What's new

WHV Popeye 2007 (1 Viewer)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
While I acknowledge the mods' perogative to put threads whereever they please, I must respectfully agree that this continued practice of moving threads about theatrical cartoons into the TV forum makes no sense.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I also believe this should be moved back to Theatrical films. I don't get the lack of respect for these films.

The same happens with Looney Toons and Tom and Jerry and the reasons given before was that most of us discovered these on TV which is not a very good reason and also does not explain why all old movies and series like Charlie Chan, Abbott and Costello, Ma and Pa Kettle, Tarzan, etc. or shorts by the Little Rascals, Three Stooges are not also in TV since most of us 1st discovered all of these on TV as well.

The other reason usually given is that TVSHOWSONDVD.com also lists these on their website and their reason is that these cartoons were reimagined for TV by adding new title credits and show titles such as the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner show but that does not explain why they do not list the above listed series and shorts that were also reimagined for TV or why they do not list the Walt Disney Treasures cartoon sets and why they are not moved to the TV Forum when most of us discovered the Mickey, Donald Goffy cartoons on TV and they were also reimagined for TV in shows like the Mickey Mouse Club and The Wonderful World of Disney.

A little too inconsistent. If its a film and was shown 1st at the theaters then it should be in the Film Forum.

Moderators Please move the thread back.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The Home Theater Forum has always stood in the place of preserving the context and historical representation of all films and elements be it print-wise, aspect ratios, format, etc.

These animated films were brutally hacked and cut up, edited, censored, chopped down to shorter running times, overdubbed and completely disrespected and bastardized through television broadcast.

Many original title credits, soundtracks and opening/closing sequences were lost forever and destroyed as a result of this. Pieces of cinema art that have faded into obscurity and now only exist in writing and faint recollection.

The last thing this forum should want to do is glorify such abusive and neglectful tactics. That's how many of us feel when we see our beloved film wrongly pigeonholed all too often by being passed off as Sat. A.M. television fodder.

The very last thing we ever want to see with our CLASSIC ANIMATED FILM releases, are transfers sourced from TELEVISION PRINTS!

Therefore, I feel that having these threads exist in the TV Forum reflects very poorly and sends out a wrongful message to the studios that so many of us have been fighting and struggling for many years to voice against.

We'd all appreciate it in future, if our animated film releases (Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Popeye, Disney, etc) were posted in the appropriate Film Forum. As that is how we'd like to see them represented on DVD.

If not for the sake of endorsing the Home Theater Forum's formeost message and campaign in defense of maintaining and preserving films on home video in the reflective context that they were originaly imagined, created and released.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After some discussion among the HTF Staff, the decision was made to move this thread back to the Software area.

Crawdaddy

TimJS

Second Unit
Allow me to be the first to post my thanks for this gesture from the HTF mods. It is appreciated.

Tim

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I'm still curious, though--what exactly is the status of Betty Boop? What a stellar thing it would be if WHV could ace that one. Didn't Popeye make his first appearance in a Boop cartoon, anyway?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

WB only has the Superman and Popeye cartoons. Republic owns everything else that is Fleischer. Most of the Republic stuff is preserved at UCLA from camera negatives.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Assuming you mean his first appearance in an animated cartoon, that is correct. (The character first appeared in the Thimble Theater comic strip.)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

The Betty Boop cartoon that Popeye appeared in was not included in the complete Betty Boop released on VHS a few years ago. I assume Warners has the rights to this cartoon and that in would be the first cartoon of the first set. Can anyone confirm?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I just hope they release them in order like they say they will,The problems
with not doing that can be seen in the next Looney Tunes set
I don't want to buy 10 four dvd sets and get all those famous shorts

It seems like I'll be buying a whole lot of looney tunes I don't want,and
waiting Years

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure that they'll be releasing these shorts chronologically, because it wouldn't make sense to release them any other way; for example, themed discs (like on the Looney Tunes Golden Collections) wouldn't work.

Otherwise, I can't wait to see this set... sounds like it will be amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks