What's new

WHV Announcement: Hatari, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and El Dorado (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
ahollis said:
I'm going to give this to you until I find the thread and post where at the Paramount HTF meeting last year one of the Paramount executives told an HTF member that the Hepburn movies were not included and the Wayne films were.
You've won the argument. That image clinches it. The Paramount logo is clearly visible towards the bottom of the cover and the Paramount Internet address is given while the top shows a label confirming the disc was "distributed" by Warners. Exactly what you said. You've been vindicated.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Didier R said:
Crazy talk! When it comes to this year's catalogue output, WB has been beaten to the punch by Fox! Boooo Warner, viva la Fox!
I can't agree more. Fox is the catalog winner of 2013. I hope that the James Dean Collection, and their other recent vintage catalog releases are a sign that we will see increased catalog output in 2014. I'm not going to issue Warner that much praise until they match Fox's output.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Paul_Warren said:
Gunfight has the potential to look incredible on BD as its a VistaVision title lets hope they went all out on this.
One of RAH's "Yellow Dye Failure" columns for The Digital Bits concerned Gunfight At The OK Corral. He interviewed a Paramount person who spoke about when they made the DVD and the problems they faced. On some reels the OCN was unusable and they had to work from the B&W separations. Of course, several years have passed since then and restoration techniques have improved. Several people have spoken highly of the HD stream playing these days. The biggest flaw I noticed in the DVD was flickering brightness at times. This film is probably my favorite Western and I hope they put their best effort into it as well.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I agree with John about the flickering, but I thought that overall it was quite a good DVD. There were no extras and I am doubtful about there being any on the blu-ray. This is my favourite western and I am so glad that it was filmed in VistaVision. Could we have High Society next, please?

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Keith Cobby said:
I agree with John about the flickering, but I thought that overall it was quite a good DVD. There were no extras and I am doubtful about there being any on the blu-ray. This is my favourite western and I am so glad that it was filmed in VistaVision. Could we have High Society next, please?
Given that MGM's last Golden Age musical, "Billy Rose's Jumbo" was recently reissued by Warner Archives in blu, I'm hoping THIS will be TOO!!!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
haineshisway said:
While I'd hope that Hatari was not quite the mess that the European transfer is, I think that hope will be dashed.
Yeah, it's not great. The colors look dull, sometimes purple-ish (especially the sky), and there are frequently columns on the left and right edges of the image that are darker than the middle, almost like the mismatching panels of Cinerama presentations. This film once had eye-popping greens, but they seem washed-out here. I can't believe this came from an OCN (if that even exists anymore), but surely a better effort could have been made from the source they did use.

My German copy has exactly the same artwork as the upcoming U.S. release, so I think you're right -- it will probably sport the same lackluster transfer as the European one. I have a soft spot for this leisurely-paced film. It relaxes me. Except when it frustrates me, as it does when it looks lousy on home video.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Dick said:
My German copy has exactly the same artwork as the upcoming U.S. release, so I think you're right -- it will probably sport the same lackluster transfer as the European one. I have a soft spot for this leisurely-paced film. It relaxes me. Except when it frustrates me, as it does when it looks lousy on home video.
Does it come with any special features?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John Hermes said:
One of RAH's "Yellow Dye Failure" columns for The Digital Bits concerned Gunfight At The OK Corral. He interviewed a Paramount person who spoke about when they made the DVD and the problems they faced. On some reels the OCN was unusable and they had to work from the B&W separations. Of course, several years have passed since then and restoration techniques have improved. Several people have spoken highly of the HD stream playing these days. The biggest flaw I noticed in the DVD was flickering brightness at times. This film is probably my favorite Western and I hope they put their best effort into it as well.
Yes, I've seen a broadcast version of 'Gunfight' in HD; from the moment the opening titles kick-in, it's clear the viewer is in for a VistaVision treat. No flickering at all; genuine eye candy.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Very happy to report that new Blu-ray of Gunfight at the O.K. Corral is... well, O.K.

Actually, it's better than O.K. This great, classic VistaVision western now looks and sounds fantastic in 1080p and DTS-HD MA 5.1.

I'll let the pros either praise or pick apart this transfer. But I'm giving it 5 out of 5 stars!

Today I'm one happy camper. :)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
It got reviewed here a few days ago great news it has a reasonable transfer shame I have to wait 2-3 weeks to get mine from amazon.com as they are only selling this in US right now but its region free so I expect someone @ WB will wake up around fathers day & think it might be a good idea to sell a classic western to the global market ;)
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gunfight-at-the-OK-Corral-Blu-ray/90066/#Review

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Reviewers are giving thumbs up to Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and El Dorado, but a big thumbs down to Hatari!, which is apparently a very old master. Also it should be noted that El Dorado does not contain a 5.1 remix as listed on the back cover.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just ordered El Dorado from an Amazon UK Marketplace seller, only £11.18 delivered (all the way from America, not bad at all). I'm glad I waited for the US release, as I don't think the European release has any of the extras. I know Gunfight looks great, as I saw it in HD on the telly last year, but I'm not going to buy it, as I found it a bit slow going & talky.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mark-P said:
Reviewers are giving thumbs up to Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and El Dorado, but a big thumbs down to Hatari!, which is apparently a very old master. Also it should be noted that El Dorado does not contain a 5.1 remix as listed on the back cover.
I never was impressed with any release of HATARI!, from the first VHS to Laser to DVD. The HATARI! Blu-ray is still far from perfect but it is clear, bright and better than any of the past releases. I am disappointed with Paramount but also wonder what the condition of the elements are or were? Anybody have information? I also wonder if filming on location in Africa gave problems to the original negative. I was to young to see this in Theatres so I would like to hear what some members that did see it in Theatres thought. GUNFIGHT AT O.K. CORRAL is a Vistavision treasure and looks great.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
ahollis said:
I never was impressed with any release of HATARI!, from the first VHS to Laser to DVD. The HATARI! Blu-ray is still far from perfect but it is clear, bright and better than any of the past releases. I am disappointed with Paramount but also wonder what the condition of the elements are or were? Anybody have information? I also wonder if filming on location in Africa gave problems to the original negative. I was to young to see this in Theatres so I would like to hear what some members that did see it in Theatres thought. GUNFIGHT AT O.K. CORRAL is a Vistavision treasure and looks great.
I remember seeing Hatari! and Big Red on the same double bill at the State theater here in San Diego in 1962 when I was ten years old. Sorry, all you guys with the out-of-this-world memories, I don't recall what the prints looked like!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I remember seeing Hatari! and Big Red on the same double bill at the State theater here in San Diego in 1962 when I was ten years old. Sorry, all you guys with the out-of-this-world memories, I don't recall what the prints looked like!
The same here, I can just remember films looking great, well it was the cinema. When I read people saying that a film was projected in 1:66 & not 1:85, I'm thinking; oh come on!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sick day.

Spent the morning watching Hatari.

First time I have seen this movie.

Despite the film being a bit too long, I immensely enjoyed it.

John Wayne was just great and Michèle Girardon (Brandy) was
very easy on the eyes.

Was pleasantly surprised to find this was the film that featured the
infamous instrumental, Baby Elephant Walk.

Love discovering these John Wayne films. El Dorado is next on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks