TV’s Sex in the City) and real-life cops Randy Jurgensen and Sonny Grosso.

Special Features

· Commentary by Director William Friedkin
    · Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
    · 2 New Featurettes: The History of Cruising and Exorcising Cruising
    · Original Theatrical trailer
    · Languages: English & Español
    · Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only).

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

2. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Looks like a winner!

I was at the Cannes screening and the film was indeed very well received by the audience, a much larger and younger audience than I had expected to see at the film. Maybe they all knew that Quentin Tarantino would be there... [​IMG]

3. Bradley Newton

Bradley Newton Stunt Coordinator

AWESOME!
    I can't wait.

4. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

I've heard there was a longer, more explicit pre-release cut- will that be on the DVD?

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'd like to buy this, but I'll wait for reviews to see how censored it is. [​IMG]

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

No. According to Friedkin in an interview he gave at Cannes, all that footage was thrown out.

7. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan

Jeff,

I can tell you from seeing the new HD master that is the basis for the new DVD, at Cannes, this cut is more explicit than any previous version that has been available.

The infamous hardcore inserts are still there, and, in addition, there is even more racy footage from inside the leather bars.

8. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I am in no way Politically Correct. And I do not like censorship in Films. It looks like I should add this to my "To Buy" list.

9. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Am I the only one who's disappointed that Warner didn't licence "The Cruising Gourmet" sketch from SCTV? I'll admit that it would probably be the antithesis of what this release is about, but it would add some historical context.

10. chas speed

chas speed Second Unit

I noticed that the Cruising Gourmet sketch had it's music altered for dvd. I wonder where they had sampled the music from? Notice Pacino is not coming anywhere near this release. Cruising is the one film that Pacino truly regrets. He said Friedkin changed the film in to something else. Karen Allen once commented that Cruising was the last film she agreed to do where she wasn't allowed to read the script.

11. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

the original music was sampled from Eagle's DISCO STRANGLER.

12. norrisMc

norrisMc Stunt Coordinator

Pacino's female co-star Karen Allen (of "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Starman" fame) HATED the film so much she asked for her name to be removed. She took the film off of her resume AND swore she would never do a film without reading the script again! I bet she doesn't turn up in the docs.

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

I can't hear the titke "Crusin" without thinking of that sketch [​IMG] Speaking of the sketch, it's prtty surprising it made it onto tv when you think of it.

I'll grab this in a heartbeat. I always wanted to check it out.

14. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

Pacino isn't mentioned as appearing in the documentary, either. In fact, I've never heard him talk about the film. Maybe this is his "Mommie Dearest".

15. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Dave Thomas said pretty much the same thing in his book on SCTV. He just found the film so repellent that he had to make a comedy sketch out of it. Apparently the sketch even made it into a "best of" special.

16. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

can't wait to buy.

17. Jonathon M

Jonathon M Stunt Coordinator

Jonathon
    has anyone else got their copy yet? my one has some strange anomaly with the disc art - it seems to be scratched off around the outside of the disc, on the top half, just near the outer rim.

anyone else encountering this?