What's new

WHV Announcement: When The Lion Roars (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
logos_lionroars.jpg

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Great news! I hope the mention of the '2009 TCM Classic Movies Promotion' means we will see a lot more Warner/MGM classics in 2009.

Also, somewhat selfishly, since I already own 'When The Lion Roars' on LD, I'm hoping the DVD contains some new bonus features.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
This is simply wonderful! Both this magnificent documentary and the previously announced "Waterloo Bridge" have been on my DVD want list forever.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

This is a must-have documentary that can be enjoyed over and over again. Nothing quite like it has ever been made about any other studio. It really focuses on all the history, the great films, stars and behind-the-screen talents and includes marvellous recollections by those who were part of the MGM star-system. 6 hours that really fly by in a wink.

Another DVD dream come true.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
This is awesome news! This is going to be a blind buy for me. I have heard nothing but great things about this documentary!

Thank you Warners! As far as I'm concerned 2009 is off to a great start!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
i recently got copies of copies from VHS, so I'll probably grab this. I'll hold thumbs for bonus content, as well as hope that it gets bundled with something so as to make it a better deal. Regardless, it shall be mine!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Looks like it will be a TCM exclusive. Hopefully it will mean more classic films from the TCM vaults, more Forbidden Hollywood, more silents.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

It's up for preorder on the Warner Bros Home Video site so not sure what you mean. It is $22.95.
MGM: When The Lion Roars from Warner Home Video on DVD -

I am guessing that the 2009 Classic Movies promotion will, at least in part, be the classic films coming to blu-ray and being re released in SD such as The Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind, North By Northwest, Ben Hur, Gigi, An American In Paris etc.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Another 'holy grail' item for me...one of the most interesting, and well produced television documentaries about film history that i can remember.
Now I can retire my vhs of this as well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DVD Debut of Emmy® Winning TV Series
Hits at Height of Award Season Buzz!

Burbank, Calif. October 8, 2008 –The movies changed forever on April 24, 1924 when a new studio, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, opened in Hollywood and soon assembled "more stars than there are in the heavens."

Patrick Stewart hosts the debut DVD version of MGM: When the Lion Roars, an enthralling three-part Emmy Award® winning TV series (Best Informational Series) that tells the story of the legendary “Dream Factory’s” reign as the movies’ class act and entertainment empire.

Louis B. Mayer, Joan Crawford, Stanley Donen, Clark Gable, Judy Garland, Jean Harlow, Helen Hayes, Katharine Hepburn, Gene Kelly, Myrna Loy, Mickey Rooney, Dore Schary, Norma Shearer, Elizabeth Taylor, Irving Thalberg, Spencer Tracy and Esther Williams are some of the MGM greats featured in memorable film clips, rare interviews and behind-the-scenes footage.

This is a “mother lode” for film fans, profiling perfectionist moguls, glamorous and charismatic actors, innovative filmmakers and landmark movies of drama, romance, sweeping epic adventure and, of course, singing and dancing.

The two two-disc DVD set will sell for $29.98 SRP.

MGM: WHEN THE LION ROARS
Street Date: January 20, 2009
Collection: $29.98 SRP
Not Rated

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Another laserdisc that I can retire. EXCELLENT!!

I watched this about two years ago and enjoyed tremendously. I also recall a great number of titles being discussed in the documentary that were not yet on DVD. I'm sure there are still a significant number, and hopefully they find a way to tie some of these stray titles in to this release.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
Here is yet another press release without any extras listed. Hopefully there will be a revised press release with extras, as this is a release that deserves extras. I was hoping for "Some of the Best" & "The MGM Story" shorts along with "Lionpower" and all the "Romance of Celluloid" shorts, 1925 Mgm Studio Tour, MGM 40th Anniversary, MGM Preview Of Hits 1964 & the MGM Auction Footage of 1970.I would pay double if this was loaded with extras.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
With only 2 discs, I doubt it'll be loaded with extras. The documentary itself is like 6 hours long, so I wouldn't expect another Jazz Singer package with this release. Though some extra shorts would be welcomed!

Now if only WHV would reissue "HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU, WARNER BROS." which was only released as a bonus in a lousy snapper case as part of their now out-of-print 'Legends Collection'. It would be nice to have the option to purchase this as a standalone in a brand new keep case. With the promotion for that box set long past and the materials already prepared, I'm not sure why this hasn't been done already?

PS: forgot the obligatory.... FINALLY!!! :D :D :D

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Hopefully we will soon hear an announcement of the DVD release of the PBS two part show You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story. I did not see the show and was looking forward to sitting back and enjoying at my leisure on DVD. The companion book is good, where is the DVD?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This is such a great documentury. I don't mind no extra's, the whole thing is one big extra, all those clips & fantastic interviews, & all on just two discs, so quite cheap.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I agree that since it is only 2 discs which means 3 hours of program on each disc that there will most likely be no extras. Per an old chat, Warners mentioned that this documentary was prepared for DVD release some time ago. They were waiting for the right time to release and promote it. Since they have now decided to release it I think this is a great sign for classic movie fans, such as myself, that we are going to get some great movies released in 2009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks