What's new

WHV Announcement: Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles Chuck Jones Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Originally Posted by Rob Kilbride /t/320601/whv-announcement-looney-tunes-mouse-chronicles-chuck-jones-collection-blu-ray/30#post_3940662
Any other BJS fans out there?

"I feel lahk peskee bee-vare."

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
(And because nobody quotes Bonanza Bunny: )
"I win...21 of hearts! Har har, hardee-HAR-har!"
I'd still, ah say, I'd still rather have the complete Foggy, though.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Because nothing sells like hot cakes like Bob McKimson!

That's a joke son.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
bigshot said:
Warner is clueless about how to package cartoons. They cater to OCD completists. No one wants to watch every Sniffles cartoon in chronological order. They want a carefully programmed mix with a good variety of characters, directors and eras.
When they released the Golden Collections, people complained about having a mix of cartoons and said that if they really wanted to increase sales, then they would do "character" sets--all of the cartoons starring one character. The Golden Collections stopped selling as much as WB would have liked, so now, they release character sets, and people say the opposite. And they released those 2-disc versions of the GC for those who don't want everything, which also seemed to have failed. They'll never please everyone.
However, I actually agree with you in that I would prefer a variety of cartoons, because, like you said, it's hard to believe that the average fan would "want to watch every Sniffles cartoon in chronological order"--it's just too repetitive.
If any of these cartoons end up on the next Blu-ray Platinum collection you can comfortably add me to the teeth gnasher chorus
Speaking as a fan who bought every one of the Golden Collections, I haven't bought a single Looney Tunes set since because I'm lost as to what their strategy is--are these going to show up in a future platinum collection, or do I need to buy these character-driven sets, or is the platinum series going to be cancelled after a couple of releases or what. I know it's dependent on sales, but I just don't feel like double dipping over and over.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Lord Dalek said:
Because nothing sells like hot cakes like Bob McKimson!
That's a joke son.
Just off on a tangent, here--Is that a "Bob McKimson isn't as sellable as Chuck Jones" joke, or is that more of the inexplicable grudge-hatred shown by animation buffs to McKimson...Yeah, I know he did the crappy 60's cartoons for DePatie-Freleng but sorry, I missed out on the early part of the story; what'd he do, was he friendly with the Committee like Elia Kazan, or something? :confused:
I could rattle off a list of my ten personal funniest Bugs Bunny cartoons, and I know for a fact seven of them would be McKimson, and two Chucks at best. (And a guaranteed minimum four Chucks on any list of Ten UN-Funniest Bugs Ever.)
If it was just an "obscurity" joke, um, as you were, but it didn't stop them doing all those Frank Tashlin tributes on the DVD's.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It's just that his later 50s and 60s efforts are considered lesser to Jones' and Freleng's output by some animation buffs. Nothing else, really. I agree that his name is less bankable than the other two, though some of his character stars--particularly Foghorn and Taz--certainly are.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
McKimson was arguably the greatest animator at Warners. He directed some fantastic cartoons, but Jones and Freleng regularly raided his unit for talent, leaving him with the weakest animators to back him up.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I tend to watch these sets as only a couple of cartoons at a time to a)stretch them out and b)not have them be too repetitious. So I mind a little less that Warners is doing this set as I know I won't sit there and watch all 19 cartoons back to back anyhow. That said, I am hoping for a Platinum Collection Vol. 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks