What's new

WHV Announce: The Green Berets (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by ahollis

Considering how haphazard Warners has treated this film in the past, I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. I believe this will be the first anamorphic release. As bad as this film can be at times (just the ending is enough), it is a fun film and all John Wayne. It will see it's way into my home.
Blu-ray isn't anamorphic.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Really? Biggest box office hit of 1968? Hmmm. There seem to be ten other pictures that outgrossed it that year - 2001: A Space Odyssey, Funny Girl, The Odd Couple, Planet Of The Apes, Bullitt, Rosemary's Baby, Oliver, Romeo and Juliet to name eight - you know, little hits like those?

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I believe that The Green Berets was the biggest box office hit of 1968 starring arguably the biggest box office star of all time. Not what I would call obscure.

Doug

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman

Really? Biggest box office hit of 1968? Hmmm. There seem to be ten other pictures that outgrossed it that year - 2001: A Space Odyssey, Funny Girl, The Odd Couple, Planet Of The Apes, Bullitt, Rosemary's Baby, Oliver, Romeo and Juliet to name eight - you know, little hits like those?
Depending on which source you use which in my case is Reel Facts and how they total the box office receipts (calendar year vs. accumulated total), "The Green Berets" was number 10 in 1968, while Funny Girl, Bullitt, Romeo and Juliet and Oliver were in the top ten for 1969, probably due to those films being released in the Fall of 1968. Also, "2001" was number 11 in 1968, but I understand your point as the top box office draw for that year "The Graduate" which actually was released in December, 1967 has been released on BRD along with a couple of others that outgrossed "The Green Berets". However, he did use the word "believe" which indicated he wasn't exactly sure about that comment.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

Blu-ray isn't anamorphic.
I was really refering to the three SD releaes that were not anamorphic, however it will be presented in widescreen (16x9 2.4:1). It will be good to see the film fill the screen without having to zoom.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Yeah, but he used "believed" as if he believed it [/url]

Depending on which source you use which in my case is Reel Facts and how they total the box office receipts (calendar year vs. accumulated total), "The Green Berets" was number 10 in 1968, while Funny Girl, Bullitt, Romeo and Juliet and Oliver were in the top ten for 1969, probably due to those films being released in the Fall of 1968. Also, "2001" was number 11 in 1968, but I understand your point as the top box office draw for that year "The Graduate" which actually was released in December, 1967 has been released on BRD along with a couple of others that outgrossed "The Green Berets". However, he did use the word "believe" which indicated he wasn't exactly sure about that comment.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman

Well I wasn't totally sure, but I thought it was number 1 or close to it. I knew that for the time it was a big money maker, having made around 10 million, comparable to Planet of the Apes box office. However it surely wasn't a bomb or obscure.

Doug

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, it wasn't a very good movie, but it did have a couple of scenes that I still remember, even though I haven't seen it in years. The camp being overrun and "Spooky"; although I can't remember if it was referred to as "Spooky" or "Puff" in the film. I vaguely remember it as "Spooky".

I can understand them releasing it. War films will sell well in general and John Wayne as the lead can't help but boost sales. Also, this film must have sold fairly well on DVD in order for WB to decide to release it on Blu.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The film will sell, as will Tango and Cash and Catwoman but really - why not release the big guns and we're still waiting for the 70MM epics and such from HD "Mutiny on the Bounty" "Grand Prix"

Plus "Ryan's Daughter" "Doctor Zhivago" (sometime in 2010) or true classics like "Mister roberts" "The Music Man" "A Streetcar Named Desire" "Auntie Mame" "Around the World in 80 Days" "My Fair Lady" etc

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I am real happy that Warner Brothers is releasing The Green Berets on BLU-Ray. As has been stated, the standard DVD releases are not anamorphic widescreen so it will be great to see The Green Berets as it should be seen. John Wayne is Hollywood's Number 1 star covering the past 70 years (hard to believe but yes 70 years since 1939) and there have been very few Wayne films released so far on Blu-Ray. It is way past time for more John Wayne films to be released on BLU-Ray by all the studios that own his films. As for Warner Brothers, I hope very much that they will release the 1974 John Wayne movie MCQ on Blu-Ray soon. Thank you Warner Brothers for announcing The Green Berets for release on BLU-Ray and please release soon MCQ 1974 on Blu-Ray.

Robert

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I received my review copy today. Since it is after street date, I will try to watch it tonight and get the review written and posted ASAP.

FYI, the most recent SD DVD version of "The Green Berets" is 16:9 enhanced. I have it as part of the "TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: War - Battlefront Asia" DVD set. The ".VOB" files have a date of February 2009. Was this perhaps the subject of a "quiet" remaster last year or did the title get remastered when they issued it as part of the John Wayne Collection in an Amaray case in 2007, and they just did some minor tweaking of promos and/or menus? I never owned it in the circa 1997 snapper case or in the 2007 re-issue/re-package.

Regards,

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Simply put, John Wayne movies sell on home video.
True, but I wish Paramount would get that memo and put out "True Grit," "The Shootist," "The High and the Mighty," "Rio Lobo" and the rest of the herd they have over there. C'mon Paramount, move 'em out!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been sitting on my BRD for a few days now, but will try to watch it today.

Crawdaddy

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I too plan on blind-buying this movie but I don't understand all the hate toward it. When people call it a "bad" movie, do they mean it is dull, campy, low budget or what? Another film that doesn't get a lot of love is Eastwood's The Gauntlet. As silly and inplausible as it may be it is a hugely entertaining and gritty action flick that I can watch over and over and I would never call it a bad movie just because its a bit over the top. I'm hoping to at least be entertained by Green Berets, that's all I'm asking for.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
The Green Berets is a decent enough movie...it's not one of my favorites as far as Wayne goes but it's funny how when it's on TV I end up watching most of it. Some people don't like it's heavy handed patriotism and politics but then again how many movies in the 40's were over the top like that. If anything it's an interesting movie to watch for the time it was released. If you like gritty movies, it certainly is very gritty.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I watched it a couple nights ago and will be posting a review tomorrow. The disc looks very good. The film though isn't one of Wayne's best, at least in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks