What's new

WHV COMIC-CON ANNOUNCEMENT: Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 1 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Does anyone have any info on the number of film restorations that have been done but haven't been released eiither on DVD or this Blu-Ray? As in, not many, quite a few or lots and lots? I think I remember Jerry Beck mentioning that restoration priority was being given to higher-profile titles. Perhaps this is one reason that chronological or year sets aren't practical at this time.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Not being an LT completist, and not having purchased them on DVD, I may pick up the standard edition if it's heavily discounted. It sounds like enjoyable stuff.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Paul Penna

Does anyone have any info on the number of film restorations that have been done but haven't been released eiither on DVD or this Blu-Ray? As in, not many, quite a few or lots and lots? I think I remember Jerry Beck mentioning that restoration priority was being given to higher-profile titles. Perhaps this is one reason that chronological or year sets aren't practical at this time.

Most of these films, with the exception of title sequences, do not need restoration. The original negatives survive on the majority, and are readily printable.

RAH

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Maybe WB could release a box set of all the shorts they released on DVD, and then start new individual editions of the shorts not yet released

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's been eight years since the first Golden Collection. Did anyone complain when the DVDs had the same shorts as appeared on laserdisc and VHS? The major selling point for me is the way Blu-Ray can handle film grain. The grainier shorts had sporadic compression noise in fast motion. Some, like the early 1940s Technicolor shorts looked like they were being eaten away by digital noise. These issues are gone on even the bonus Robin Hood cartoons, which probably did not receive the same optimizing as the feature.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Patrick McCart said:
It's been eight years since the first Golden Collection. Did anyone complain when the DVDs had the same shorts as appeared on laserdisc and VHS? The major selling point for me is the way Blu-Ray can handle film grain. The grainier shorts had sporadic compression noise in fast motion. Some, like the early 1940s Technicolor shorts looked like they were being eaten away by digital noise. These issues are gone on even the bonus Robin Hood cartoons, which probably did not receive the same optimizing as the feature.
Well, the Golden Collection's big selling point is the "restoration" the cartoons underwent when presented on DVD (Mr. Harris is right that most are not really restored in the technical sense--just remastered and digitally cleaned up to remove dirt and scratches to give them a pristine look.) It's also what separated the Disney Treasures from the usual department store fodder short collections. As you say, Bluray transfers further help this preservation effort.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Robert Harris said:
Quote:

Want to release on DVD also.  Fine, but I don't see a need.

RAH
I like Robert Harris’ enthusiasm, but would argue that DVD releases are indeed necessary. Folks like myself have bought all six Golden Collections and have no intention of buying them again (even though a Blu upgrade is not a technical double-dip). Seeing them in HD would be nice, but it’s not going to happen when it means a repurchase of 360 (!) cartoons. That’s one-third of the catalog. Having someone who would know the costs lay out their prediction makes it even easier to believe it can be done, in a variety of ways. However, any new approach (chronological by year, by character, etc.) would need to take those 360 standard def films into account when planning the DVD version.

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
Robert Harris said:
I want to be clear in regard to my comments for a chronological set of the LT and MM shorts.

The early films, beginning with the Bosco shorts, probably have a very small audience waiting for them, and elements may be problematic. Those shorts, up to the mid-1930s, with the introduction of the currently known animated thespians, Porky, Daffy, Bugs, et al, could easily be released as a "best of" set on Blu-ray, but in standard definition. And by that I mean just a few discs.

The classic films, beginning around 1935-6, with Technicolor taking a foothold, can be brought out, and I believe, would sell well.

Keep In mind that the run of these films was almost over by the time we hit the mid-'60s. Although I've not checked my sources, Dana Martin's list certainly looks accurate, and serves as a fine point for discussion. Using the late 1930s, early '40s as a guide, there are approximately 300 minutes of animation at most per year.

That's 2 Blu-ray discs.

If packaged without one of Daffy's feathers, a genuine (hecho en china) rabbit's foot, or a package of bacon, these could be moderately priced for sell-through, and could hit the streets every few months.

That's how I'd do it, and I bet it would be profitable.

RAH
I wish there were more people with this kind of thinking making decisions at the studios! The more I think about it, the biggest the probability that I'm passing on this set (I''ve already pre-ordered the T&J though). The fact that I'm not a huge fan, the wrong approach of the release, they don't even focus on my favorite stuff, etc.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I'll say the only concern about this release I have is that since it was hinted last year this would include both a mixture of previously-released shorts from the Golden Collection (I own the first five volumes, so Chow Hound for example would be new to me) and newly restored shorts, it's disappointing to see there isn't a 50/50 ratio here on Volume 1. What's also perplexing is that if you're going to include all Witch Hazel shorts, where is Transylvania 6-5000? I know she only has a cameo, but it doesn't feel complete without it. A restored Hare-Way to the Stars is finally here and that's the one I've been anticipating for eight years, although I wish Warner had continued providing commentaries and music-only tracks for these newer shorts.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I think the cover art says it all ,they don't care ,They are only interested in promoting their cartoon stars and couldn't care about much more

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Peter Neski said:
I think the cover art says it all ,they don't care ,They are only interested in promoting their cartoon stars and couldn't care about much more
Yeah, it's really weird that they put some of the most famous characters in the history of the world on the cover over lesser known or obscure ones.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have it on good authority that Mr. Pig's representatives have already contacted Warner Home Video regarding precise this issue, and it appears to be heading to Federal Court.

RAH

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Is anyone else creeped out that the folks at WB thought it would be a good idea to include a liquor shooter glass in a cartoon collection?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Is anyone else creeped out that the folks at WB thought it would be a good idea to include a liquor shooter glass in a cartoon collection?

I'm actually more concerned about Warner Home Video vs. our planet, in general. A bunch of garbage created for the release, along with yet another piece of garbage in the form of a certificate of authenticity to prove that what we're receiving is genuine garbage. I've a feeling that most people will be able to do without:

Certificate of Authenticity

Framed Litho cel

2.5 oz shot glass

souvenir tin sign

and then the plastic box with slipcover.

And all of this presumably to support the growth of industry in China.

RAH

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

I'm actually more concerned about Warner Home Video vs. our planet, in general. A bunch of garbage created for the release, along with yet another piece of garbage in the form of a certificate of authenticity to prove that what we're receiving is genuine garbage. I've a feeling that most people will be able to do without:

Framed Litho cel

2.5 oz shot glass

souvenir tin sign

RAH

Amen!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Framed Litho cel

2.5 oz shot glass

souvenir tin sign

RAH

Double Amen!

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I for one am excited to see some of these cartoons in HD. I don't mind the double dip - and I'm paritcularly pleased that there are a number of classic Bob Clampett cartoons in the mix. It's not an ideal way to release the cartoons, and I would agree that it may mean that cartoons yet to see digital release are delayed further. Hopefully future volumes will have a sprinkling of well-known cartoons previously released in the Golden Collections and plenty of new-to-disc ones. I guess Warners surmised that the first bluray set needed a lot of the big name cartoons in order to sell - I dunno. I will say that I have very little interest in them releasing anything made after around 1960 - most of them are IMO almost worthless. Even many of the late 50s ones were of lesser quality.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I only bought the first two Golden Collections, so I'm definitely interested in getting this, especially if the AV quality is stellar. I'll wait for reviews.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Robert Harris said:
I'm actually more concerned about Warner Home Video vs. our planet, in general.  A bunch of garbage created for the release, along with yet another piece of garbage in the form of a certificate of authenticity to prove that what we're receiving is genuine garbage.  I've a feeling that most people will be able to do without:

Framed Litho cel

2.5 oz shot glass

souvenir tin sign

RAH

Does anybody remember when WB used to include some meaningful extras? I bought several movies previously that I may have otherwise passed on because they included some fascinating extras like mail-in offers for poster reproductions.....or how about the Amazon Mail-in offer for the complete Astaire and Rogers set (for people who had already bought the first set!!). In the past, they seemed to actually care about providing meaningful extras. I agree that the stuff in included in this set is absolute garbage with the possible exception of the book...but in all honesty, I would not expect much from it. How about thinking out of the box a little bit.
  • Instead of the miniature seri-cell, how about a contest where 1/500 people win an actual animation cell.....or maybe better odds of winning a full-size limited edition lithograph?
  • Instead of the book, include a coupon good towards an already existing book on Looney Tunes (which in all likelihood would be much much better!)
  • Instead of the shot-glass include absolutely nothing!!
  • Why not reach in to the past and repeat a poster offer. Personally, I would love to have a replica poster from an original Looney Tunes cartoon. (It would look great in my kid's room)
Even if I was interested in this set, I would most certainly not be buying the Ultimate set....because these things are all junk....and this is coming from a person who has bought the box-o-junk on multiple occasions in the past. Most of what is included in the Oz and Gone With Wind sets is actually worthwhile compared to this set.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You have to look at it from the perspective that about 50-60% of the pre-1946 shorts are badly written forgettable pap that is the epitome of "for die hards only". I'd love to see a complete fully restored presentation as well but its just not viable financially with a series as erratic as LT/MM is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks