What's new

WHV Announcement: Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Volume Two (Blu-ray) (DVD) (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Traveling Matt said:
From Facebook Friday... "Warner Bros. Home Entertainment carefully monitors all content it plans for release. While undertaking a review of "Tom and Jerry: The Golden Collection Volume 2," the company felt that certain content would be inappropriate for the intended audience and therefore excluded several shorts." https://www.facebook.com/WBClassicAnimation
Heh, isn't the "intended audience" suppose to be the adult collector? At least that's the lip service advertised on Vol. 1. :rolleyes:

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
people should start plastering their facebook with the boilerplate from the TJ golden collection vol 1 to better illustrate what hypocrites and idiots WB are about the release of vol2

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
As with Spotlight Collection V.3, that Warner is omitting these two shorts but including the much worse "His Mouse Friday" isn't just stupid, it's blatantly hypocritical. And if there wasn't a clearer indication that any release of the Censored 11 Looney Tunes is dead in the water...

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Kevin Martinez said:
As with Spotlight Collection V.3, that Warner is omitting these two shorts but including the much worse "His Mouse Friday" isn't just stupid, it's blatantly hypocritical. And if there wasn't a clearer indication that any release of the Censored 11 Looney Tunes is dead in the water...
Since they censored His Mouse Friday on the Spotlight set by zooming and cropping out the "offensive" material, I wouldn't be surprised to see them repeat that with the Blu-ray

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I wouldn't describe myself as an avid animation collector, but I've bought and enjoyed the Looney Tunes BDs, as well as the first T&J collection. The idea that Vol. 2 has been censored is revolting. Moreover, it's absolutely condescending and patronising for WHV to assume that I can't handle these "racist" depictions of certain characters, or am unable to place them in the context of when they were made. This is made even worse by the fact that they keep repeating that this set is for the "adult collector". I'm 34, and I'm pretty sure that makes me an adult who is able to differentiate between outdated characterisations from cartoons, and genuine racial prejudice and misunderstanding. Definitely, absolutely, 100% NO-SALE for me. It's a real shame.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
As stated earlier, I have the US DVDs with the missing 2 cartoons as well as the 2 missing cartoons on the german set . I can not say that the two missing cartoons are in any way. Maybe they need an eye test. Since I was born in 1935 (NOT 1035 as earlier statement) I can say like an earlier poster that I am also an adult-

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
As stated earlier, I have the US DVDs without the missing 2 cartoons- I have the 2 missing cartoons on the German set as stated earlier. . I can not say that the two missing cartoons are in any way "bad".. Maybe they need an eye test. Since I was born in 1935 (NOT 1035 as earlier statement) I can say like an earlier poster that I am also an adult.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by JoHud
Heh, isn't the "intended audience" suppose to be the adult collector? At least that's the lip service advertised on Vol. 1.
And that is the press release of volume 2 as well, but once more this is not going to be a "Golden" collection, I have fought hard to not come on here and write some disparaging remarks, but this is beyond all belief. This is a total slap in the face of every "Classic Tom & Jerry Theatrical" fan. I understand the concept that this is released by the family division, which it should not be, they have never seen this for what it is. My only hope is that the barrage will continue until someone at WB gets called on the carpet for this bad decision.
And all the complaints are what will keep them honest, it’s a shame that as an adult collector but more as a fan, that at 50 years of age, I can’t see a cartoon, because it "might" be offensive, when on the cover it states intended for the adult collector, get your story straight WB! I have a feeling that this has alienated a lot of people, just by this board, their very own Facebook page and the negative reviews on Amazon. And that is going to affect sales, just letting you know in advance.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
EddieLarkin said:
Since they censored His Mouse Friday on the Spotlight set by zooming and cropping out the "offensive" material, I wouldn't be surprised to see them repeat that with the Blu-ray
I remember when His Mouse Friday had to be aired with Jerry completely silent, before eventually being taken out of TV runs. :eek: Think Warner knows they can "get away" with more studio fooling with the T&J cartoons because "no one would notice", ie. there aren't enough core fans to stick up for it-- They're house classics, and they can get new-generation fans who know the characters from the new DTV features, but what T&J don't have is the diehard Looney fans that would storm the gate if they dared touch a hair of Bugs Bunny's head, with the Cartoon Network series or "Back in Action". T&J is sort of a safe haven for Warner, where they can do to the cartoons all the "easy" mainstream things they'd always wanted to do to the Looneys to save time, but core fans wouldn't let them. It's a lazy bit of complacency fans should shake Warner out of, and if it is a double standard, it's one nobody was around to police against.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I think that there is a serious core fan base, much like there is one for Woody Woodpecker and the Lantz cartoons as well of which i am both rabid fans of. Granted it is not as large as that for LT, but that could be from volume of output as well? But with this way of thinking it makes one wonder if this “conscious of political correctness “ will follow over into the future LT platinum collections, are they to be absent of Foghorn Leghorn, clearly a Loudmouth Southern “Redneck” or Speedy Gonzales, because of what he may or may not represent.
One of the posters on the WB Classic Animation Facebook page in his response posed the question that if it was such a concern why this just wasn’t released via Warner Archive, that way it would have been more controlled, and obviously more with the Adult Collector in mind. The reason that didn’t happen is clearly how many units that can be sold, and what kind of profit can be made, understandable; after all it is a business.
They could have gone the Twilight Time route and done a limited edition run, and people would have complained about that as well.
I can think of a different solution that no one here would want, but would seem to soften the blow possibly, offer a properly authored disc with the two cartoons via and exchange program. That way, we ADULT COLLECTORS are happy and they can sale as many copies as they like at Wal-Mart to Soccer Mom’s just picking up the kids something to watch. I know that is not an optimum way, but it would be in keeping with the spirit of the original announcement that after all the years that Tom and Jerry were finally going to get a proper release treatment.
In a week after “Hollywood’s biggest night” and they are all ready to pat each other on the back and honor their Award recipient’s, just a note to WB, Tom and Jerry won 7 Oscars that is 6 more Oscars than Bugs Bunny, maybe that is why the snub.
I fear that a bad release sale wise will kill these releases, and I had such high hopes of a complete theatrical set. HB-Dietch-Jones, with this I don’t know what will happen. Will we make it to the Dietch /Jones toons, which I personally believe to be more than an inspiration for Itchy and Scratchy and any other incarnation of T&J.
Please keep this thread alive, sign the petitions, make the Facebook post, this being done or corrected is up to US we do have some involvement on this being corected.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
dana martin said:
I think that there is a serious core fan base, much like there is one for Woody Woodpecker and the Lantz cartoons as well of which i am both rabid fans of. Granted it is not as large as that for LT, but that could be from volume of output as well?
No, largely from T&J's image as Itchy & Scratchy, ie., seen as the "violent" slapstick cartoon that didn't have the pathos of Chuck Jones or the screwball wit of Tex Avery, or even the universal Keaton-ism to its falling anvils of Wile E. Coyote. Yes, there are some folks who see the "genius" in it (and I never found Woody remotely sympathetic, m'self), but it's a fringe even with animation buffs. Most go out of their way say how well animated, or well directed, the MGM studio era was, but you don't find most folks rushing to T&J's defense whenever stories what had to be censored come up--On that front, it wasn't exactly a martyr.
But with this way of thinking it makes one wonder if this “conscious of political correctness “ will follow over into the future LT platinum collections, are they to be absent of Foghorn Leghorn, clearly a Loudmouth Southern  “Redneck” or Speedy Gonzales, because of what he may or may not represent.
No, and that's the point: LT is rescued by that indefinable quality called "wit", where the gags are slapstick enough, but the characters have enough personality to speak for themselves, and we identify with them. (Well, except for Speedy, of course, since Friz Freleng found ethnic stereotypes hilariously funny in and of themselves.) Consider for example that Bill & Joe stole...er, borrowed all their old MGM players when the studio closed down to turn them into the first Hanna-Barbera characters (eg. Yogi = the dancing bear, Huck = Droopy's slow-drawling wolf, The Flintstones = "The First Texas Badman", etc.), turned the cat-and-mouse battle into the Pixie & Dixie cartoons, and...well, admit it, who do you just end up sympathizing with more, Tom, or Mr. Jinks?
In a week after “Hollywood’s biggest night” and they are all ready to pat each other on the back and honor their Award recipient’s, just a note to WB, Tom and Jerry won 7 Oscars that is 6 more Oscars than Bugs Bunny, maybe that is why the snub
4 more, if you're talking about Warner/Looney in general. (Everybody always leaves out "Birds Anonymous" and "For Scent-imental Reasons".)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have the German Tom and Jerry disks. There are 12 disks - the first 9 are Hanna-Barbera and the last 3 are Gene Deitsch and Chuck Jones. I believe the versions in England are double sided DVDs so that England 1 contains German 1 on side 1 and German 2 on side 2 etc On German disk 3 is an unedited (I assume) of "Mouse Cleaning" and German disk 5 has "Casanova Cat" also unedited (I assume). Also on this disk is also "His Mouse Friday" which appears to be edited like the version on the DVD "Spotlight Collection Vol 3"- The german diisks have english menus with the cartoon's english names. The disk from England and Germany are region 2 and PAL and the "Spotlight Collection" are NTSC and region codes 1,2,3 and 4.

DaveK

Second Unit
Traveling Matt said:
From Facebook Friday... "Warner Bros. Home Entertainment carefully monitors all content it plans for release. While undertaking a review of "Tom and Jerry: The Golden Collection Volume 2," the company felt that certain content would be inappropriate for the intended audience and therefore excluded several shorts." https://www.facebook.com/WBClassicAnimation
They removed that post from the page...hopefully that's a good sign

Real Name
Luigi Gennaro
Sorry if this has been posted already, but here are some ways we can make our voices heard to Warner Brothers more louder and clearer: Here's the snail mail address of the President of Warner Home Entertainment Group. Please everyone write to this man and let him know how you feel about T & J Volume # 2. Most important, be polite and professional and make your point in a logical non-confrontational manner, remember you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Here is the address: Mr. Kevin Tsujihara President-Warner Home Entertainment Group 4000 Warner Boulevard Burbank, California 91522 Mr. Tsujihara is being promoted to company CEO on March 1, 2013 an his successor has not been named as yet. Please address all letters to him at his current title. This is the best way to get out point across. - here's the marketing director's email address. Same thing: be civil and make your point in a logical non-confrontational manner - [email protected] - sign petition here http://www.thepetitionsite.com/977/108/796/please-put-casanova-cat-and-mouse-cleaning-on-tom-and-jerry-golden-collection-vol2/ - Add a 1 star review on Amazon for Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Vol 2 stating that Warners need to release these cartoons and if they do you'll change the review to 5 stars. - Send a message via http://www.warnerbros.com/help/customer-service.html (picking the dvd/blu ray option) and let them know you want the other two cartoons released. You don't have to do all of them but the more people do this hopefully will get Warners to change their minds! Oh and continue to spread the word!

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
It's still there https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=523226667722321&set=a.357324707645852.89347.254085481303109&type=1&comment_id=1671947&offset=50&total_comments=130

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
sewolawen73 said:
You don't have to do all of them but the more people do this hopefully will get Warners to change their minds! Oh and continue to spread the word!
I disagree. Everyone should let Warner Home Video know through every channel and opportunity available that they are upset that these two cartoons are purposefully being left off this GOLDEN COLLECTION set. Write everyone possible and let your voice be heard as many times as possible. Remember: "Whoever screams the loudest gets the most attention."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks